GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,162
1 members and 1,161 guests
LaneSig

Old 02-11-2008, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Barack Obama, Grammy Winner

LOS ANGELES — Barack Obama topped a Clinton in another contest on Sunday — the Grammys.

The presidential candidate beat both former Presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter to win best spoken word album for his audio version of his book "The Audacity Of Hope: Thoughts On Reclaiming The American Dream."

Clinton was nominated for his book "Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World" and Carter for "Sunday Mornings in Plains: Bringing Peace to a Changing World." Also nominated were Maya Angelou and Alan Alda.

Obama won the same award in 2006 for the audio version of his 1995 memoir, "Dreams from My Father."

Sens. Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton are battling for the Democratic nomination for president; both have won key states, though Obama has the most recent wins, capturing the Louisiana primary and caucuses in Nebraska and Washington state on Saturday. Obama won the Maine caucus Sunday.

Though Clinton and Carter lost, they both have won the category before (Clinton, twice). And Hillary Rodham Clinton took home a Grammy in 1996 for her audio version of the book "It Takes A Village."

http://www6.comcast.net/entertainmen...Grammys.Obama/
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-11-2008, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

FINALLY!

Barack Obama's list of accomplishments:

1) Grammy Award winner
Old 02-11-2008, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
FINALLY!

1) Grammy Award winner

1) Has written 2 bestselling books
2) is the 1st Black President of the Harvard law review
3)is a graduate from Harvard law
4)is the 5th African American to serve in the US Senate

and

5)Grammy Award winner

Not in any necessary order and is not complete....
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 02-11-2008, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Daemon, my dear friend. Look at his screen name. My brother will drive 20 miles to buy Shiner and he still worships Ronald Reagan. I put that mindset into perspective when I read posts from this guy.

Shinerbock, list your accomplishments.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Daemon, my dear friend. Look at his screen name. My brother will drive 20 miles to buy Shiner and he still worships Ronald Reagan. I put that mindset into perspective when I read posts from this guy.

ah...thank you benz.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post

1) Has written 2 bestselling books
2) is the 1st Black President of the Harvard law review
3)is a graduate from Harvard law
4)is the 5th African American to serve in the US Senate

and

5)Grammy Award winner

Not in any necessary order and is not complete....
1) A lot of really, really stupid people have written bestselling books. Do the books sell because they're great, or because people are sheep when it comes to things like this? I think they're likely well written, but being a best selling author may not be an accomplishment which should vault someone into presidential contention.

2&3) I concur that these are both accomplishments. I don't think being the "first black" anything is necessarily an accomplishment, but graduating and law rev. at HLS, in general, is a fantastic accomplishment. I don't think it is overly important in the election for POTUS (I'll get to my meaning in a second) but it is a good life and professional accomplishment. Ann Coulter was order of the coif and an editor at UM law school, but I don't think anyone would suggest that this is an accomplishment which should place her in the running. This is arguably the standard for politics, rather than the exception.

4) Is being elected an accomplishment? I suppose so, but I'm not sure it means much to most Americans. Doing something while you're there may have a bigger impact.

5) Not trying to sell him short, 2 grammy's, right?

If you didn't pick up on it, my reply was centered around the recent event where this question was asked to a room full of Obama supporters on cable news, which was answered with silence. Finally one person piped up and said "He's inspirational," to which the cable newsperson replied, "thats a character trait, not an accomplishment."

There will be a lot of debate about Barack's (perhaps, lack of) accomplishments should he win the election, and while I do think his list is pretty short, I think most of what you mentioned are fairly substantial. Now do they differentiate him from the others? I doubt it. I wouldn't say he has the best resume. If I were a supporter, I would argue that his biggest accomplishment was turning down the big law lifestyle to work in community organization. Very few people who make such decisions have the choice to begin with.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post

Shiner Bock is fantastic. I wouldn't say I worship Ronald Reagan, but I wouldn't mind having a similarly minded politician to vote for in November.

I'm not running for elected office at all, much less POTUS. Also, I'm half his age. If you were subtly trying to imply that Barack Obama is more accomplished then me, it would be difficult to argue with that. This doesn't mean he's qualified to be President, unless I've become the standard. Note, I'm not even saying he's not qualified, but I think the debate is pretty ripe.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Shiner Bock is fantastic. I wouldn't say I worship Ronald Reagan, but I wouldn't mind having a similarly minded politician to vote for in November.

I'm not running for elected office at all, much less POTUS. Also, I'm half his age. If you were subtly trying to imply that Barack Obama is more accomplished then me, it would be difficult to argue with that. This doesn't mean he's qualified to be President, unless I've become the standard. Note, I'm not even saying he's not qualified, but I think the debate is pretty ripe.
Ripe = stinks...like a 5 hr old newborn diaper.

Gotcha...see how easily that was translated?
Old 02-11-2008, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
1) A lot of really, really stupid people have written bestselling books. Do the books sell because they're great, or because people are sheep when it comes to things like this? I think they're likely well written, but being a best selling author may not be an accomplishment which should vault someone into presidential contention.

