GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,121
2 members and 2,119 guests
fmanning

Old 06-17-2011, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

psusue, You know, I read your story and the entire time I thought, "I hope she didn't join my organization. I'd hate to think any of my sisters acted like that." I think the Sigmas at Penn State are lovely girls and I wish them the best of luck during recruitment! I'm sure you did fine!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-18-2011, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

PSUSue -

Dior at Penn State? Not the norm, I'm sure, even now.

After college, i was dating another former Penn Stater who was going to Bridgeport Law School, and because there were no good restaurants in Bridgeport, we went over to New Haven for dinner. On our way back to the car, we passed two Yale guys in full white tie and tails, drinking from a champagne bottle, and arguing over Sartre. I said to my date, "That's exactly like Penn State, except they'd be wearing sweatshirts and seed caps, drinking Rolling Rock, and arguing about JoePa."
Old 06-18-2011, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTamer View Post
PSUSue -

After college, i was dating another former Penn Stater who was going to Bridgeport Law School, and because there were no good restaurants in Bridgeport, we went over to New Haven for dinner. On our way back to the car, we passed two Yale guys in full white tie and tails, drinking from a champagne bottle, and arguing over Sartre. I said to my date, "That's exactly like Penn State, except they'd be wearing sweatshirts and seed caps, drinking Rolling Rock, and arguing about JoePa."
Rolling Rock or possibly Natty Light...hahaha. Too true!
Old 06-19-2011, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTamer View Post
PSUSue -

I take sincere pride in this statement.
I love my school
Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I've got a story. It is weird in that it's unusual but it is actually a VERY COOL story and I swear on everything I own that it happened. It really happened.

I'm Phi Mu and went to East Tennessee State University; graduated in '81 so it's been a while. There was a girl on campus who I'll call Jane and she was very well known because of heavy-duty leadership in SGA. She was also the GDI Supreme Grand Pubah. She started the entire GDI movement on campus and did not do it second rate; the girl even had GDI T-shirts made up for her followers. She HATED Greeks, period.

The fall of her SENIOR year (my junior year), Jane registered for Formal Rush, as we called it back in the day. Panhellenic was all abuzz -- "What is she up to?" "Where is this going?" You can imagine the questions!!

First round parties and we're doing the rotation. I rotate to Jane and didn't mince any words. "So Jane," I said, "Give me the scoop -- what made you decide to go through Rush?" She looked me straight in the eye and calmly said, "I have spent the past three years trying to run Greeks off this campus, but all you've done is get bigger and stronger. I started thinking maybe there is something to Greek Life I don't know about and that I might get an idea of what it is if I go through Rush."

Well, I was blown back by her honesty and willingness to admit that she might be wrong! It also hit me how hard it had to be to swallow crow in front of her GDI converts...yet she did not let pride stop her from considering the need to maybe right a wrong.

Turns out, Jane was in a 5-year program. Even though she was a senior, she had two years left of school; also, several of my Phi Mu sisters were senators in SGA and knew Jane in a whole different light than GDI Queen. They insisted she would make a great sister with much to contribute if we could just pry the GDI banner out of her hand. Everyone agreed it took a lot of courage to go through Rush...so I don't know if anyone else did, but we extended her a bid.

She declined it. Yet, she called our President every single day for three weeks to talk about it. Our prez finally said, "Jane! Just accept your bid. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO. If it turns out not to be for you, you can de-pledge, no questions asked and no hard feelings, OKAY????"

Well, she accepted the bid and joined our fall pledge class. The next quarter, she went active. That spring, she ended up serving as assistant treasurer. Over the summer, our treasurer decided not to return to school due to some family issues, so Jane stepped into that position and went into fall rush as an executive officer!!!

The moral of this story? You just never know!!! And the hardest of hard GDI hearts can be softened!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

This will be my first year rushing girls and I have a few odd stories from when I was being rushed myself. I will be frank. I was a hot awkward mess during rush. I have come SUCH A LONG WAY. It is almost unbelievable.
I go to a fairly competitive school. On the first day of rush, I woke up with 15 minutes until I was supposed to be at my first house. I didn't do my hair or make up and I wore a skirt that made me look Amish.
At one house I had 11 different girls talk to me (!!!) and it was only 20 minutes per house.
When I went to the "rich house" on campus, I didn't know that typically wealthy girls pledged there and I made the mistake of asking how much dues were. The two girls looked at me, looked at each other, looked at me, and then said,"what are dues?" loud enough so that the whole room could hear. And I said,"you know like how much it costs every semester." and they said ohhhhhh. well we don't know our daddies pay for it. The rest of the party was soooooo awkward.
By the end of the day I was tired and I had the same exact conversations with the last 4 houses. So I walked in and asked if we could talk about something besides my major because I was about to cry of boredom. She looked beyond flustered. I think I would've fit in well, but she probably thought I was weird/rude because I didn't get an invite back.
There was another house that seemed really nice, but in their tunnel I saw a girl who looked like a transvestite. I couldn't stop thinking about it the entire party and that is still the only thing I remember about that house.
On the 2nd day we were supposed to have 8 houses back and I only got 3. On the 3rd day, the house I am in now paired me with another military girl and I could've sworn she didn't like me, but i still ranked them 1st. The next day they paired me with her again and I told her that I didn't think I was going to get invited back because I thought she didn't like me. Then she rushed me again for pref, and I preffed. Well, she ended up being my big, and we really didn't have much in common, and she ended up going early alum
This was disappointing, but since my big/little family was so large (I have 3 "cousins"), I felt the need to have another member in my direct line. So even though I was a freshman, I took a little in the spring. She is amazing and even though we are almost complete opposites, I love her so much! I am so excited to be getting closer to my pledge class as well as another Little, a G Little, and Bid Day Buddy! So much spoiling!

