GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,187
1 members and 1,186 guests
No Members online

Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAckbOwlsgIrl View Post
Okay, I am sure that I along with my sisters are not only ones who did this.
We would look at the names of all the girls and see if there were funny names or odd names. It didn't matter if we could pronounce them or not, we just looked.
At the time, Effie and Heddie were considered "odd." I think that we also had an October come through. Not hard names to pronounce, just different. Well, to us, they were.
We liked to look at initials. What person in their right mind names a child Amanda Sue Smith?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Actually, we know a couple that came within inches of naming their daughter Amanda Sarah S____ until the wife realized how future monogramming would look.

(They chose Sarah Amanda.)
Old 05-19-2012, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an international student, and I literally don't know a single sorority alumni, nor do I have a local panhellenic organization. Without letters of rec/ coming from a high school no one has heard of/ not having any sorority connections, do I honestly have any chance at getting into a sorority? I want to try rush, but if its 100% sure that I'll be cut from every chapter on the first day, would I be wasting my time/money?

Last edited by stilettos4life; 05-21-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:41 PM

^^^^Are you planning to attend Texas? You need recs at a school like UT to be successful.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I'm going to UT at Austin. So should I not even bother registering for recruitment?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilettos4life View Post
I'm an international student, and I literally don't know a single sorority alumni, nor do I have a local panhellenic organization.
So what you're saying is - you're coming from another country to go to UT? Are you arriving in the country before school actually starts or will you basically be getting off the plane and walking into your first class?

I would contact the Austin Alumnae Panhellenic and see if they can assist you.

I would also retire that "sororities are a joke where I come from" line.

There are lots of things that you pay money for that may not end up how you want them to. That doesn't mean the money was wasted.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw girls with towns in Great Britain on pledge lists from chapters just this past year at UT. Granted, they may be Americans living abroad but it does happen. I saw a couple from Canada as well. There are usually a number of girls from other countries going through recruitment at UT. They have as good a chance as a girl from Medicine Mound, Tx who would be hard pressed to find a reference. Don't let it stop you from giving it a shot. Will you get major cuts after 1st round, probably, but will you have the opportunity to win other groups over, hopefully you will. Trust me, if they fall in love with you, they will find you a reference. Also, think of the opportunity to meet new people at such a large university right off, especially coming from so far away.

Good Luck.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
Will you get major cuts after 1st round, probably, but will you have the opportunity to win other groups over, hopefully you will. Trust me, if they fall in love with you, they will find you a reference.
But if some groups have to cut 60% (capricious and arbitrary figure) of the rushees after the first round, and one of the easiest ways to do that is to can girls without recs, how will they have time to fall in love with her?

Either everyone should have recs going in or they don't need them. I don't think she'll get a "pass" because she's an international student.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm with 33girl..contact the Austin Alumnae Panhellenic office and see if they can help you. If you really want to go through recruitment and be sucessful, I would at least try to get some recs. Like 33girl said, most of the houses are having to release great girls with stellar grades and resumes. If they don't have a rec for you, then that just gives them a good reason not to invite you back. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

bump!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

If anyone knows any PNMs from UT, make sure their facebook accounts stay clean over the summer. Facebook has become a very prominent tool in recruitment for each chapter. The PMNs may think it gives them a bird's eye view into the workings of a sorority, but the truth is, it is a window into the PNM's world and sometimes that view can damage their recruitment before it even starts.

Also, have your PNMs stay off that "other" greek ranking website. The hatred and bile that is spilled over there has NO bearing to the actually workings of UT's UPC groups. I find it embarrassing beyond measure. The individual websites of each house is a much better look into each house. All you have to do is google ABC @ UT and most houses have a website and if they don't they are missing a key resource for their PNMs. Also a point of reminder...there are a multitude of strong houses at UT. Do not let your PNMs attach themselves to any one particular house. That will spell disaster at a school where legacies can out number a pledge class.

Good luck to all the ladies and yes, their moms, during this very stressful, yet rewarding week of recruitment! Only three more weeks....
Old 07-30-2012, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Great post as usual Pineapple! Do you know how many PNM's are signed up this year?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

As of the first deadline of July 31 (that is when the $85 fee goes to $95), they had over 800 PNMs registered. The hard deadline is two weeks away and you will see that number escalate. With the housing issues at UT this year, it could be why there is delay in registration (although I was told hundreds registered the last two weeks last year) so who knows where the numbers will land. Freshman enrollment is up 8.5%
Old 08-02-2012, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
As of the first deadline of July 31 (that is when the $85 fee goes to $95), they had over 800 PNMs registered. The hard deadline is two weeks away and you will see that number escalate. With the housing issues at UT this year, it could be why there is delay in registration (although I was told hundreds registered the last two weeks last year) so who knows where the numbers will land. Freshman enrollment is up 8.5%

In answer to my own question..they have already had over 1000 sign up. There were close to 1100 last year, so Im thinking there will be 1200-1300 this year. The chapters have already added parties in anticipation of the numbers!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

It has been projected at that range. It will be a very, very long week for all the houses on campus yet I suspect this will be the new normal.

Last edited by pinapple; 08-02-2012 at 02:33 PM.