GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,298
2 members and 2,296 guests
MSKKG

Old 09-14-2000, 01:17 PM
interesting

Post interesting greek history read

Greek History

In ancient Egypt, only a select few were chosen to learn the rights of the dead. These chosen few underwent a test or ritual to be eligible to write in hieroglyphs and bury the Pharaohs.

In death, there were stages that the dead went through to pass to the other world. The Egyptians believed that your body and possessions went with you into the new world.

Hence, they had elaborated burial rites and tombs (pyramids for Pharaohs, their wives and children).

The passage into the new world, you were guided across the desert and through your trials by the light of the moon and the stars.

Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity is represented by the Crescent Moon. If you followed this it would take you where you needed to go. You were guided by the Falcon-God of the sun and the Pharaohs Horus, "High Above".

After crossing the desert, you came to a place of testing (i.e., CROSSING THE BURNING SANDS). This place is nature and is represented by the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Ivy. The Egyptian Goddess is Qetesh who is a Semitic nature goddess worshipped in Egypt or in the Book of the Dead Sekhmet. She was recreated as a weapon of vengeance to destroy men for their wicked ways.

After crossing the desert, the first thing you would come upon was the Sphinx the guardian of the tomb or pyramid. The Sphinx represents Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity. You needed to solve the riddle of the Sphinx to pass into the tomb or pyramid.

The vessel for the passage, the Pyramid represents Delta Sigma Theta Sorority who abide by Minerva, the Greek Goddess Of Wisdom. The Egyptian equivalent to Minerva is Isis, "The Throne." Isis is the Goddess of Magic and the widow of Osiris or Satet, also known as he "One Who Shoots Arrows." The Elephantine Goddess of the Nile floods and fertility. You enter the pyramids where the rest of the journey is shroud in secrecy.

Your lessons were given to you on a scroll. Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity is represented by the Scroll. The God was Thoth the "Leader" and the Ibis God of Wisdom, writing and the moon.

The Cat Goddess Bastet was known as the "Devouring Lady." She was the Goddess of the home and of the sunlight. According to one myth, she was the personification of the soul of Isis. She was also called the "Lady of the East." Her counterpart, "Lady of the West", was Sekhmet who represents Zeta Phi Beta Sorority. Sekhmet tested the soul of the dead during the passage.

After you had learned all you needed to learn and proved your worthiness to Bastet, you were ready for the ultimate test. The major organs were removed during mummification. At this point, you presented your heart to Maat who represents SIGMA GAMMA RHO SORORITY. Maat measured your heart against the feather on her scales. If your heart weighed more than the feather you could not proceed on to the afterlife.

Finally, you met Anubis known as the "Royal
Child" and was God of mummification embalming. Anubis had the head of a jackal which is a type of tenatious dog and represents Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
He assisted in the rites by which a dead man was admitted to the underworld. Anubis was worshipped as the inventor of embalming and who embalmed the Dead Osiris and thereby helping to preserve him that he might live again. It is said that the final test of the rites of passage was physical and given by Anubis.

THUS, THE GREEK AFFILIATION TO THE GREAT EIGHT.

by Thomas Robinson.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-14-2000, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

How in the heck did this get here?

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA
Old 09-14-2000, 03:35 PM
Mo

This story pops up from time to time. The last time it was posted was back in May.

Nobody takes the time (or has the time) to look in the archives.
Old 09-14-2000, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Nupe4Life,

This has been circulating by e-mail for some time now. I've received it twice already this year.
Old 09-14-2000, 04:25 PM
Allyson

Hi, I don't know all that much about BGLOs. This is really interesting. So is that where ZPhiB gets the "pretty kitty" I always hear and the Q-Dog nickname?
Old 09-14-2000, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I think it would have been nice to include Iota Phi Theta.
Old 09-14-2000, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I think someone did some research into Egyptian mythology at one point and was able to draw some "correlation" to some of the symbolism of the NPHC groups. It is a rather neat story, but it's not an accurate explanation for the genesis of NPHC symbolism, or at least not for Zeta. As a side note, most Zetas would actually identify more with Bast (Bastet) than Sekhmet.

And I agree with MIDWESTDIVA that it would be nice to include Iota Phi Theta into this story by now, as long as it's floating around.
-Shela

------------------
Finer Womanhood: the "Cat's Meow" Since 1920
Old 09-15-2000, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

the greek goddess that Sigma Gamma Rho is most associated with is "Tefnut" not "Maat" (whoever she is....?)

But it is an interesting story nevertheless!
Old 09-15-2000, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

sorry, i meant to say the EGYPTIAN goddess that we are most associated with.....

BTW-I still havent gotten the jist of this site yet....how do I edit my posts after I've submitted them?
Old 09-18-2000, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by prettypoodle6:

BTW-I still havent gotten the jist of this site yet....how do I edit my posts after I've submitted them?
prettypoodle6,
If you look at the 'masthead' of your post where the time and date are located you will notice 4 icons. The one with the pencil will allow you to edit or delete your post. The one next to it (with the red arrow) will allow you to respond to someone post so that it shows up in yours (like I did here). Hope that helps! If you place your cursor on the icon it will also tell you its fuction, that way you don't have to try to memorize what they mean.

Now if they only had spell check!!!

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited September 18, 2000).]