GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,378
0 members and 2,378 guests
No Members online

Old 12-01-2013, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah, Hazing

We as Greeks are doing more harm to ourselves by hazing!

It seems while we are in expansion, then GLO's do stupid things as hazing!!!!

People have died or have been injuried. So I wonder how many chapters being opened are negated by those being closed?

I am anti hazing, but because of hazing, we cannot even have a study time for N As. Dar, we are trying to keep grades up so either they can be initiated or keep our Actives off suspension!

For Alums, I suggest as I do! Tell your Chapter if you catch them hazing, do as I told mine, if I catch you, I will turn you in to IHQ!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-01-2013, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I think there is more to it than threats of reporting chapters to iHQ. These chapters that perpetually haze will just endeavor to hide their behavior from you. Part of the process is modeling appropriate behavior and expectations for a chapter from IHQ down to the alum level with a consistent, unambiguous message. Many of these chapters get mixed messages with chapter alums wanting to preserve "traditions" this undermining the work of HQ and alumni working with the chapter that tow the line. It's like having mom tell you "No" but running to dad when you want your own way.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

As alums, integrate yourselves into the most problematic parts of membership intake. I assure you, hazing cannot occur when a member of your advisory board is present at every single possibly problematic event.

--unless you have an alumni problem and that's a different set of problems.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-02-2013, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I favor making pledges earn their letters but I never did understand the concept of hazing when that is taken to mean the sort of stupid and dangerous practices that cause hurt to pledges and closure of chapters. I always asked how can you beat hell out of a pledge before initiation and call him your brother for life after initiation. If someone beats hell out of me they are probably going to have me beating hell out of them. No one should roll over and submit to degradation and injury. Sweat hell out of them to earn their place in the brotherhood but make it positive or don't do it.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post
I favor making pledges earn their letters but I never did understand the concept of hazing when that is taken to mean the sort of stupid and dangerous practices that cause hurt to pledges and closure of chapters. I always asked how can you beat hell out of a pledge before initiation and call him your brother for life after initiation. If someone beats hell out of me they are probably going to have me beating hell out of them. No one should roll over and submit to degradation and injury. Sweat hell out of them to earn their place in the brotherhood but make it positive or don't do it.
Kevin/dekeguy could no agree with both more!
The mentality of Alums who say, well, I went through it why cannot they is ignorant/stupid,inane and on and on!

Why would I or anyone want to have a P N M to be a Brother/Sister and then abuse them? Notice I included Sorority in Sisters as well as it seems some of them do it also!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Banned

Is this intentionally redundant? Aren't there anti-hazing threads already?
Old 12-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Banned

I think there are lots of anti everything bad threads. And the worst part is that each one of them gives an over abunance of great ideas and opinions of how to have a great chapter and to make better men and women, etc.....

The SAD fact is that, to those that are reading these posts, you are "preaching to the choir" mostly, and the ones that REALLY need to learn better habits, will never hear what is said, not care enough to come here to check out what to do.

I was a founding father of my chapter and I walked away from my chapter becuase I felt that I could not change the minds of my fellow brothers who had an inward sense about the house and a small drug problem. They did not want to better the image of the house on campus and becuase at every meeting I would try to talk to them about ideas to give us a better image, they tried to have me expelled from the fraternity. Our DGM came down, had a meeting and pointed out several things about me, like being the only brother in the house who was ritually proficient, and had won the chapters only scholarship award given by the fraternity, and also served on a national committee, but these did not matter because I just wasn't fitting in with them. So I walked away, and let the chapter run it's course on its own terms. Needless to say, the chapter closed its doors three years later due to not having enough members to operate the organization.

So, to all these threads that are against chapters and members who do dumb things, yay, but I seriously doubt any ideas on here would help those who need it most.

BG
Old 12-02-2013, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank You but one more complaint thread could never hurt, and I feel so bad/sad for your experience.

You sir ars very gracious!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Is this intentionally redundant? Aren't there anti-hazing threads already?
I don't really see the need to enforce a redundancy rule for this forum. I kind of disagree with the "do a search" rule anyhow (and at least as of now, I'm the moderator of this part of the board, so I guess my opinion carries a little weight). This is a forum, not a wiki page. Also, if I was an admin, I would welcome the new posts because forums stay relevant because they generate new content. We have 10+ years of great content throughout GC. If you really wanted to apply such a concept, we could just lock every forum except those dealing in current events--and really, for RM, would it be anything more than the occasional observance that Phi Kappa whatever at State University was butt chugging and we all agree that it was a bad thing?
Old 12-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeguy View Post
I think there are lots of anti everything bad threads. And the worst part is that each one of them gives an over abunance of great ideas and opinions of how to have a great chapter and to make better men and women, etc.....

The SAD fact is that, to those that are reading these posts, you are "preaching to the choir" mostly, and the ones that REALLY need to learn better habits, will never hear what is said, not care enough to come here to check out what to do.

I was a founding father of my chapter and I walked away from my chapter becuase I felt that I could not change the minds of my fellow brothers who had an inward sense about the house and a small drug problem. They did not want to better the image of the house on campus and becuase at every meeting I would try to talk to them about ideas to give us a better image, they tried to have me expelled from the fraternity. Our DGM came down, had a meeting and pointed out several things about me, like being the only brother in the house who was ritually proficient, and had won the chapters only scholarship award given by the fraternity, and also served on a national committee, but these did not matter because I just wasn't fitting in with them. So I walked away, and let the chapter run it's course on its own terms. Needless to say, the chapter closed its doors three years later due to not having enough members to operate the organization.

So, to all these threads that are against chapters and members who do dumb things, yay, but I seriously doubt any ideas on here would help those who need it most.

BG
Sorry about your experience. To some of us alums who do volunteer with our organizations, I think this information is helpful.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Along those lines, the title of this thread makes it sound like you are nostalgic for the good ol' days of hazing
Old 12-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I don't really see the need to enforce a redundancy rule for this forum. I kind of disagree with the "do a search" rule anyhow (and at least as of now, I'm the moderator of this part of the board, so I guess my opinion carries a little weight). This is a forum, not a wiki page. Also, if I was an admin, I would welcome the new posts because forums stay relevant because they generate new content. We have 10+ years of great content throughout GC. If you really wanted to apply such a concept, we could just lock every forum except those dealing in current events--and really, for RM, would it be anything more than the occasional observance that Phi Kappa whatever at State University was butt chugging and we all agree that it was a bad thing?
Spare me the soap box. Shit doesn't change because Earp shows up. If anyone else created an anti-hazing thread I would wonder what incident sparked yet another sermon about hazing.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Spare me the soap box.
Physician, heal thyself.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Physician, heal thyself.