GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,470
0 members and 1,470 guests
No Members online

Old 02-20-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
Yeah, maybe it's wishful thinking to assume they'd have been inspired by positive rather than just unfulfilled undergraduate longing.

In terms of GC, it is mostly the latter, lol.

Yes, there may be a few who have actually volunteered with and served the org they're interested in, or have ties to a specific sorority (maybe they pledged there in undergrad and had to quit due to illness or something).

But a common theme for MOST ladies who come here about it have that unfulfilled undergraduate longing thing.

Maybe it's hard for me to understand because I joined in undergrad, but I'm pretty cynical about the PNAMs who come here saying, "I have always DREAMED of joining a sorority." Really?

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, it's weird to me to because if you always dreamed of it, you'd have made it a priority in your undergraduate experience, it seems to me. Or have found a suitable surrogate experience with a women's club.

I have really positive feelings about the AIs that I've known in real life, so I have absolutely no problem with the concept generally, but here I tend to wonder about some of the postings here.

I suppose on some level it boils down to the fact that I think most NPCs are really about supporting the undergraduate experience, and most of the NPC undergraduate experience is social (I don't just mean fraternity socials and date nights, but I mean about interpersonal relationships within the group). What would you be looking for as an unaffiliated alumna if you were checking out groups to AI into when you weren't already working with the chapters?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
Yeah, it's weird to me to because if you always dreamed of it, you'd have made it a priority in your undergraduate experience, it seems to me. Or have found a suitable surrogate experience with a women's club.

I have really positive feelings about the AIs that I've known in real life, so I have absolutely no problem with the concept generally, but here I tend to wonder about some of the postings here.
Same here. Every AI I've met in real life has been a positive contributor to Sigma BEFORE getting initiated or has been tied to the sorority in some way before initiation. I'm not anti-AI by any means.

I just question people who come to the internet asking about it and pursuing it.

I feel like, if you're really seriously interested in being a part of a sorority as an alumna, you shouldn't NEED to come to a website and ask questions about it or go on a "search." You should already be in touch or have ties with the sorority in some manner and you should already KNOW alumnae PERSONALLY who are more than willing to help you. You should not have to come here for "advice" and such.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-20-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Same here. Every AI I've met in real life has been a positive contributor to Sigma BEFORE getting initiated or has been tied to the sorority in some way before initiation. I'm not anti-AI by any means.

I just question people who come to the internet asking about it and pursuing it.

I feel like, if you're really seriously interested in being a part of a sorority as an alumna, you shouldn't NEED to come to a website and ask questions about it or go on a "search." You should already be in touch or have ties with the sorority in some manner and you should already KNOW alumnae PERSONALLY who are more than willing to help you. You should not have to come here for "advice" and such.
Yep, absolutely. This is one of the threads where I have no problem admitting that I've completely changed my mind from what I originally posted back when I was a new GC user. (well, not literally this thread, but a similar thread in this forum.)