GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,157
2 members and 1,155 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 06-23-2019, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

That 1930 ad intrigues me. Balfour became Pi Beta Phi's official jeweler prior to 1920. Unless Letzeiser was an authorized Balfour agent, I don't know why they would advertise as an official jeweler.

Wish I could offer some help on the badge.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valoliver View Post
Voila!
I'm Jewish.

The letters are Resh-He (Resh is the one on the right hand side the He is the one on the left"), Hebrew is read from right to left.

Definitely *not* Pe-et.

That's a VII, not an XII above it.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valoliver View Post
Thanks Navane. Looked at the links you sent and din't find any correlation to the pin. Have been going through list on the Letzeiser ad & when I googled checkmate & Battle Axe a reference to a book came up where the author refers to these organizations. The book is entitled " The University of Oklahoma, Vol II by David W. Levy. I'm still looking through the book online. I'd imagine most of the non frat / sorority groups listed were in or close to Oklahoma as that is where Letzeiser did business. There is a U of O magazine called SOONER which is where the ad I posted is from. It's available online digitized and I am also searching there for info. Thanks for your input.

No worries. It was my best guess and I sometimes guess incorrectly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I'm Jewish.

The letters are Resh-He (Resh is the one on the right hand side the He is the one on the left"), Hebrew is read from right to left.

Definitely *not* Pe-et.

That's a VII, not an XII above it.

Ok, good to know. From what I was reading, the letter Resh is traditionally associated with the word or concept of "head", "first", or "top". The letter He appears to have been traditionally used as the word "the" or even "behold!" to emphasize the associated object. So, I would put those together to mean "the top". That would make sense for Pe-Et (whatever that stands for) since the members were supposedly at "the top" of their class. At least, that's where I was kinda going with it....

Any idea which organization it is from then?

Reference resh: https://www.ancient-hebrew.org/alpha...ters_resh.html

Reference he: https://www.ancient-hebrew.org/alpha...tters_hey.html

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 06-24-2019 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Ok, good to know. From what I was reading, the letter Resh is traditionally associated with the word or concept of "head", "first", or "top". The letter He appears to have been traditionally used as the word "the" or even "behold!" to emphasize the associated object. So, I would put those together to mean "the top". That would make sense for Pe-Et (whatever that stands for) since the members were supposedly at "the top" of their class. At least, that's where I was kinda going with it....

Any idea which organization it is from then?
The problem is that the Resh is first... I've seen Hebrew on pins before, but most that I've seen have had at least some Jewish connection, and I'd expect that to be more likely from the Northeast.