GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,307
5 members and 1,302 guests
John, MethrenLusia, Sarak24034, UofISigKap

Old 12-21-2012, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

GPA Minimum question!!

At my school the GPA minimum is a 2.5 and one of my sisters has exactly a 2.52. She is worried that she won't able to be social or be active next semester. However, since she met the minimum requirement I don't think she should worry.

I know most schools require a 2.5 minimum. How does it work at your school? Do sisters need to be above a 2.5 or is a 2.5 fine to remain active with no privileges taken away?

Please help meeee!!!!!

Thanks!

Last edited by riley_starke; 12-21-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley_starke View Post
At my school the GPA minimum is a 2.5 and one of my sisters has exactly a 2.52. She is worried that she won't able to be social or be active next semester. However, since she met the minimum requirement I don't think she should worry.

I know most schools require a 2.5 minimum. How does it work at your school? Do sisters need to be above a 2.5 or is a 2.5 fine to remain active with no privileges taken away?

Thanks!
We really have no idea. Minimum GPA for privileges depends on your GLO's minimum requirements. That number may be higher than the GPA required by your university to remain in good standing. She needs to ask the appropriate chapter officer about the minimum GPA requirements for your organization.

At a 2.52, she may NEED to be on some kind of probationary status from your sorority or the University to help make sure that she buckles down and gets her grades up.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Funny, your other thread was titled "Am I in good standing".

I love when people lie and can't keep their stories straight.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley_starke View Post
Isn't there some rule that doesn't allow institutions to require a minimum GPA? Or is that only for recruitment?

Each chapter/organization has different rules for GPA. The chapter at my university had a different GPA requirement than the chapter at the neighboring university. I believe my chapter requires above a 2.75 now, but I'm a few years out and can't remember. There were talks of raising it when I was a senior.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 12-22-2012, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a 2.49 and I wanna know the same
Old 12-22-2012, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

"Minimum" means the lowest something can be and still be acceptable. If YOUR chapter's minimum GPA is a 2.5, then a 2.52 should keep you active -- but you're on a slippery slope there, so I'd be putting academics before sorority social life.

As for the 2.49, you're just under the acceptable mark, assuming 2.5 is also the minimum for your particular chapter. Usually, the probation doesn't exclude you from meetings, but costs you your voting rights. This, though, depends on your chapter's policy for such things. Hopefully, they have study hours, sister -tutoring and other resources to help members whose GPA's have slipped. Buckle down and commit to getting your GPA up. You'll survive a semester of probation, you really will.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Reese 57 -- I just saw your other thread and it sounds like you're hoping to pledge NPHC fraternity. Sorry, this thread was started by someone asking about her NPC sorority, so I assumed you were referring to the same.

You might want to post your question under Fraternity Recruitment, where some men familiar with Omega and NPHC can better advise you.