GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,451
3 members and 2,448 guests
navane, Xidelt

Old 01-11-2019, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
As an SEC ex-professor and Greek advisor, I have sure heard of crying after lists came back but never screaming.
@Carnation I was struck by this statement as well! I just said to myself, ‘Ah the joys of Rush...’
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-11-2019, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

@clayton117 Sounds like your daughter is in a good place. Can’t wait to hear how her weekend goes! You can give up wine next weekend :-)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Ugh! Such a rough time! I was here last year when my daughter was going thru rush �� It’s a tad easier being on the other side, but I feel your stress and worry. Please encourage your girls to consider every house. My daughter ultimately found her home, and a great sisterhood, putting aside the ridiculous tier rankings.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

You re all so wise!!!! This afternoon, my daughter was disappointed with a few of her invites (or lack thereof...) I told her (repeating what you all have said...) "Give every house a chance - you have only met a few girls - etc..." She called after tonight's parties and told me that she liked a couple of houses that she wasn't sure about before. Thanks, everyone! Appreciate the advice. Next year, when I'm a pro (lol) - I'll pay it forward on this site to other pnm mamas! It's not over yet - Are pref round cuts as brutal as sisterhood?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

On further conversation with my D, there was one screamer, but that one was in close proximity and on the phone, probably with parents. Inconsolable in the moment :~(

My D enjoyed both of her first rounds. One in particular, that has been a favorite, continued to shine. She had great conversations with two girls she spoke with in earlier rounds and chatted with the chapter president, who she met last round, and was introduced to a few others. She said there were about 25 PNMs at each visit, so less chaotic and they didn't have to "line up" before going in. She told me she looked for the interactions of sisters with each other and found their affection for each other genuine (she listened to the passed on advice!) When the visits were over, she was feeling good and looking forward to a late dinner with friends.

When she returned to her dorm, it seemed like things had settled down and people were resigned to giving remaining chapters a fresh look or at least another chance. She thinks a few will sadly drop. Her friends seem to have a range of 3 to 8 houses remaining, and all have at least one house that they enjoyed in previous rounds.

Tomorrow she starts at 9am. I broke down and had a drink with dinner! Ha
Old 01-11-2019, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

To those that asked about the dreaded "phone call" in this thread, it was very sad, but I appreciated it. The call came from a collegian not an adviser so I was polite and kind (though I was very sad!). I do appreciate that our GLO does offer that kindness to alumnae to at least allow them to lessen the sting for the legacies before the invite list comes out. By the time a Rho Gam stopped by, my D already knew she was not going back to her legacy chapter. In hindsight, I know that she is EXACTLY where she should be. It has been a perfect fit!

For those still going through the process, best of luck in these final days!
Old 01-11-2019, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Best of luck to all of you, trust the process, it does work. Hang in there, you are getting close!!
Old 01-12-2019, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmama View Post
I heard about the one house for Cease and Decest but did not hear there was a second house in trouble. Cease means no bid day, no chapter meetibgs nothing! That is ashame

It is only for one IU Sorority. Herd some girls have dropped already.( never have understood this) Curious would the PC classes become bigger now that a house is unable to give out any bids?
Old 01-12-2019, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Man a house on C&D during rush can't be a good sign. My opinion steer your girls away from them simply due to the risk that they won't be around. With the climate at IU it's tough to get off C&D without major ramifications. Good luck to those who are left.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

My D texted us about the C&D last night just before the parties got started then we saw the IDS article. This has to be the worst time for that to happen. If the C&D turns out to be nothing then the chapter suffers, if the C&D holds then the PNM's could be the ones to suffer.

Hate this for anyone in the chapter or the PNM's that have to decide how to proceed. I don't know that the Quota would change. I know at my D's house and some others they had to ask for volunteers to not live in. Plus, the C&D won't be resolved anytime soon so I don't think they could really decide on an unknown.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:03 AM
GreekChat Member

It would be pretty easy to absorb the girls that drop that chapter into the other houses if they just changed the quota by a little bit. Seems like the right idea to me.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCofSEC View Post
It is only for one IU Sorority. Herd some girls have dropped already.( never have understood this) Curious would the PC classes become bigger now that a house is unable to give out any bids?
the house will be able to give out bids, they just will not be able to have bid day functions or start new member meetings. basically it will be "here is your bid, we will call you when we can".

I think the chapter in question is still trying to figure everything out.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-12-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNMmom18 View Post
Who's the second house? I have only heard of 1. Nothing like adding a little more stress to the weekends events. So if the girls accept a bid and they ultimately close the chapter but are let out of their bid what happens? Rush again as a sophomore?
If the chapter closes, their pledge is immediately broken and they can receive a bid from another sorority the next day. Since IU has no set total, all chapters would need is an OK from their nationals to bid these women. Depending on the timing, they could either be integrated into the current class, be a second pledge class or be a spring semester pledge class. There is no reason they would have to wait an entire year, unless having a big splashy bid day means more to them than the membership itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyrose2 View Post
The tridelt pledge class 2 years ago accepted bids and started the "new member" period but were released just prior to initiation. They were free to rush again, but got to think it's hard to do that when you have spent so many days dreaming of being a member of a certain group. I don't know how many of them ended up being greek in the end.
I got the vibe that the women who pledged there were more interested in being sisters of the women in that chapter specifically than they were in being Greek in general - not after a few weeks, but from the jump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUAnon View Post
It would be pretty easy to absorb the girls that drop that chapter into the other houses if they just changed the quota by a little bit. Seems like the right idea to me.
Depending on who the women are cross rushing with it could be easy or it could be well nigh impossible. At this state in rush you can’t just say “here, everyone gets 2 more girls.”
Old 01-12-2019, 11:24 AM

Oh and the other group mentioned is on disciplinary probation, which means they have to keep their noses clean and not screw up for two more months. But they can still conduct bid day and chapter business as normal.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Can somebody answer either of theses questions:
1. A pnm has accepted and attended all of her invitations to all rounds and only gets invited to 1 pref. How many can she rank after pref round and what are her chances of getting a bid?
2. A pnm is invited to a pref round where she is a legacy. What are her chances of getting a bid from that house?