GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,530
2 members and 2,528 guests
John, Phrozen Sands

Old 07-02-2015, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Here's a thought:

I enjoyed friendships with other girls my entire life (starting with Brownies, going on to Job's Daughters, and other organizations as well) and wanted that to continue when I entered college. I knew that I would have that in a sorority. It was a safe haven for me from the large, impersonal University. Going to school with thousands of unknown people was intimidating - but was made much friendlier when I joined. I knew that at some point during the day I would run into another sister on campus and I would feel "at home" and "connected." I had seen what sorority women had (watching at Cal Berkeley, as well as watching the older sisters/friends I knew), and I wanted it.

I didn't think about philanthropy at the time, or leadership. I thought about friends. I thought about being part of a group, and belonging. AND yes I did think about parties - that was part of the equation. It wasn't until my senior year that I began to grasp the "lifetime membership" thing, and I saw how much I had been changed by my years of membership (including living in the house and rooming with a cross section of sisters, not always by their or my choice!). It was really about being friends, through all sorts of situations (some of which were pretty unpleasant). I liked what I saw, I wanted it, and I learned how to be an adult friend (corny, okay - but true, I had to learn!).

I'd want to know how they build and maintain friendships day-to-day. That's the bottom line for me.
I want to echo everything AZTheta has said. I also want to note that women need to keep an open mind about going through sorority recruitment. At the end of the day, you are all still NPC sisters. Trashing other sororities is never good and I'm not saying you would do that. Some of my best friends and people I can lean on happen to be in different sororities. One of my favorites is actually a Kappa Alpha Theta sister and while we are not sisters in Theta together, I am proud to still call her my NPC sister. She knows who she is .
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-02-2015, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I always thought that (per an NPC rule), sororities had to disclose money info during recruitment (even if it's just a ballpark figure in the recruitment book).

At my alma mater, during Day 2 of Recruitment we all were required give the PNMs brochures/pamphlets with all of our financial info in them, including the following:

*Dues (local/national)
*New member fees
*Initiation/Badge fees
*Parlor fees
*Room/Board fees
*Whether socials were included (if not, how much out of pocket)
*Fine information (whether the chapter fines & what for)

In addition, each chapter's Treasurer did a short (3-5 min) presentation about the stuff in the pamphlet and about whether the chapter offered scholarships or payment plans.

Yeah, we got some girls with a little "sticker shock" since we have to include alot of figures. But at least all of the info was out there and they could take it home, look it over, and think about whether they can afford it. That way, girls could see everything they'll have to pay in black & white, and there'd be no surprises after they got bids.

Of course we're in northern OH, so I'm sure our money discussion etiquette is different, but I think it made for FEWER money questions during rush because anything you needed to know was on the paper.

I think this might be a good practice for some of the more competitive schools.
Quote:
When you ask about finances (although, I would hold off until after the treasurer does her presentation), it doesn't hurt to mention that either you have a part-time job that will help you cover your dues, or if mommy & daddy are paying "I'm so glad that my parents support my joining a sorority" (I would use "support" instead of "are paying for"). Honestly, there are groups out there that will cut girls if they think they won't be able to pay for dues. It does them no good to offer a girl a spot, and then have her drop because she realizes that she can't afford it.

Is this normal for schools? I went through recruitment last year and i'm doing it again this year and we there wasn't a presentation about finances and it wasn't talked at any house I went to.

I'm sure people asked, but it wasn't explicitly discussed and stated to everyone.

I don't go to a southern school, but now i'm curious if it's inappropriate to ask.

Our Greek life office used to have information with every chapters dues and fees, but now they just have an average of what it would cost.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I think a range is very helpful, because at least you know the top amount you'll have to pay. I don't know if I'd ask more specifically than that -- you run a fine line between being justifiably curious and raising suspicion that you might not be able to afford membership costs, and will drop after the chapter has "spent" a bid on you.

Personally, I wish all chapters would share financial specifics. It helps chapters and house corporation boards stay in line with each other.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, for me first and foremost it was the friendships, and friendships with women I had much in common with. I had also been active in various activities since elementary school, and part of my attraction to Chi Omega was that so many were involved in campus organizations outside of the sorority. Scholarship was VERY important, something else I wanted to maintain.

I had the same two roommates the entire time I lived in the house. They weren't necessarily the sisters I was closest to, but that was fine as we all got along with each other and it was a peaceful living arrangement. I am a night owl and they were morning larks, but it really didn't matter. I would leave the room at night when they were ready to go to sleep and they were quiet for me in the morning. Many of us night owls would find ourselves in the stair wells for late night chats, where many of the best conversations took place!

Chi Omega