GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,559
1 members and 1,558 guests
No Members online

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2002, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi, I'm a newbie!

Good morning, folks.

I just stumbled across this site and this board recently.

I'm seeing the posts with my own eyes but I still can't believe it: there are OTHER alumni who want to join sororities? Praise be, I thought I was the only one!!

Here's a brief intro................(I promise, it will be brief <g>)

I graduated from a very large university on the East coast back in 1990. (That makes me 34, guys.)
I went through rush, and had my heart set on one sorority, but did not receive a bid. There is a long story about this but if someone would like the details, I'll refer it to PMs. (I promised to be brief. )
I did my best to stay active through college and beyond, but it was hard. I am the only child in my family, and I was so looking forward to joining a new family of sisters. Not just to have sisters around, but to *be* a sister, a reliable support to other girls as well.
I tried to put the experience behind me but it was always there. Something was missing.
I ended up marrying a Kappa Alpha brother, who is quite serious about the vows he took at his initiation. (One of the reasons I love him so much--he takes vows seriously. <G>) This put the Greek thought closer to the front of my mind. So, I just started browsing, found the website of the sorority I missed, brushed up on the information and ideals, but didn't get my hopes up. After all, college is over and I have a home and a family (hopefully soon!) to think about.

Then I found this forum.

After getting my jaw up off the floor, I signed up an logged in.

Is it *really* possible to pledge a sorority, even after all these years? I am imagining being able to promote the Greek system at my alma mater (which is struggling under difficult circumstances), maybe cross-pollinate the ideas that keep them alive with the schools in my new home (Houston-area).
I am almost too afraid to take the big step to ask.

I don't even know where to begin with questions or how to join in. How do the collegiate members feel about alumnae being initiated alongside them? How do you go up to a sorority and say, "Hi, my name is Adrienne, and even though I graduated college years ago, I would like to dedicate myself to promoting your ideals and work. Will you pledge me?"

I'll stop babbling and let my mind stop swimming. I'd be overjoyed to hear from any ladies (or gentlemen) out there with a thought or comment.

Wow!!! I just can't tell you how happy I am to find this board!

--Adrienne