GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,323
2 members and 2,321 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 07-19-2010, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Found Ring

OK, ladies, I need your help. I received an email tonight from a very nice lady who found an Alpha Gam ring in Orlando back in the mid 1980's and she's trying to locate the owner. She said she tried contacting the webmaster to no avail...so, I've decided to try and locate this lost sister.

The ring has "M.A. Roberts" 1964 engraved in it. Then, on one side of the ring, it has "MU" and on the other side "AB".

I've done the sister search to see find anyone with the maiden name "Roberts" and tried to narrow it down from there. I just don't know if the "1964" is her initiation year or her graduation year. I also don't know if the AB/MU are chapters, her big and little's initials, or what (I don't have a ring so I don't know the traditions).

Any suggestions? She's emailing me a picture tomorrow so I can get a better look at the engravings.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-20-2010, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartUGA View Post
OK, ladies, I need your help. I received an email tonight from a very nice lady who found an Alpha Gam ring in Orlando back in the mid 1980's and she's trying to locate the owner. She said she tried contacting the webmaster to no avail...so, I've decided to try and locate this lost sister.

The ring has "M.A. Roberts" 1964 engraved in it. Then, on one side of the ring, it has "MU" and on the other side "AB".

I've done the sister search to see find anyone with the maiden name "Roberts" and tried to narrow it down from there. I just don't know if the "1964" is her initiation year or her graduation year. I also don't know if the AB/MU are chapters, her big and little's initials, or what (I don't have a ring so I don't know the traditions).

Any suggestions? She's emailing me a picture tomorrow so I can get a better look at the engravings.
The Alpha Beta Chapter is the University of Michigan, but no one with that name pops up in the sister search, current or lost. Maybe the picture will help you narrow it down.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

If you think it's someone from Alpha Beta, I may be able to find someone from that chapter during that era. Someone who could probably help is Leslie, the ACF. She has worked with AB, their HA, their chapter and advisors for an extremely long time and knows just about every Alpha Gam in the state of Michigan..lol. I'll PM you her VST email addy.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I found the owner, thanks to my excellent "research" abilities. She went to Mercer (hence the "MU" on the ring). The lady who found it is mailing it to the owner
Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
That's so nice of her!
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartUGA View Post
I found the owner, thanks to my excellent "research" abilities. She went to Mercer (hence the "MU" on the ring). The lady who found it is mailing it to the owner
That's great!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Too slow

I just logged in to suggest Mercer because I (or we, she's an AGD) have a sister who works there. I was on Facebook and saw something from her. I am glad you were able to locate the owner. Did you contact her or just pass on the information? I ask because now I want to know what the AB stands for.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, can you imagine being the receiver of that package? She lost the ring around 25 years ago and I'm sure she never ever thought she'd see it again. Also, the sister must be in her late 60s now. I'm glad you were able to get them in contact with each other. I wonder if AB was her pledge class?
Old 07-24-2010, 07:16 AM
GreekChat Member

It was actually "BA" as in her degree (Bachelor of Arts). The lady wasn't reading it from the correct angle I think.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleRose View Post
I am glad you were able to locate the owner. Did you contact her or just pass on the information?
I contacted her. It was a great phone call to make and she was beyond excited because she never thought she'd see it again.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Many red and buff roses to you for working so hard to find the owner. What a touching story that sister will have for years to come
Old 07-25-2010, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Hopefully one day I'll be able to demonstrate that dedication for an Alpha Gam sister