GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,035
1 members and 1,034 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, my story's been bumped. lol

Well, I'm glad some new people have enjoyed reading it. Looking back it really was an ordeal. I've learned from it though.

Tangelo, yes, tell your roommate's sister to persevere. She should be cautious though. I think there are some lessons to be learned from my experience.

PNMs:

Try not to fixate on one chapter! Although it might seem that that one sorority is the key to your entire future happiness, it simply isn't true.

Know thyself! (This is something that makes me nuts about a lot of PNMs.) Not everyone belongs in the super duper special fantastic sorority. And guess what? It might not really be that super fantastic. Why did I accept an invitation to the elite Polo and turn down Croquet? Because I wasn't being self-aware. I knew I didn't belong there. It wasn't just a set-up for disappointment, it was disregarding what was good about myself. So I'm not some blonde, blue-eyed, statuesque beauty from the country club. That's okay! Think about the positive aspects of yourself and try to find a chapter where you'll be appreciated for being you.

Try not to dismiss the smaller chapters. Sisterhood comes in all shapes and sizes. Depending on your personality, a medium or smaller chapter might be perfect for you. There are so many opportunities for personal growth in a sorority. A smaller chapter might just be the spot for you to shine.

/soapbox

Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Leslie Anne:

Not only are you a good storyteller, (I wonder if we had the same English teacher...I used to write for a living.) but you are very modest as well. Were you a Terpsie or part of Dance Company? Whatever you were called the dancers at the high school were/are EXCEPTIONALLY talented.

And from the old days, no you never had to be Jewish to join an historically Jewish house. Back in the olden days many sororities wouldn't accept Jewish girls in their chapters. So, we had our own. And in the olden days girls went to college to meet their future husbands. Intermarriage wasn't common then so AEPhi kind of stuck with ZBT...as an example.

Amazing story.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
LOVE LOVE LOVE this story! I'm addicted to the recruitment stories but don't usually post but this one was so great! I'm an english education major and your story was one of the best I've read all year lol.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

tangelo, if you come back to this... from what I heard, KD and Alpha Phi both took small fall new member classes (so their spring ones will be larger). However, they are two of the more selective houses on UMD's campus, so spring is still no guarantee even for a very competitive PNM. Your roommate's sister could definitely find her home in many more than just those 2 of the 14 wonderful houses there!

And again Leslie Anne (I posted this in the Bid Day pictures thread...), great story!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I too just read this thread for the first time - in one sitting! Wow, what a wonderful story full of twists and turns. Thank you for being so open and honest and I'm very glad that you ended up with Kappa Delta after such a long journey. A belated "congratulations" to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
...no you never had to be Jewish to join an historically Jewish house....
Very true. When I was active, my chapter was very mixed religiously. I believe that I am the only Puerto Rican Roman Catholic AEPhi that I know I just knew where I belonged.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:23 AM
GreekChat Member

this is the most amazing recruitment thread i have ever read in my entire life.

for the love of gawd get a publishing deal! <3

Forever and Ever my love goes to Royal Purple and Pure Gold
Old 11-24-2008, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

leslie is an amazing writer! i loveddd this story and the graphics definately helped bring the story to life
Old 02-24-2010, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

*Bump*

Leslie Anne, this was a great story with many twists & turns and so well written... and illustrated! Since we have a lull in recruitment stories for a good 6 months, this one fully deserves a bump. This is the type of thread that gives "retro" a good name
Old 02-24-2010, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

wow!!! so glad this was bumped I loved it!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: This simply IS the best Retro-Rush thread! Leslie Anne has such a wonderful way with words, and I just love-love-love the use of the Vargas girl sketches!

Leslie Anne Takes The Gold!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Aww. Thanks, Honey!