GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,232
0 members and 2,232 guests
No Members online

Old 01-12-2004, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to littlebritches
Alumnae Involvement

What activities/how do the alumnae interact/help the collegiates?

Examples would be great.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Unregistered-

Re: Alumnae Involvement

Quote:
Originally posted by littlebritches
What activities/how do the alumnae interact/help the collegiates?

Examples would be great.
In my opinion, the most important time for alumnae to support their collegians is during recruitment. When I was a collegian, I always appreciated the alums for being there to prepare beverages/other miscellaneous stuff so that we could be out there rushing the PNMs. Plus, it gave the PNMs the idea that the sorority doesn't end after graduation.

Every semester we also have a little ceremony called "PRESENTS". It's here that the new members are introduced to the campus, other Greeks, the alumnae, and our friends and family. Here, a NM is paired up with an "alum chum"...which is somewhat similar to having a sister-mom. The NM gets showered with little gifts and wise words of encouragement from this alum. Last year, my alum chum was a girl who had graduated from my high school alma mater years after I did. We had that special bond of being Academy girls and now we share another one -- AGD sisterhood!

If you have a Junior Circle organized around you, try getting them involved too! My Junior Circle always does the Living Purpose at each Fireside. After Fireside/Pinning of the Petals/Pass Down/Up gifts, we host a light potluck for the actives and the NMs. IRD during the Spring is always a fun time to interact with the collegians also!

Something the alumnae has always done (since I've been an AGD, anyway) is hosting a scholarship dinner for the chapter each time they reach cumulative chapter GPA of Pi. We've done Mexican meals, Pasta dinners, just to name a few. It's the least we could do for our sisters who Strived for Pi.

At the end of every semester is the Scholarship Auction. We have "Alpha Gam Dollars" that's given to sisters who receive A's and B's on tests, quizzes, and papers. Dollars can also be earned by showing up to study hall (whether it be mandatory or not) and turning in study sheets in time, wearing your letters proudly around campus, and other miscellaneous things the VPS deems necessary. The items auctioned off are items donated by the alums (lotions, used AGD clothing, stationery, etc.)...a bunch of alums usually show up for this, as it's a fun time for everyone young and old(er)!

Those are some of the reasons why I loved the alums as a collegian and why I love being an alum now!

Hope this helps! PM me if you have any questions.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't speak for Ashley, but I really appreciate the help. I like the idea of Alpha Gam Auction. That would be a great idea.

One of the issues that we are facing is that we are a really young group. The alumnae chapter is made up of women from all the chapters in the area, but with UK so close by those Epsilon women are busy supporting them. So the main active alumns are Theta Upsilon ladies who are just graduating. So we are all at a point where we a. don't have a lot of money to do stuff with and b. we are all too young (that 5 year rule) to be advisors, which leads to c. that unless you are an "advisor" you aren't called upon to help with the chapter.

We just need to make ourselves known more within the chapter, and we are working towards that goal. Maybe what we need to do is sit down (if we can get more than 2 or 3 of us there) and come up with a plan for the next 2 to 5 years. This is our first recruitment with an active alumnae chapter, made up of more than just the president. It is just frustrating to want to help and give but to not feel wanted or needed. Oh well....

Sandy thanks for the help. I am going to remember the auction thing, that seems like something poor graduates could put together.
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 01-13-2004, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Just thought of something..

As I was checking out GC a though popped into my head... Are there any chapters out there that have alumnae come and help the chapter practice rotation?

I was thinking that this would be a way for the two groups to get to know each other and practice recruitment stuff.

If you do this or know a chapter that does, let me know how it had gone in the past!
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 01-13-2004, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Just thought of something..

Quote:
Originally posted by GtownGirl98
As I was checking out GC a though popped into my head... Are there any chapters out there that have alumnae come and help the chapter practice rotation?

If you do this or know a chapter that does, let me know how it had gone in the past!
I know Gamma Zeta does (Univ of Memphis). Apparently it works well.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Just thought of something..

Quote:
Originally posted by GtownGirl98

I was thinking that this would be a way for the two groups to get to know each other and practice recruitment stuff.

I was invited to this at Epsilon Psi (UT Dallas) this past fall. But I was out of town. But it sounded like they had a really good time.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Many chapters have alumnae come and the chapters holds a "Mock Recruitment". The chapter practices rotation,conversation,skits,Prefs and anything else the chapter needs. The alums usually give honest feedback and share expertise in recruitment.

Some chapters provide a meal or refreshments.

Alumnae support is so great. Most chapters welcome it. Just be careful to not fall into the "that's not how we did it"trap. That undermines the chapter's confidence and can make for hurt feelings.

Your Recruitment Consultant has other ideas.

Good Luck!

Marie