GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,673
2 members and 1,671 guests
Overthinker, Sister Havana

Old 01-11-2019, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, the lists are out. My D reports that there are lots of disappointed girls on her floor and lots of screaming and crying.

Rho gam started texting girls earlier in the afternoon if the girls didn't have any parties for tonight to spare them getting all primped up and having no where to go. My D didnt get a text, so she knew she had at least one back for tonight and worked on getting ready while she waited.

When the RG came, she had to read something to the girls first about two chapters being in trouble or under investigation/ cease and desist (no info on how long or more details). This added to the confusion, as one of the houses is a "top", or very popular house with the PNMs that was on many girls favorite lists.

My D got 8 back-5 from her bottom list and 3 from her top list. She was disappointed to lose a few of her favorites, but is going to look forward and not back. She says she will try to give them all a fresh look. I told her to try to focus on the sisters and their interactions, as well as getting a feel for what the fellow PNMs are like at each chapter now that the crowd has thinned a bit.

Sounds like it was a rattling experience today, and as much as the girls have been told to prepare for deep cuts, they are feeling it. My D said some girls only got 2 chapters back from their bottom, and she is feeling very lucky to still have chapters she really liked. She is off to her first party now.

I am exhausted! I picked a bad month to give up wine (New Years cleanse). This weekend is going to be a beast. I hope you all are hanging in there with your girls.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

So can the cease and desist chapters continue with recruitment and take a pledge class? My son went through fraternity rush last semester and one of the chapters was placed on cease and desist and ultimately kicked off campus. I hope this does not impact the new PNMs - how disappointing.

Last edited by IUAnon; 01-11-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard about the one house for Cease and Decest but did not hear there was a second house in trouble. Cease means no bid day, no chapter meetibgs nothing! That is ashame
Old 01-11-2019, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe they can continue and take a class but nothing can happen- no ceremonies, no bid day nothing
Old 01-11-2019, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I would think this would have to play into the girls’ decision making process. Such a shame because it is hard enough already!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton117 View Post
Well, the lists are out. My D reports that there are lots of disappointed girls on her floor and lots of screaming and crying.

Rho gam started texting girls earlier in the afternoon if the girls didn't have any parties for tonight to spare them getting all primped up and having no where to go. My D didnt get a text, so she knew she had at least one back for tonight and worked on getting ready while she waited.

When the RG came, she had to read something to the girls first about two chapters being in trouble or under investigation/ cease and desist (no info on how long or more details). This added to the confusion, as one of the houses is a "top", or very popular house with the PNMs that was on many girls favorite lists.

My D got 8 back-5 from her bottom list and 3 from her top list. She was disappointed to lose a few of her favorites, but is going to look forward and not back. She says she will try to give them all a fresh look. I told her to try to focus on the sisters and their interactions, as well as getting a feel for what the fellow PNMs are like at each chapter now that the crowd has thinned a bit.

Sounds like it was a rattling experience today, and as much as the girls have been told to prepare for deep cuts, they are feeling it. My D said some girls only got 2 chapters back from their bottom, and she is feeling very lucky to still have chapters she really liked. She is off to her first party now.

I am exhausted! I picked a bad month to give up wine (New Years cleanse). This weekend is going to be a beast. I hope you all are hanging in there with your girls.
Getting 8 houses back is great for this round! Congrats to your daughter. Tell her to look at every house she got back as a gift to explore all her options.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Getting 8 houses back is great for this round! Congrats to your daughter. Tell her to look at every house she got back as a gift to explore all her options.
Thank you! Still having a big list makes it hard, in a way. A lot to consider and these chapters are all working so hard to showcase themselves. Lots to consider.

Yes, the one chapter is a C and D, which is very sad as so many girls love that chapter and their returns are very high. For girls who got that coveted one back, I am sure it will feel very confusing. and for the chapter themselves, I am sure that is a major monkey wrench! The other one she didn't quite understand what was happening, so perhaps I will hear more about that later. My D didn't have either on her list today so she just moved along with party preparation.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton117 View Post

As an SEC ex-professor and Greek advisor, I have sure heard of crying after lists came back but never screaming.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2019...ase-and-desist
Old 01-11-2019, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Who's the second house? I have only heard of 1. Nothing like adding a little more stress to the weekends events. So if the girls accept a bid and they ultimately close the chapter but are let out of their bid what happens? Rush again as a sophomore?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

About "the phone call"-not all chapters at IU still do it. My group didn't even send a canned e-mail "thank you" for my legacy referral. So, it will be a tough week for all you greek moms! Rush at IU is a lot harder than it was for me "back in the day" and I don't envy what the girls go through. I hope your daughters find their place, whether or not it is in your house. Be brave (drink more wine)!
Old 01-11-2019, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

The tridelt pledge class 2 years ago accepted bids and started the "new member" period but were released just prior to initiation. They were free to rush again, but got to think it's hard to do that when you have spent so many days dreaming of being a member of a certain group. I don't know how many of them ended up being greek in the end.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abm91 View Post
I would think that would be a very difficult job, to call a hopeful mother and give her the bad news. I do agree it probably depends on which chapter you are a legacy of. And it may make a difference if you were a legacy from IU vs. another chapter...

As someone who had to make over a hundred of these calls.... it totally sucks.....

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 01-11-2019, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Only one house on C&D. It may be that the powers that be remember the tridelt experience 2 years ago and the criticism that the PMN's that year did not know that they might be accepting a bid from a group that could not initiate them. They are letting the girls go in with "eyes wide open" to the possibility that accepting a bid from the groups in question might lead to not being in a GLO in the end...and with the current IU housing problem, scrambling for a place to live next year. Not something either the PMN's or the chapters were wanting to deal with this week, I'm sure!

Last edited by ivyrose2; 01-11-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
These are the organizations under suspension/cease and desist/disciplinary status at IU as of 12/31/18. (Chi Omega is not listed, because that just happened today.)