GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,147
0 members and 1,147 guests
No Members online

Old 02-12-2008, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

My son is a KA at Texas, and as EE BO said, they have made a decision not to re-affiliate with the IFC. From what I learned, they got into some trouble many years ago and were put on suspension with the IFC. The national order of KA believed that the suspension was inappropriate so decided not to pull the charter and to let the chapter remain in existance outside of the IFC. They have been "off" suspension for a few years with the IFC at Texas, but have decided that there is no benefit to being in the IFC. They readdress the issue every now and again, but the national Order and the alumni advisors at UT feel that they are doing fine as a chapter without the affiliation.

That's what I know. As a parent, I was concerned about it as well, but after hearing the facts of the situation, I am fine with it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes that's what I heard as well. KA seems like they have a lot of tradition and would be a great group, but the fact that my (quite liberal) mother is paying for it also likely means that she wouldn't pay for me to join a group she'd consider racist. I personally feel there is a difference between Southern heritage and racism, but my mother considers them to be equal. She'll just use the fact that they aren't IFC as an excuse.

I really am looking forward to rush and meeting some great guys and houses though. I think Greek life would really make my college experience something great.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, being a mom, I can understand that we all have reasons for what we believe and what we'll fund It is expensive to be in a fraternity at UT, so be sure to join one your folks will pay for!!! KA is a great group with a lot of traditions and it has been a great place for my son. But, there are a bunch of other houses that are great at Texas and I'm sure you'll find one that fits. Good luck to you!!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

There are many good posts on this thread and some, well, use your best judgment.

UT is like many Big Schools.

There as some call tiers which is BS to an extent as they go up and they go down.

Costs of being a member of a GLO is about the same as it was a few years ago, but the cost of education is going up at an alarming rate and the expendible monies can go only so far.

I was told by a friend who went to Tx Un. that it is different than any other. But I think you can say this to many Old Line Southern Uns.

As to looking at any GLO to join, the most important thing is do you fit with each other. There are not any bad GLOs, just bad chapters.

LXA is considered even in my mind as still the new kid on the block being founded in 1909 compared to otheres founded in the late 1899's.

Traditions such as KA has a long history and whether they are a member of IFC is not a problem if they are accepted by their National and the student body.

Suggestion, check out not only the web sites, but where other chapters are and see how they rank.

But you still have to be able to fit in with them and them with you.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

So does anyone else have any advice or info that it would be helpful to know?

Does anyone know where I could find a contact list for the fraternities to try to get information about rushing?

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTLonghorn2012 View Post
So does anyone else have any advice or info that it would be helpful to know?

Does anyone know where I could find a contact list for the fraternities to try to get information about rushing?

Thanks.
Humm...
Did you read and act upon posting #14?
And since you are on the Internet and a High School student it should have taken you less time than it did me (13 seconds) to find this site:
http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/gle/

IMHO, those that do their home work first and then ask questions get better answers.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah he sent me a pm.........I'll get back to you asap Horn2012.

First of all, you need to register with IFC (I assume IFC). The registration is like 20$ and you need to do it soon in order to take advantage of rush events this summer. The registration also puts you in the database for Formal Rush next fall.

After you do this you don't need to worry about "finding" anyone. The fraternities will find you.

Good luck, Hook 'Em.

p.s. you should be able to find a link to registration that Jon gave you.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Yeah he sent me a pm.........I'll get back to you asap Horn2012.

First of all, you need to register with IFC (I assume IFC). The registration is like 20$ and you need to do it soon in order to take advantage of rush events this summer. The registration also puts you in the database for Formal Rush next fall.

After you do this you don't need to worry about "finding" anyone. The fraternities will find you.

Good luck, Hook 'Em.

p.s. you should be able to find a link to registration that Jon gave you.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
Humm...
Did you read and act upon posting #14?
And since you are on the Internet and a High School student it should have taken you less time than it did me (13 seconds) to find this site:
http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/gle/

IMHO, those that do their home work first and then ask questions get better answers.
Been there before, but many of the fraternities, including a lot of those listed as "top houses" above, don't have websites or rush chairmen listed on their IFC profiles.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a site with more info or had any contacts that might not be posted on the UT site. The IFC section hasn't even been updated since this fall anyways. I've been checking regularly to see when the registration opens but it hasn't yet. I know UPC's registration doesn't open until May, which is after Roundup and a lot of the events which I've been told are important.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Been there before, but many of the fraternities, including a lot of those listed as "top houses" above, don't have websites or rush chairmen listed on their IFC profiles.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a site with more info or had any contacts that might not be posted on the UT site. The IFC section hasn't even been updated since this fall anyways. I've been checking regularly to see when the registration opens but it hasn't yet. I know UPC's registration doesn't open until May, which is after Roundup and a lot of the events which I've been told are important.
Do you really do any type of home work?????
Found this in under 10 seconds:
http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/gle/IFCrecruitment/
While listed at 2007, I would if in your shoes, fill it in>
And START DOING your own research.
Some times if what you are looking for is not there, use what is and follow it.
BTB, found link right here:
http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/gle/join.php

