GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,254
1 members and 1,253 guests
ajanessshulze31

Old 09-11-2006, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Deferred Recruitment?

Hi,

I am sorta new to all of this and I am currently hoping to do Informal Recruitment at my school this fall but I recently heard that they are doing deferred recruitment and I have seen it on some posts here and I just don't know what it is and wanted to ask all of yall if you can explain it to me!

Thanks so much!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
It means that Formal Recruitment is not held until beginning of the second semester, instead of the more traditional fall semester Formal Recruitment. However, on some campuses, upperclassmen may join a group during the first semester during Continuous Open Recruitment. Contact your Greek Life Office for specifics.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Sometimes "deferred" just means later than the first of the academic year. At Ole Miss, they refer to it as "deferred recruitment," but it takes place in October. Your school Panhellenic office is the best place to check. You can go by or give them a call. Good luck!
Old 09-11-2006, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax
It means that Formal Recruitment is not held until beginning of the second semester, instead of the more traditional fall semester Formal Recruitment. However, on some campuses, upperclassmen may join a group during the first semester during Continuous Open Recruitment. Contact your Greek Life Office for specifics.
Yep, UPS has informal in the Fall for upperclassmen and Formal in January for everyone.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax
Wake Forest University is another school that has deferred recruitment, but it's going to have informal recruitment for sophomores, juniors, etc. this fall, apparently for the first time:

http://ogb.wfu.edu/?id=3560_0_9_0_M

As PenguinTrax said, check with your Greek Life office for the specifics at your school.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker
Wake Forest University is another school that has deferred recruitment, but it's going to have informal recruitment for sophomores, juniors, etc. this fall, apparently for the first time:

http://ogb.wfu.edu/?id=3560_0_9_0_M

As PenguinTrax said, check with your Greek Life office for the specifics at your school.
ex, could be an interesting development concerning no frosh.

Maybe give others a chance to join.

Not sure how Wake Forrest does in recruitment over all though!?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-11-2006, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp
ex, could be an interesting development concerning no frosh. Maybe give others a chance to join. Not sure how Wake Forrest does in recruitment over all though!?
Tom, the first-year women at Wake Forest take part in deferred recruitment. For this academic year, it's scheduled for several days in January 2007. See:

http://www.wfu.edu/housing/greek/sor...cruitment.html
Old 09-12-2006, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for all of your help! I know at my school they hold formal recruitment every january (starts the week before spring semester and goes to the first full weekend after classes start in january). so is deferred recruitment like Informal? I know that at my school, some sororities participate in informal if they have the space...

sorry for so many questions, i am just trying to make sense of this all! Its kinda confusing!

thanks for all the advice yall!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDMafia
No, formal recruitment is formal recruitment. Deferred just means it is held later in the year. I came from a school that did formal like yours. It started a few days before school began and went through to the first week. It was still set up with specific parties and cuts and preference nights, it just happened second semester instead of first.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMafia View Post
No, formal recruitment is formal recruitment. Deferred just means it is held later in the year. I came from a school that did formal like yours. It started a few days before school began and went through to the first week. It was still set up with specific parties and cuts and preference nights, it just happened second semester instead of first.
wow, you really cleared everything up, I was just getting a bit confused with all these terms!!

Thanks so much!!!