GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,950
0 members and 1,950 guests
No Members online

Old 06-23-2015, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

PNM Interviews

So I've been thinking sporadically (I do that a lot particularly with this topic...sorry force of habit), and I feel like last time the reason I got cut was because of the fact that I kind of messed up the interview portion. If someone asks me why I want to join the sorority, do you think this response will suffice?

Well, I know you guys are really focused on women and children with your philanthropy, which is one of the reasons I decided to rush, and I feel like I can be a good example of a balanced woman (their motto). I have experienced firsthand a form of dating violence, which was emotional abuse, and I know you guys work a lot with the RAINN (Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network) center, which I think is really great. I feel like the experience that I have had with emotional abuse can contribute in a way toward the New Member Education in the long run if I were to receive a bid.

If you think I should add anything or take anything out, let me know
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-23-2015, 03:40 PM

It's hard for a sorority to see someone as a member when they rattle off super canned "beauty pageant" answers that you have been rehearsing all summer.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Not in a sorority so I can't say what sororities want to hear or not...but using logic I can give advice.

Just saying from my perspective your answer sounds robotic and TMI. I know I'm a PNM but since no one has given feedback I'll give you feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizey7 View Post
Well, I know you guys are really focused on women and children with your philanthropy, which is one of the reasons I decided to rush,
This sounds fine. A lot of women join sororities to get involved with philanthropy.

Quote:
and I feel like I can be a good example of a balanced woman (their motto).
Um...they don't know you & you can't back it up. Sounds too try hard for me. You're like pretending to be one of them but you're not? It's like I wouldn't go to recruitment color coordinated outfits for each house based on their sorority colors...that's too try hard.

Quote:
I have experienced firsthand a form of dating violence, which was emotional abuse, and
TMI. Seems like you've been through a lot, but I wouldn't bring it up during recruitment.

Quote:
I know you guys work a lot with the RAINN (Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network) center, which I think is really great.
Sounds okay. I'd combine this with point #1.

Quote:
I feel like the experience that I have had with emotional abuse can contribute in a way toward the New Member Education in the long run if I were to receive a bid.
WHAT? Um...again, too try hard and arrogant. Sounds very plastic like the balanced woman comment.

I'd say this is what to keep:
"I'm really interested in women's and children's issues and I know you guys are really focused on women and children with your philanthropies. For example the work you do with the RAINN (Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network) center, I think is really great and was one of the reasons that attracted me to your sorority."

Do you want sisterhood? Do you want friends?

Girls join join sororities to find friends/sisters first and foremost. That's what my IRL sister who is a sorority "sister" said and why I wanna join. You need to bring out a more natural YOU and not sound so robotic.

Without wanting the social aspects of the org...anything you want can be filled by the women's center on campus or volunteering for orgs like RAINN yourself. Sisterhood and friendship is sets sororities apart from other orgs. Since that wasn't part of your answer maybe you don't want it? If you don't want sisterhood and friendship...do other things! If you want it then focus your answer on it because that's really the only legit reason I see to join.

And if you don't seem like a girl they wanna be friends with...you won't get a bid. I say be more natural. It'll be way less awk than what you wrote there.

Last edited by hopingtobe; 06-23-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:14 PM

^^^^^^You seem to know a lot for someone who hasn't gotten a bid yet. It's best to observe more as opposed to handing out advice, especially since you have yet to actually join!

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^^^^^^You seem to know a lot for someone who hasn't gotten a bid yet. It's best to observe more as opposed to handing out advice, especially since you have yet to actually join!
Thanks! I tried to say I know I can't speak for sororities bc I'm not in one but my point was I wouldn't go in with her answer for my rush. Especially after talking to my sister and older girls from my high school. I'm rushing at a competitive school so I don't know what sororities abc or xyz are looking for but I've done research into how to present myself. What kept coming up is to be natural and like a girl they could see as a friend.

The other stuff about sisterhood? That's just logical to me. Sorry I guess it come across knowitallish but I didn't mean it that way.

Anyway it's the internet and anyone can take or leave any advice but I wanted to leave specific feedback because there was none and elizey7 might not have gotten what you were hinting at.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
It's hard for a sorority to see someone as a member when they rattle off super canned "beauty pageant" answers that you have been rehearsing all summer.
This is just for me to get a general idea for what to say. Of course it will come out a little bit differently every time I talk to a member during rush, but that was the gist of it
Old 06-23-2015, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopingtobe View Post
Not in a sorority so I can't say what sororities want to hear or not...but using logic I can give advice.

Just saying from my perspective your answer sounds robotic and TMI. I know I'm a PNM but since no one has given feedback I'll give you feedback.

This sounds fine. A lot of women join sororities to get involved with philanthropy.

Um...they don't know you & you can't back it up. Sounds too try hard for me. You're like pretending to be one of them but you're not? It's like I wouldn't go to recruitment color coordinated outfits for each house based on their sorority colors...that's too try hard.

TMI. Seems like you've been through a lot, but I wouldn't bring it up during recruitment.

