GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,395
0 members and 2,395 guests
No Members online

Old 12-01-2005, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

CMU Expansion

Thought you guys might be interested!
Greek love,
Jamie

http://www.studentaffairs.cmu.edu/student-life/greek/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Unregistered-

How wonderful for the Carnegie Mellon Greeks!

Anyone familiar with the campus know about its Greek history? If any NPCs were previously on campus but have since closed?

AFAIK, AGD has never established a chapter at Carnegie Mellon.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:15 PM

That's really great news! I wonder which NPC sorority will end up colonizing there? I'd like to see Delta Zeta but since that would make 4 chapters within miles of one another, that might be a bit of DZ overkill.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:19 PM

This was touched on in the "what can be done to help smaller GLOs" thread which went on many o' tangents. (BTW - can someone split that thread please - thanks.)

The thing I'm most curious about is whether they have any desire to be part of XO again or whether they would tell them to go jump in the lake.

P.S. TRACY I LOVE YOU!! Since your prince has already come...can you do something about my lack of prince situation...LOL.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
I looked at the history of Zeta Psi Sigma (the group that wishes to be "adopted" by a NPC group) and the founders of Zeta Psi Sigma were once Chi Omega "pledges" - but the chapter closed before their initiation so they started Zeta Psi Sigma.

I think it'd be super cool if Chi Omega came back there!! I believe Chi Omega closed there in 1992.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteDaisy128
I looked at the history of Zeta Psi Sigma (the group that wishes to be "adopted" by a NPC group) and the founders of Zeta Psi Sigma were once Chi Omega "pledges" - but the chapter closed before their initiation so they started Zeta Psi Sigma.

I think it'd be super cool if Chi Omega came back there!! I believe Chi Omega closed there in 1992.
That would make it seem as if it's a lead pipe cinch that ChiO would have the fast track towards the colony.

Yet, if they like their Zeta, they may go with Zeta Tau Alpha. Or just go another way.

I just hope we present! The Pitt ADPi chapter has mixers with the CMU fraternities already...
Old 12-01-2005, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
That would make it seem as if it's a lead pipe cinch that ChiO would have the fast track towards the colony.

Yet, if they like their Zeta, they may go with Zeta Tau Alpha. Or just go another way.

I just hope we present! The Pitt ADPi chapter has mixers with the CMU fraternities already...
ChiOs also have a very strong chapter at Pitt and a lot of alumnae in the area, so those are pluses.

CMU is a very unique school, it'll be interesting to see which way they go.

It would've been fun to have another KD chapter in the area as an undergrad. I'd love to have one as an alumna, but I don't know that that'll happen.

I'm guessing nearly every group will submit a packet. The cost of colonization would be low- no uge house, rush isn't fancy at all, not extremely competitive. Potential alumnae donations are high- in general, CMU grads make VERY good money- it's an excellent school.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteDaisy128

Actually the web page for that local states that the founders were initiated members of Chi Omega. Soon after initiation, their chapter was closed. They left Chi Omega and founded the local. I would think that scenario would make Chi O the least likely candidate.

http://www.zetapsisigma.org/history.php
Old 12-02-2005, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
I'm interested to see who they chose. From the "smaller orgs" thread, it was pointed out that several of the "smaller" NPC's have chapters at PA schools and at some of the Pittsburgh schools.

Is Duquesne holding presentations at the same time or is there a bit of a lag between presentations? What are the odds of one group getting both CMU and DU (or doesn't it work that way?). Does the local have the "majority say" of who they affiliate with or is it done by the Panhel council or a combo of both?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
I'm interested to see who they chose. From the "smaller orgs" thread, it was pointed out that several of the "smaller" NPC's have chapters at PA schools and at some of the Pittsburgh schools.

Is Duquesne holding presentations at the same time or is there a bit of a lag between presentations? What are the odds of one group getting both CMU and DU (or doesn't it work that way?). Does the local have the "majority say" of who they affiliate with or is it done by the Panhel council or a combo of both?
The last time I saw a colony form, the people interested had their numbered list of which sororities they felt comfortable with, and Panhel had theirs. It was then matched much like bid-matching, yet Panhel was very aware of the first and/or second choice(s) of the colony - WHEN it was a group asking a NPC sorority to come in.

It's different when an NPC sorority colonizes on a campus - the Collegiate Panhellenic ask NPC for letters from all sororities who may be interested. The CPC then narrows the list to those they'd like to hear presentations about. From those presentations, the choice is made, and then the full-blown colonization process begins!
Old 12-02-2005, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

This is slightly off topic...

What exactly is in an expansion packet? Is it basically a letter that says "ABC Sorority would like to expand to your campus," or do they send a nice folder filled with information for the campus to look at?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by KatieKate1244
This is slightly off topic...

What exactly is in an expansion packet? Is it basically a letter that says "ABC Sorority would like to expand to your campus," or do they send a nice folder filled with information for the campus to look at?
It's that, only much more intense. Usually a video is included, along with any information which you can possibly imagine on the sorority - colors, mascot, creed, philanthropy, costs, headquarters - you name it! It's one of the greatest sales presentations that you'll ever see!
Old 12-02-2005, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
It's that, only much more intense. Usually a video is included, along with any information which you can possibly imagine on the sorority - colors, mascot, creed, philanthropy, costs, headquarters - you name it! It's one of the greatest sales presentations that you'll ever see!
Oooohhh, I want to see one now! (I wonder if my school has the DZ laying around...)
Old 12-02-2005, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by KatieKate1244
Oooohhh, I want to see one now! (I wonder if my school has the DZ laying around...)
Ours isn't easily attainable, but I hope yours is!
Old 12-02-2005, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Dusquene is about a month ahead of CMU's schedule at least. Dusquene's presentations are next week.

For CMU, Groups have not been selected for presentations yet. The deadline is coming up tho.

The local at CMU was formerly a Chi Omega chapter. The chapter disbanded due to #s and the local was formed. It was about 1995 so there are still plenty of local alums who can be initiated by new NPC. No idea if Chi O is interested. Time will tell.

Denise

Last edited by Denise_DPhiE; 12-02-2005 at 12:14 PM.