GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,040
0 members and 1,040 guests
No Members online

Old 01-13-2019, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton117 View Post
My D finished her parties and sent a text that said "I have no clue what I'm gonna do". Sounds like she continues to love both. Clearly this is good news, as she will be happy to receive a bid from either on Tuesday.

Any advice on how to break it down? She's going to call shortly and I said get a paper and pen ready and maybe do a pro and con list....
Ideas for her to make a list to start sorting it out in her mind:
  • Which philanthropy does she feel a closer connection to or affinity for?
  • Which group of PNMs that were also at her preference party seemed more likely to be her "tribe" as pledge class sisters?
  • Does it make a financial difference one way or the other, or are both chapters' costs similar?
  • At which chapter did she meet more actives she felt a connection with?
  • Did she like one chapter's location/house more than the other (somewhat trivial, but if you're trying to decide between otherwise equal options, maybe it makes a difference)?
[/LIST]
Old 01-13-2019, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantXOcousin View Post
I’ll use Ladybug’s roommate as an example.

She had Delta Gamma and Theta Phi Alpha.

Everyone is telling her to suicide DG because theta phi alpha is small and “insignificant”. Then the tiers are coming into play as well, the top sororities all seem to be the larger ones and the lower ones seem to be on the smaller side and so Bug’s rho gam group has all of their own ideas about this.

If it helps, I’m not sure about it either. Just repeating what Bug has told me.
Thanks for clarifying. That's what I was imagining. These poor girls - I'm sure the Rho Gams are stressing to the girls not to suicide as I know each of my girls' groups were advised this by theirs last year and several years ago. I wish these girls could remember that what is relevant at IU isn't the same everywhere. My older daughter's house is considered "lower tier" at IU (which is crazy bc the young women in the chapter are amazing) but nationally is really strong especially in the South.

But let's be honest - I'd rather write a 100 page research paper than try and tell a 19 year old going through recruitment at IU they might be wrong.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDelta4Life View Post
No chapter is "insignificant." It's only that way if the members in it believe it to be so. Your Bug's roommate hopefully understands that if she intentionally single preferences, she's ineligible for quota additions. Every chapter at IU has something to offer, and once the ladies become members, they realize people across chapters are more alike than they are different. As far as "tiers" go (lord I hate even talking about such ridiculousness), if IU would stop its ridiculous almost cultish "pair" nonsense, all that would go away.
THIS ^ all day!
Old 01-13-2019, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Looks like it's time for my usual yearly post about how every chapter at IU has something of value to offer its members.

As an IU alumna who is on campus multiple times a year, I can tell you from personal experience that there are beautiful, smart, kind, involved women in every chapter at IU!! I cannot stress this enough.

Each chapter offers something of value to its members: the opportunity to learn leadership skills, to make friends, to learn how to work with women you might not be especially close to, the ability to grow as a person, the chance to make a difference through your chapter's philanthropy. You get out of your Greek experience as much as you put into it.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Looks like it's time for my usual yearly post about how every chapter at IU has something of value to offer its members.

As an IU alumna who is on campus multiple times a year, I can tell you from personal experience that there are beautiful, smart, kind, involved women in every chapter at IU!! I cannot stress this enough.

Each chapter offers something of value to its members: the opportunity to learn leadership skills, to make friends, to learn how to work with women you might not be especially close to, the ability to grow as a person, the chance to make a difference through your chapter's philanthropy. You get out of your Greek experience as much as you put into it.
I wish all the girls could learn from your experience. I know I have so appreciated it - as a mom, you sure helped me survive two recruitments at IU!👏🏻👏🏻
Old 01-13-2019, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDelta4Life View Post
No chapter is "insignificant." It's only that way if the members in it believe it to be so. Your Bug's roommate hopefully understands that if she intentionally single preferences, she's ineligible for quota additions. Every chapter at IU has something to offer, and once the ladies become members, they realize people across chapters are more alike than they are different. As far as "tiers" go (lord I hate even talking about such ridiculousness), if IU would stop its ridiculous almost cultish "pair" nonsense, all that would go away.
So true! I think a lot of these girls could be making rash decisions based on the stupid tier system.

And for what it’s worth, they may not feel an instant connection. It takes time to build relationships, meet people, and get involved in the sorority. It’s taken my daughter a year, but she loves where she ended up, and I love the new friends she’s made. ❤️
Old 01-13-2019, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganM View Post
So true! I think a lot of these girls could be making rash decisions based on the stupid tier system.

And for what it’s worth, they may not feel an instant connection. It takes time to build relationships, meet people, and get involved in the sorority. It’s taken my daughter a year, but she loves where she ended up, and I love the new friends she’s made. ❤️
Agree, once they get their houses they will start to realize the whole tier thing is stupid. My D is fairly shy but she has really found her place with her chapter. She surprised us by how involved she has become. She also has maintained her friends that joined other houses. They still get together and do things. It's not like they aren't allowed to associated because their houses may be in different tiers.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrespearls View Post
... I'd rather write a 100 page research paper than try and tell a 19 year old going through recruitment at IU they might be wrong.
QFT
Old 01-13-2019, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the wisdom and insight , gals. My kid is still turning her puzzle. I think she is leaning one way, but feels like it will be ok either outcome. None of her little group of school friends will be in her house either way, so I think that is freaking out.
Good luck to all of the mamas with girls weighing their decisions. Ours is to be continued...
Old 01-13-2019, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter stayed close friends with many of her freshman buddies, clayton117, and is rooming with one of them next year (senior year) who did not pledge the same house! So, no need to freak out at all!
Old 01-13-2019, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with IndianaSigKap!

Good Luck to all PNM in finding a Home!

Will bid night be at the IU Tennis Center again @ 7:30 pm? Have they thought of Live Streaming it yet?? Other schools do this, fun to watch.

Any word on the numbers going to be for Quota? Houses to take more then the 55 in past years???
Old 01-13-2019, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Well,they will have to in order to compensate for XO being out...
Old 01-13-2019, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyrose2 View Post
My daughter stayed close friends with many of her freshman buddies, clayton117, and is rooming with one of them next year (senior year) who did not pledge the same house! So, no need to freak out at all!
thank you! I think she is confident that she will still see them, just didn't hit her that none of them would be with her until this evening! I reminded her she was ready to spread her wings and meet some more people.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post

Being in a sorority at IU has given my daughter all of the things that IndianaSigKap talked about: she has grown in leadership skills, made new friends, grown as a person, and reaped the benefit (and made a difference) through working with the sorority's philanthropy and participating as a member of her group's team at the IU Dance Marathon. Her road to bid day didn't go quite as expected, as she did not pledge her legacy house. But, in the end, all went well and she is happy in her home!
Old 01-13-2019, 08:31 PM

Big reminders:

The people make a chapter.

The people.

Look around at your pref party at which other PNMs are in the room.

Consider that this is going to be your class. Do you like them?

(Yeah I know that classes aren't everything but at schools like IU, your class lives in together, does things together, etc. It matters if you think those people are annoying.)

Lakers Nation.