Last edited by jon1856; 02-19-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I took your advice and filled out the form anyways. I'm hoping that I won't have to fill it in again because they clear the system or anything like that.

I have seen that site before, but again, I was hesitant to fill it out because it is for last year.

I have been doing homework, but sometimes info isn't on the web. All that the official website has is info for last fall's rush and each house's address, GPA, and cost. Sometimes they include a website, sometimes a president's email. Very rarely do they include info for rush.

So I'm just trying to see if anyone knows of some website I'm somehow overlooking which might have more useful and pertinent information.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well I took your advice and filled out the form anyways. I'm hoping that I won't have to fill it in again because they clear the system or anything like that.

I have seen that site before, but again, I was hesitant to fill it out because it is for last year.

I have been doing homework, but sometimes info isn't on the web. All that the official website has is info for last fall's rush and each house's address, GPA, and cost. Sometimes they include a website, sometimes a president's email. Very rarely do they include info for rush.

So I'm just trying to see if anyone knows of some website I'm somehow overlooking which might have more useful and pertinent information.
I think I gave you a hint before; let me make it very clear.
There is a link to IFC on one of those pages; call them. Directly.

Last edited by jon1856; 02-19-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:19 AM
Banned

No one uses the websites for rush. Generally speaking at Texas, the better a chapter's website, the worse the chapter.

For rush, just go to roundup and start talking to people you know from high school. They'll give you the low-down and then introduce you to people once you start going to events.

jon1856, stop being an asshole and lecturing the kid over something you know nothing about.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsandtoes View Post
No one uses the websites for rush. Generally speaking at Texas, the better a chapter's website, the worse the chapter.

For rush, just go to roundup and start talking to people you know from high school. They'll give you the low-down and then introduce you to people once you start going to events.

jon1856, stop being an asshole and lecturing the kid over something you know nothing about.
Hummmmm...
There are at least four ways to contact the people who know what is going on on campus in terms of rush (NONE of us do) on the webs site:
1)Philip Butler
Inter-fraternity Council Advisor
The University of Texas at Austin
1 University Station A5800
Austin, TX 78712-0175
2)
Have a concern or question?
College students may encounter challenges throughout their years at The University of Texas at Austin. The Office of the Dean of Students can provide support and assistance during times of crisis. We encourage you to contact us for help or assistance with finding the appropriate resource. Support is always available to you and your student. Call 512-471-9700 or 512-471-5017, visit the Student Services Building, 100 West Dean Keeton St., Suite 4.400 or visit Greek Life & Education online at www.texasgreeks.com.
3)
To Register for Interfraternity Council Fraternity Recruitment:
The IFC prefers that you visit our Web site at www.texasgreeks.com and register online .
A $25 registration fee must be received by 5 p.m. on August 24, 2007 to register for recruitment. We request that you register as soon as possible to ensure processing. It is also important to register early to ensure that all chapters have your information before you arrive in Austin.

◆ Send the registration fee with the student’s name in the memo to:

The Interfraternity Council
Attn: Greek Life & Education
1 University Station A5800
Austin, Texas 78712-0175
4)http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/gle/contact.php
Many links there to follow-up contact information.

Found the above, on the "outdated" web site in less than 2 minutes.

That is why I am saying that OP did not do his homework. For most of his questions, on facts, need to be directed to IFC and/or Dean of Students office rather than people here.

Last edited by jon1856; 02-20-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

UTLonghorn, I know that you are nervous about the whole rush thing. My son was nervous about it too, and honestly didn't know how it would all come about. But, trust me, it worked out. Like somebody above said, try to hook up with some of the guys you know who are in the greek system and they will steer you in the right direction.

My son happened to know guys in a few fraternities, but he started out only interested in a couple because he knew those guys the best. By round up and the end of his senior year, he had been contacted by a number of the other fraternities and had gotten on their "rush list", so he was invited to a bunch of stuff, getting to know more guys as it went along. The fraternities got his name somehow, either from people they knew who knew him or from the ifc registration thing.

They'll find you