GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,184
2 members and 1,182 guests
FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 12-08-2015, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Advisor Issues

Thank you both for the advice!

@clemsongirl: I've heard many chapters do that, especially other gamma phi chapters. I hope we can do the same because I think that's a great idea!

@jenidallas: I was thinking of possibly bringing the coordinators, as a last ditch effort, but I'm also hoping that the conversation with advisors alone will hopefully do the job!

Last edited by candygirl200413; 12-09-2015 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you have more than one advisor? If the "cool" advisor isn't willing to enforce policy are the other advisors on board with this as well or unaware of her opinions? It sounds like an advisory board meeting with exec board is needed ASAP.

My chapter requires all non-exec officers to be sober monitors at one social event throughout their term (crush party, mixer, formal or semi formal) and exec officers to be sober monitors at three events per semester. For our formal and semi formal, which are bused functions, the sober exec officers are in charge of taking attendance at the buses, handing wristbands out to girls and dates who are 21 and telling sisters and their dates when they are not sober enough to attend the function. We also have general members volunteer to be "sober sisters", where they pledge not to drink for the event and to help their sisters if it's needed. Clemson Greek Life requires a certain number of sober sisters per number of people at the event, but we've never had an issue getting enough girls to sign up because it's a point in our points system for us.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candygirl200413 View Post
I do understand their position though, because what person wants to spend their friday/saturday night with drunk young adults when they could be living their life? But I'm also like we still kind of need your guidance, especially with major events like this.
I couldn't tell from your post if you are currently on exec or not. I'd encourage your chapter president to discuss with the chapter advisor - or if that's the issue, with your managing regional coordinator.

IH has given chapter advisors very specific guidelines as of this past school year (begging this fall) of what CAs can and can't do before/during social events (including bus loading) so some of what you perceive as a switch may actually be policy. But this is definitely the kind of issue that regional coordinators like to talk through with advisors and exec because we want to help chapters learn to appropriate manage risk issues as well as have successful social events.