GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,601
1 members and 2,600 guests
Tridentia

Old 04-11-2006, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it just me, or is it girls in sororities mainly date guys in fraternities?

I noticed this trend back in the day when I was undergrad, and it appears to be the same way these days. I say this because I visited my old campus the other day, and overheard one of my neo's saying he hates dating girls in sororities because he noticed that most of them only date guys in either:

A) A specific frat or
B) In a frat period.

Which lead the both of us to somewhat believe that if brothas aren't affiliated with someone's frat, alot of these sistas "probably" wouldn't even know you existed, much less give you the time of day because you're not in the "right" circle. I know speaking as a guy, we could care less if a girl is affiliated or not, but for some reason, it appears (And I stress appears) that our female counterparts, tend to date along the greek lines exclusively, well, at least a lot of them tend to from what I see. Am I just imagining this or what? What do you guys think?

Last edited by BlackAdam06; 04-11-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-11-2006, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
Have you considered that it may be JUST your campus?
Old 04-11-2006, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IntegriTY1908
Arrow

I dont think it is your imagination I have heard people come out and say that they only date AKA's or they only date Ques or they prefer Alphas or just any one who is a member of a NPHC organization the bottom line is some people are caught up in that and some people are not
Old 04-11-2006, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Men who aren't in frats are lamers.

Just kidding (a little bit). I personally never had a requirement that the people I dated were in frat. However, I will say that it is easier for a GLO member to date another member. I say that because it seems that non-greek significant others don't understand the time and money commitments that we make to our organization. It is always a fight about "why do you have to spend so much time with that? why so much time with your LS/LB? Why all the conventions? why spend so much money on this?" However, when you date another greek, they already understand and respect that.

Don't discount the fact that people tend to date people in their circle. GLO members hang around GLO members, it is likely that relationships will form within the group.

Also, non-GLO members often (mistakenly) feel that dating a GLO member will somehow increase their chances of getting them into a GLO. So, for example, instead of an AKA allowing herself to be used by some dude trying to be down with Alpha she may as well skip him and date an Alpha. LOL.

Likewise, don't get it twisted, many GLO members feel like GLO members are the best of the best. So they seek out GLO members to date. Seems like an easy screening process, if he's in a GLO you assume that he is intelligent, service oriented, etc. Why wade through the general pool of students for those qualities when you can just date a GLO member who SHOULD already have these qualities?
Old 04-12-2006, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

For a man to meet my baseline criteria, he is probably going to be Greek. Not automatic, but if you're a black man who graduated from college and you care about the community and like to have a good time, you're probably in the D9. Also, if I see you out and about at community service events or parties and I notice your letters, I can do a background check.

However, if I meet you at a club and you have gold teefuses and no one to vouch for you, there is going to be a much tougher screening process.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
I've never dated a man in a fraternity since I've been a Delta.

It's a jungle out there.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mulattogyrl
I've never dated a man in a fraternity since I've been a Delta.
WEIRDO!!!!!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
WEIRDO!!!!!
LMAO!!! I know. It's great being weird.

It's a jungle out there.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, BlackAdam06, it's not just you, frat. I've been on both sides of the fence. I've been non-greek and dated greek sisters, I've been greek and dated non-greek sisters, and I've been greek and dated greek sisters. It's not like I'm new to the fold--I come from three generations of Alphas, my mom is a charter member Zeta and my sister is AKA. In my personal experience, a sister being in a sorority doesn't make her any better than a non-greek sister. I've dated some GLO as well as non-greek sisters--some with issues and some with great personalities.

Being in a GLO doesn't wash away a person's personality flaws any more than eating a can of spinach will give you super strength, and being in a GLO won't make anyone any better of a person than before they crossed. I don't feel any different or better because I wear that black and gold. My circle of friends hasn't increased nor have my abilities to pull the ladies since I've always been pretty strong in both departments. I can say that I've befriended some exceptional brothers since being an Alpha that I wouldn't have otherwise met.

Basing someone's romantic elligibility on whether they're greek or not is not a luxury we as black people can afford, particularly our sisters. A brother can be greek and still have a criminal record. A brother can be greek and not have been financial for years. A brother can be greek and still have busted up credit. Sure, I've met many married couples that were both greek but there are millions more blacks out there that are non-greek than the ones that are. All I'm saying is this: Instead of worrying about if someone is greek, and if they are greek then, worrying about if they're in a specific GLO--whether they're making six figures, in a certain social circle, driving a certain kind of car, living in a certain class of neighborhood, are a certain shade of black or a certain height, what should be important is LOVE, COMPATABILITY, TRUST.

Last edited by CORINTHIAN1906; 04-12-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

i guess i agree with the rest - if you are a member of the d9 you understand the issue of time and money. however, i'm not saying i would only date an aka - well, that's really true - i would date a women that's not in a sorority.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Professor
i guess i agree with the rest - if you are a member of the d9 you understand the issue of time and money. however, i'm not saying i would only date an aka - well, that's really true - i would date a women that's not in a sorority.
Oh yeah, I kinda didn't answer the question. No, I wouldn't date greek sisters exclusively. I'm a global thinker--I value love over the material. For a short period of time I used to think if a sister was greek then, it's all good. Then, after graduating from college and getting into the real world I began noticing sisters of various GLOs being just as shadey, broke, fickle, indecisive, indifferent, phoney, etc. as any other woman.

Even if I did date greek sisters exclusively I wouldn't localize myself to one sorority. Hey, to each is own. I'm not knocking anyone because they think otherwise. I just feel that the world is bigger than the D9.

Last edited by CORINTHIAN1906; 04-12-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I LOVE and appreciate your post.

Especially about being a global thinker--DIG THAT!!
enigma_AKA

Quote:
Originally posted by CORINTHIAN1906
Oh yeah, I kinda didn't answer the question. No, I wouldn't date greek sisters exclusively. I'm a global thinker--I value love over the material. For a short period of time I used to think if a sister was greek then, it's all good. Then, after graduating from college and getting into the real world I began noticing sisters of various GLOs being just as shadey, broke, fickle, indecisive, indifferent, phoney, etc. as any other woman.

Even if I did date greek sisters exclusively I wouldn't localize myself to one sorority. Hey, to each is own. I'm not knocking anyone because they think otherwise. I just feel that the world is bigger than the D9.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
'C’mon now, who do you,who do you, who do you, who do you think you are?/Ha-ha-ha/bless your soul,
you really think you're in control/ Well….I think you're cRAAAZYYY....just like me'~'Crazy',Gnarls Barkley
Hmmm......Crazy? Well, Skee Phi, let's just say I don't jump no hoops for no woman, ya Dig?
Old 04-13-2006, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi-Skee and ummmmm.....ok.

enigma_AKA

Quote:
Originally posted by CORINTHIAN1906
Hmmm......Crazy? Well, Skee Phi, let's just say I don't jump no hoops for no woman, ya Dig?
Old 04-14-2006, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Phi-Skee and ummmmm.....ok.
Thank you for the correction but it was unecessary. I always say skee phi, (Skee Phi Skee sometimes) skee, skee wee, or my favorite: "eewee" when I run into certain sisters. It just depends on type of disposistion of the sisters I run into.

It's some of your sorors I've encountered that either don't know or have completely forgotten the (damn, dare I tell the truth? I dare) "Phi Skee."