GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,906
2 members and 1,904 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 10-09-2019, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Three Sororities and One Professional Fraternity Suspended at Ohio University

Following the suspension and investigation of fraternities earlier this week, Ohio University has also issued Cease-and-desist orders against three sororities governed by the Women’s Panhellenic Association —Delta Zeta’s Omicron Gamma chapter, Chi Omega’s Tau Alpha chapter and Pi Beta Phi’s Ohio Alpha chapter — and against Phi Chi Theta, which identifies itself as the largest co-ed professional business fraternity at OU. In each case, the cause is hazing allegations.

https://www.dispatch.com/news/201910...sity-suspended
Old 10-09-2019, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I am happy to say that our Beta chapter is not involved in any wrong-doing/allegations in this hazing incident.

However; there's a long list of Can't do's" during suspension and includes:

1. Undergrad members who do not reside in the our chapter house are prohibited from stepping foot on the property or inside the chapter house.
2. Undergrads who do not reside in the chapter house are forbidden to utilize the front/back porches, deck, yard, basketball court.
3. The university says 2 or more brothers in our yard at the same time would be considered a fraternity function.
4. All chapters can not have member events, council or chapter meetings, socials, membership orientation activity, philanthropies/community service, intramural involvement, retreats or participate in homecoming during the duration of the greek wide suspension.

Yes, our homecoming was cancelled.

Last edited by PKT4LIFE; 10-09-2019 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-09-2019, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
Following the suspension and investigation of fraternities earlier this week, Ohio University has also issued Cease-and-desist orders against three sororities governed by the Women’s Panhellenic Association —Delta Zeta’s Omicron Gamma chapter, Chi Omega’s Tau Alpha chapter and Pi Beta Phi’s Ohio Alpha chapter — and against Phi Chi Theta, which identifies itself as the largest co-ed professional business fraternity at OU. In each case, the cause is hazing allegations.

https://www.dispatch.com/news/201910...sity-suspended
All I can say is, "wow"!
Old 10-09-2019, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
I am happy to say that our Beta chapter is not involved in any wrong-doing/allegations in this hazing incident.

1. Undergrad members who do not reside in the our chapter house are prohibited from stepping foot on the property or inside the chapter house.
2. Undergrads who do not reside in the chapter house are forbidden to utilize the front/back porches, deck, yard, basketball court.
3. The university says 2 or more brothers in our yard at the same time would be considered a fraternity function.
4. All chapters can not have member events, council or chapter meetings, socials, membership orientation activity, philanthropies/community service, intramural involvement, retreats or participate in homecoming during the duration of the greek wide suspension.

Completely 100% unconstitutional. Get a lawyer. Where is the ACLU.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

"Though the allegations against the four Greek chapters don’t rise to the level of criminal activity"

Then it's not hazing. Got to watch the professional fraternities. Sounds like a witch hunt to me.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:40 AM

Sure appears to me that my alma mater is going after the entire Greek System.

Having been an alumni advisor (Division Vice President) in Colorado several years ago, I have zero tolerance for hazing, but this seems to me to be a very heavy handed over reach by the University.

If the chapter is breaking the rules or the law, suspend it. But only when there is proof.

That is my opinion. I do not speak for Delta Tau Delta.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post

I'm so glad to hear that Phi Tau is not one of the nine. My oldest son's godfather is an alum of this chapter and they were one of my favorites as an undergrad.
I assume the chapter is petitioning for reinstatement?

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 10-10-2019, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

And now the band has been suspended...

Old 10-10-2019, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
And now the band has been suspended...
No chit. Got to watch those band people. OU is out of control.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
"Though the allegations against the four Greek chapters don’t rise to the level of criminal activity"

Then it's not hazing. Got to watch the professional fraternities. Sounds like a witch hunt to me.
You obviously don't understand the definitions of hazing and the legal standards of hazing.

Professional fraternities and organizations, as well as philanthropic fraternities and sororities, have all be guilty of hazing. Just because it isn't a group like yours doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Stop dismissing people and their experiences.

Quote:
No chit. Got to watch those band people. OU is out of control.
Bands have been guilty of extremely violent hazing. There was a fairly recent incident where a drum major was hazed to death in Florida. That ended in a murder conviction. Again, stop dismissing things that you don't know about nor understand happen.

Out of control? Based on reports I've heard from those on the ground at Ohio U, the ones out of control are the student organizations and these actions have been a long time coming.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Based on what I’ve heard, it’s the administration that has gotten out of control. Specifically one administrator. I’m curious as to what this will do to enrollment for next year. OU has been on a huge recruitment push for children of alums and many are saying that they are reconsidering having their children attend or are withholding funds.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Entirely reasonable for a school to consider that don't count as Criminal Activity as hazing. If a fraternity chapter required all of its pledges to dress as Sailor Moon for the entire pledging while carrying around a Brick and sing the Horst-Wessel-Lied (the co-national anthem of Nazi Germany) every time they see one of the brothers, as far as I can tell,there wouldn't be any criminal charges. OTOH, I would expect every NIC fraternity to shut down a chapter that did that and most if not all schools.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
You obviously don't understand the definitions of hazing and the legal standards of hazing.

Professional fraternities and organizations, as well as philanthropic fraternities and sororities, have all be guilty of hazing. Just because it isn't a group like yours doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Stop dismissing people and their experiences.

Bands have been guilty of extremely violent hazing. There was a fairly recent incident where a drum major was hazed to death in Florida. That ended in a murder conviction. Again, stop dismissing things that you don't know about nor understand happen.

Out of control? Based on reports I've heard from those on the ground at Ohio U, the ones out of control are the student organizations and these actions have been a long time coming.
Oh stop yourself. But thanks for making my point. Many other organizations engage in questionable behavior, but it's the Fraternities that get all the publicity. Wonder why.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Entirely reasonable for a school to consider that don't count as Criminal Activity as hazing. If a fraternity chapter required all of its pledges to dress as Sailor Moon for the entire pledging while carrying around a Brick and sing the Horst-Wessel-Lied (the co-national anthem of Nazi Germany) every time they see one of the brothers, as far as I can tell,there wouldn't be any criminal charges. OTOH, I would expect every NIC fraternity to shut down a chapter that did that and most if not all schools.
If you don't use a legal definition of hazing, then you have a "whatever I feel like" standard. And that doesn't work. Houses are being punished because, god forbid, little Johnny had to clean the house or someone was "mean" to him.

So riddle me this, is this hazing:
https://www.facebook.com/IndianaUniv...2724941475653/
Old 10-11-2019, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Wow. One of my friends was a founding sister of that DZ chapter.