Sounds okay. I'd combine this with point #1.

WHAT? Um...again, too try hard and arrogant. Sounds very plastic like the balanced woman comment.

I'd say this is what to keep:
"I'm really interested in women's and children's issues and I know you guys are really focused on women and children with your philanthropies. For example the work you do with the RAINN (Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network) center, I think is really great and was one of the reasons that attracted me to your sorority."

Do you want sisterhood? Do you want friends?

Girls join join sororities to find friends/sisters first and foremost. That's what my IRL sister who is a sorority "sister" said and why I wanna join. You need to bring out a more natural YOU and not sound so robotic.

Without wanting the social aspects of the org...anything you want can be filled by the women's center on campus or volunteering for orgs like RAINN yourself. Sisterhood and friendship is sets sororities apart from other orgs. Since that wasn't part of your answer maybe you don't want it? If you don't want sisterhood and friendship...do other things! If you want it then focus your answer on it because that's really the only legit reason I see to join.

And if you don't seem like a girl they wanna be friends with...you won't get a bid. I say be more natural. It'll be way less awk than what you wrote there.
I didn't know if I should mention the sisterhood thing because that sounds like something a lot of potential members mention during rush, and I didn't want to sound like everyone else (I kinda wanted to set myself apart) but since you brought it up, and since I can use all the advice I can get, it actually does help
Old 06-23-2015, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't know if I should mention the sisterhood thing because that sounds like something a lot of potential members mention during rush, and I didn't want to sound like everyone else (I kinda wanted to set myself apart) but since you brought it up, and since I can use all the advice I can get, it actually does help
This answer focusing on philanthropy will immediately be seen for the BS answer that it is. The interviewing women want to know how can you help THIS chapter. How can you be a leader and dedicated to support your sisters, and be there to enthusiastically participate in chapter activities, not some crap about national philanthropy.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

The OP is rushing a local sorority at CSU-Channel Islands. She did not receive a bid when she rushed previously. She has requested (and received) help on converational skills several times in multiple threads but remains challenged.

Last edited by pinksequins; 06-23-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, elizey7- you need to just take a step back and relax. I can completely empathise with you; this is incredibly important to you, and you want to do your best. Rehearsing every single thing you will do and say is only going to come off as awkward and stilted to the sisters; it is NOT what you want to present. You have identified what some of your troubles were last time in recruitment, and you do know what you need to do (I've read it in your responses in all of your threads). Unfortunately, you can't be in control of everything in this- it's only partially in your hands. Take this time to think about and focus on other things. Once recruitment hits, you are going to be busy with that, so take advantage of it now!
Old 06-23-2015, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Cold in Canada is spot-on. Please bear in mind that CSU-CI students --- including women in the sorority -- may be reading GC and your posts.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopingtobe View Post
Thanks! I tried to say I know I can't speak for sororities bc I'm not in one but my point was I wouldn't go in with her answer for my rush. Especially after talking to my sister and older girls from my high school. I'm rushing at a competitive school so I don't know what sororities abc or xyz are looking for but I've done research into how to present myself. What kept coming up is to be natural and like a girl they could see as a friend.

The other stuff about sisterhood? That's just logical to me. Sorry I guess it come across knowitallish but I didn't mean it that way.

Anyway it's the internet and anyone can take or leave any advice but I wanted to leave specific feedback because there was none and elizey7 might not have gotten what you were hinting at.
I'm my opinion, you nailed it with your advice. Sometimes peers have better luck getting a message across.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 06-23-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
This answer focusing on philanthropy will immediately be seen for the BS answer that it is. The interviewing women want to know how can you help THIS chapter. How can you be a leader and dedicated to support your sisters, and be there to enthusiastically participate in chapter activities, not some crap about national philanthropy.
Wait.. philanthropy and community service are big reasons why I want to join a sorority but I shouldn't say that? I know it sounds cliche but even if I'm being honest that's not something that should be mentioned?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:39 AM

Saying "I have a cousin with special needs so I went to Special Olympics a few times, it's a great organization" - yes.

Relating EVERY SINGLE CONVERSATION to the group's national philanthropy - no.

As hopingtobe said, if it comes across that all you care about is philanthropy and sisterhood is a poor second, they're going to wonder why you don't just cut to the chase and volunteer directly for the organization instead of wasting a bunch of $$ on sorority dues.

Think about how it would sound if you were dating someone and all that person could or would talk about with you was your volunteer involvement with Meals On Wheels.

Last edited by 33girl; 06-24-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Think about how it would sound if you were dating someone and all that person could or would talk about with you was your volunteer involvement with Meals On Wheels.
I once went out with a guy who couldn't go more than five minutes without mentioning he worked at Goldman Sachs.

/hijack

Again, OP, the women in the sororities are looking to make friends. If you have general social anxiety, the way to overcome that is not to prepare canned answers, it's to practice being social. Perhaps you can practice making small talk with people at work or school or something so you get the hang of it and get less nervous doing it.