2&3) I concur that these are both accomplishments. I don't think being the "first black" anything is necessarily an accomplishment, but graduating and law rev. at HLS, in general, is a fantastic accomplishment. I don't think it is overly important in the election for POTUS (I'll get to my meaning in a second) but it is a good life and professional accomplishment. Ann Coulter was order of the coif and an editor at UM law school, but I don't think anyone would suggest that this is an accomplishment which should place her in the running. This is arguably the standard for politics, rather than the exception.

4) Is being elected an accomplishment? I suppose so, but I'm not sure it means much to most Americans. Doing something while you're there may have a bigger impact.

5) Not trying to sell him short, 2 grammy's, right?

If you didn't pick up on it, my reply was centered around the recent event where this question was asked to a room full of Obama supporters on cable news, which was answered with silence. Finally one person piped up and said "He's inspirational," to which the cable newsperson replied, "thats a character trait, not an accomplishment."

There will be a lot of debate about Barack's (perhaps, lack of) accomplishments should he win the election, and while I do think his list is pretty short, I think most of what you mentioned are fairly substantial. Now do they differentiate him from the others? I doubt it. I wouldn't say he has the best resume. If I were a supporter, I would argue that his biggest accomplishment was turning down the big law lifestyle to work in community organization. Very few people who make such decisions have the choice to begin with.
no...one grammy...was extending your short (sighted) list
Old 02-11-2008, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
I don't think being the "first black" anything is necessarily an accomplishment
And all this time I thought you were living in the U.S.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Translation: Shinerbock has no accomplishments other than being a complete douchbag in this thread.

Whether or not you support a presidential candidate does not reduce the person's educational, service, and political accomplishments. I'm not an Obama fan, and find it humorous that he has a spoken word album, but he is highly accomplished and would not be a successful candidate if he was not.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I would add to Barack's list of accomplishments that he taught Constitutional Law at the prestigious University of Chicago law school. Not that Shinerbock would be impressed or anything since I'm sure just anyone could do that. Shinerbock has probably taught at Yale, for heavens sake.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Translation: Shinerbock has no accomplishments other than being a complete douchbag in this thread.

Whether or not you support a presidential candidate does not reduce the person's educational, service, and political accomplishments. I'm not an Obama fan, and find it humorous that he has a spoken word album, but he is highly accomplished and would not be a successful candidate if he was not.
Your toolishness never ceases to amaze. I was making a rather well timed quip (considering this is a very popular topic, apparently not on your radar), and people got all fussy.

Barack has done little in his legislative career. He's accomplished very, very little as a politician. As far as political accomplishments, which is often the measuring stick by which candidates are analyzed, Obama comes up short. I'm sorry for pointing this out, despite it being brought up on just about every program which has ever made any reference to the 2008 election.

I'm not sure where this bitterness comes from, I suspect its because even most Barack Obama supporters will acknowledge his campaign is light on substance and heavy on vague and lofty ideals.

Also, to the people who think I can't analyze Barack's accomplishments because I've accomplished less, that is the dumbest sentiment I've ever come across. Of course, since most of these people can't rationalize why they're supporting Obama beyond "He's really optimistic," I'm not overly surprised.

And you folks call conservatives uptight, sheesh.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
people got all fussy.

And you folks call conservatives uptight, sheesh.
Not "fussy." Just telling your our opinion of your poorly expressed opinion. Maybe you will learn to express yourself more effectively so you won't have to type long ass posts explaining your previous "quip attempts." Or maybe you can post your feelings of Obama's lack of political accomplishments in one of the many threads where that would be on topic. Make it happen.

I don't call conservatives uptight and I'm also not a liberal.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Not "fussy." Just telling your our opinion of your poorly expressed opinion. Maybe you will learn to express yourself more effectively so you won't have to type long ass posts explaining your previous "quip attempts." Or maybe you can post your feelings of Obama's lack of political accomplishments in one of the many threads where that would be on topic. Make it happen.

I don't call conservatives uptight and I'm also not a liberal.
You're right. I posted under the false assumption that people were actually closely following this election. Considering this is an extremely popular topic, I figured people would be able to ascertain what I was getting at. The very situation I mentioned has been the subject of much discussion, but assuming folks on here would know that was likely an oversight on my part.

I'll post where I feel like it, I think. Thanks for your concern. If sarcastically mentioning winning a Grammy as one of Barack Obama's accomplishments in a "Barack Obama, Grammy winner" thread is too off topic, I'm sure the moderators will remove it. I certainly won't be offended if they do.

I don't recall calling you a liberal. I do seem to recall me and you arguing over the conservative content of some of my posts, however. Thus, while I didn't assert (that I recall) that you were a liberal, I still harbor the assumption that you're left-leaning. We'll see if it causes confusion in the future.

Edit: Also, did you mean the expression of my opinion, or simply my post in general? I didn't really give my impression of Barack Obama's accomplishments. In fact, I was fairly open minded when responding to the list of "accomplishments" presented by another poster. I think I actually mentioned somewhere that I wasn't asserting that he was unqualified. Granted, we all know I'm not voting for Obama, but that has nothing to do with whether he is qualified or not.

Last edited by shinerbock; 02-11-2008 at 09:09 PM.