GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 312,592
Threads: 115,304
Welcome to our newest member, afewaqnelixak
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

UM AEPI's

http://www.alligator.org/edit/news/i...09miami29.html
Old 10-29-2002, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Why would you do this to your own damn brother?
Old 10-29-2002, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

This is insane..

As for stealing the newspapers... On our campus our newspaper is free. Anyone can take one. There was an incedent a while back where a certain individual did not like what was being said about him... So he stole all the papers.

Since they were "free, take one" type papers they couldn't touch him.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-29-2002, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Not exactly true, my sorority sister is the editor of our schools paper and although they are free, since they are meant for distribution and they do cost for printing if they are all "stolen" before distribution then technically they are still property of the paper and since printing costs can be over $5000 easily, it can be a felony offense.

Facebook
Old 10-29-2002, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Right to Free Speech

We had an incident like that happen at our school where papers were taken regarding a previous article. And papers may appear "free", but the cost to publish them actually comes out of your activity fees every semester.

Punishing Newspaper Thieves

* Criminal prosecution. Possible charges include: larceny, petty theft, criminal mischief or destruction of property. Though not necessary to prosecute a theft, Maryland has a specific state law making the taking of a free distribution newspaper a crime. Ultimately the decision to pursue criminal charges is up to the local prosecutor.

*Campus disciplinary action. Even if there is insufficient evidence or grounds for criminal prosecution, newspaper thieves can be punished by campus officials for their misbehavior. While pursuing such punishment is also up to those issuing the discipline, student media can keep pressure on campus officials to take appropriate action and then follow up on the outcome.

*Civil lawsuit for damages. This type of claim is solely in your hands and can be a way to recover financial losses suffered by the newspaper. Depending on the amount of loss (frequently a maximum of $2,500), student media may be able to pursue this claim on their own in small claims court for minimum cost and without the expense of an attorney. You will need to have carefully documented evidence of your losses. If small claims court is not an option, you will probably need to hire an attorney. The SPLC can discuss this option with you in more detail.

Courtesy of Student Press Law Center
www.splc.org
Old 11-01-2002, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

UM editor awaits sufficient action against fraternity

By Cameron Ackroyd
Alligator Writer

Late one night shortly after last year’s Sept. 11 attacks, Jordan Rodack returned to his room at the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity at the University of Miami to find the place trashed.

His possessions were tossed around, there was a dirty mattress and burnt flag on the ground and a used condom on his loft where his bed used to be.

Rodack, the editor of the university’s newspaper The Miami Hurricane, published an article that reflected poorly on the fraternity.

In the days following the Sept. 11 attacks, Alpha Epsilon Pi pledges had gone around campus with video cameras asking students “What would you do about these goddamn Arabs?’’

But before the newspaper’s report on the incident was published, fraternity members stole all 9,000 published copies.

UM found three fraternity members responsible for the theft and punished them.

“A few days later I was in my room, and I opened my door, and a bucket of vomit fell right into my room,” Rodack said.

The fraternity was told to take out a half-page ad in the Sept. 17 issue of The Hurricane, apologizing to Rodack.

But Rodack said the three members found responsible had their penalties reduced and are once again students in good standing with both the university and the fraternity.

Rodack said the university and the fraternity have not sufficiently punished fraternity members for the abuse they hurled at him, which he said included death threats and a period during which he was stalked.

A UM spokeswoman said the university and its administration have no position on the situation.

“I was hopeful that the university would protect the freedom of the press, and they have not shown a willingness to do so,” he said. “The university has sat by and watched it happen, and I’m very disappointed at this point.”

The fraternity was not formally charged and members accused of stealing the newspapers were not further disciplined.

UM English and history senior Alex Matzinger, who was a member of the fraternity, said the fraternity should have been put on suspension and be forced to reimburse Rodack’s semester dues.

“[The administrators] were waiting for Jordan to get sick of the whole thing, and hopefully it would all go away and they wouldn’t have to do anything,” he said.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:51 PM
Banned

I have no idea what your deal is but your posts are only about this topic which has been discussed in several different threads and three seperate forums. In fact when you posted this thread you also posted another thread in the Alpha Epsilon Pi forum with the exact same post. Not only that but your post is a copyright violation and breaks GC rules.

To everyone else, if you're so bent on digging up dirt on GLOs please check to see that it is in the right forum and also to see if a duplicate thread exists because this is really getting annoying. There are THREE forums which have threads on this topic currently and this is the FOURTH thread to be opened.

And to those that make comments on the actions of this fraternity, remember that you are not involved in the situation and YOU DO NOT KNOW the facts. This is an issue for Alpha Epsilon Pi, the parties involved, and the university administration. The news releases that you are seeing are not complete investigations into situations but often pieces written by students who lack the proper facts.

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...ght=miami+aepi

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...+epsilon+miami

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...+epsilon+miami

-Rudey

Quote:
Originally posted by manmahg
UM editor awaits sufficient action against fraternity
Old 11-02-2002, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quick journalism lesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
I have no idea what your deal is but your posts are only about this topic which has been discussed in several different threads and three seperate forums.
I think this is the only one that has an accurate subject line, which is why I am reading it. (I live in Miami, got my MS from UM.) When a subject line interests me, I read it. I'm tired of these "generic" headers that tell nothing. <hint hint people - do we need a lesson in writing headlines? says the former journalism teacher>
Quote:
In fact when you posted this thread you also posted another thread in the Alpha Epsilon Pi forum with the exact same post. Not only that but your post is a copyright violation and breaks GC rules.
Actually, the first person (UF56) linked to the article. Appropriate. The second person (manmahg) who posted the entire article correctly attributed the writer's name & newspaper. This does not violate a copyright.

And kudos to SigK_Bama who posted about Newspaper Thieves, which she correctly attributed to the splc.org. (A website YOU should read, Rudey, if you are so concerned about this particular incident, as should anyone else who is...)

Quote:
And to those that make comments on the actions of this fraternity, remember that you are not involved in the situation and YOU DO NOT KNOW the facts. This is an issue for Alpha Epsilon Pi, the parties involved, and the university administration. The news releases that you are seeing are not complete investigations into situations but often pieces written by students who lack the proper facts.
Hey now... I think 99% of the people here realize that these are news reports. And if you're a GLO member, you know that the media LOVES to dig up dirt on the greek community.

And when something is in the news, it is fair game to be discussed.

Obviously, many GCers have had similar experiences...THIS is acceptable free speech.
Old 11-02-2002, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Locking this thread, as it is a duplicate of other threads already open.
Closed Thread