Last edited by TAJ<3; 07-28-2011 at 02:37 AM. Reason: more explanation
Old 08-02-2011, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I read through this ENTIRE thread. I learned a lot about what not to do as a PNM this fall! Very entertaining stories, you guys are great
Old 08-08-2011, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Reading this thread makes me both dread and look forward to fall recruitment this year.

That said, I've got a kinda-odd story from when I was going through recruitment.

My roommate last year kept telling me she wasn't interested in going Greek and made a point of being gone when I'd get ready for recruitment parties, and since I thought she didn't really care I never told her which houses I was visiting each day. But when I'd come back, she'd be like, "Oh, how was ABC and XYZ?" and so on. I didn't think much of it on the first day, but since not everyone was visiting every house on day two it sort of freaked me out when she knew where I'd been!

To this day I still don't know how she did it, she never told me and claims she was off-campus all day. I hadn't heard from her much over the summer but she texted me out of the blue today to say she was thinking about trying recruitment in the fall. She'll make a pretty interesting PNM, I think.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

2 Fraternity Men Going Through Sorority Recruitment

This is definitely my "bestest" recruitment story...

In the mid-80's, when I was a collegian, we received a phone call from the Panhellenic Office in between the first and second parties of Round One: Two fraternity men, named Pat and Chris, had officially registered for sorority rush under their real names. No one realized that they were guys until they showed up to meet their Rho Chis at the first house on that group's schedule. The Panhellenic office told us to be polite to them and not to make a scene, for the sake of the legitimate PNMs. An administrator was being sent to either our house or their 3rd scheduled party, to intercept the guys and pull them out of the group, but she definitely wouldn't get there before our party started.

We all tried to get a discrete look out the window as the group lined up on the sidewalk outside our house. First in line were the 2 Rho Chis, looking really put out as they clutched their clipboards. A few feet away, in the front of the line, were the 2 guys...and this was classic. They were definitely sporting "what not to wear" outfits...ugly wigs, elbow purses like Queen Elizabeth, floral house dresses, and sensible pumps. One had a straw hat with a flower on the brim, and their make-up left a lot to be desired...especially the big, round, pink circles of blush on each cheek. The PNMs were lined up a safe distance down the sidewalk and looked completely befuddled and even more nervous than usual. The guys, who were well-known in the Greek community, had huge smiles and were eagerly and patiently waiting.

As they came in, we paired them off with a couple of steadfast members who steered them into the TV room for conversation, instead of the living room. I'm not even sure they realized this was a "snub" because the next day the campus newspaper ran a front-page story on the whole debacle and we were really happy because we got some great PR out of the whole adventure...one of the guys was quoted as saying the "Gamma Phi Betas were the friendliest house and were the nicest to us."
Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
A few feet away, in the front of the line, were the 2 guys...and this was classic. They were definitely sporting "what not to wear" outfits...ugly wigs, elbow purses like Queen Elizabeth, floral house dresses, and sensible pumps. One had a straw hat with a flower on the brim, and their make-up left a lot to be desired...especially the big, round, pink circles of blush on each cheek.
This is fantastically hilarious.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes...their outfits are what took a great prank idea from obnoxious to really memorable.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:29 PM

Pat & Chris? They should have dressed like this!

(I couldn't find a pic of Dana Carvey in his Chris duds. )
Old 08-10-2011, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
This is definitely my "bestest" recruitment story...

In the mid-80's, when I was a collegian, we received a phone call from the Panhellenic Office in between the first and second parties of Round One: Two fraternity men, named Pat and Chris, had officially registered for sorority rush under their real names. No one realized that they were guys until they showed up to meet their Rho Chis at the first house on that group's schedule. The Panhellenic office told us to be polite to them and not to make a scene, for the sake of the legitimate PNMs. An administrator was being sent to either our house or their 3rd scheduled party, to intercept the guys and pull them out of the group, but she definitely wouldn't get there before our party started.

We all tried to get a discrete look out the window as the group lined up on the sidewalk outside our house. First in line were the 2 Rho Chis, looking really put out as they clutched their clipboards. A few feet away, in the front of the line, were the 2 guys...and this was classic. They were definitely sporting "what not to wear" outfits...ugly wigs, elbow purses like Queen Elizabeth, floral house dresses, and sensible pumps. One had a straw hat with a flower on the brim, and their make-up left a lot to be desired...especially the big, round, pink circles of blush on each cheek. The PNMs were lined up a safe distance down the sidewalk and looked completely befuddled and even more nervous than usual. The guys, who were well-known in the Greek community, had huge smiles and were eagerly and patiently waiting.

As they came in, we paired them off with a couple of steadfast members who steered them into the TV room for conversation, instead of the living room. I'm not even sure they realized this was a "snub" because the next day the campus newspaper ran a front-page story on the whole debacle and we were really happy because we got some great PR out of the whole adventure...one of the guys was quoted as saying the "Gamma Phi Betas were the friendliest house and were the nicest to us."
This is a weird rush story worth experiencing. And those guys have an awesome story to tell. I can't believe they made it to the third round of parties without anyone stopping them! Classic.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
This is a weird rush story worth experiencing. And those guys have an awesome story to tell. I can't believe they made it to the third round of parties without anyone stopping them! Classic.
I think Sciencewoman meant the third party of the day.

Quote:
An administrator was being sent to either our house or their 3rd scheduled party, to intercept the guys and pull them out of the group, but she definitely wouldn't get there before our party started.
And yes, this is hilarious!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:49 PM

OMG, Sciencewoman, that is too funny!

I guess that's one advantage of having fraternity and sorority rush taking place simultaneously... the guys would be too busy with fraternity rush to mess with sorority rush.

I'm kinda surprised no one picked up on them before they made it to their first party, though.