GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,569
1 members and 2,568 guests
Tridentia

Old 10-16-2002, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

The exact same thing happened to me...

I joined a service sorority first because I thought it was the "same thing" and found out that I just plain out didn't fit in. I faked it for a while, even held an office, but then started dating a fraternity boy who saw how unnaturally unhappy I actually was, and he encouraged me to rush...

...Don't worry about people looking down on you because you joined a service sorority first. The thing is, part of what sororities do IS service. And if they are going to cut you for that, anyway, you don't want to be in their sorority, because it's not what you are. I don't think anyone looked down on me because I was in a service sorority first. I explained to people that I had wanted the sisterhood, but I had wanted to go through it with someone else, and a bunch of the girls on my hall were doing this service sorority (by the way, all 4 of the girls on my hall who did it with me rushed, and 2 of us went DG, 1 went Kappa, and the other ended up dropping out of rush but has a completely new life and my roommate was in the service sorority with me and she ended up going DG, too).

I'm glad that I went through formal recruitment. It allowed me a chance to be in a sorority that I FIT in. I got to look at 10 sororities and meet tons of girls and figure out exactly where I fit best, and I get to do all of this service within the sorority. It's everything that I wanted. (Plus, mixers are a pretty big perk that I couldn't enjoy in a service sorority)
Old 10-17-2002, 10:41 AM

thanks Laura, my bloodstream is about 75% cough meds right now, so brain is not too chipper.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OPAGal
CarolinaDG our stories really sound alike. And don't get me wrong OPA would be a great group for someone who cares nothing about sisterhood. I personally though thought that if you called you self a sorority that sisterhood would be naturally important to you. I guess I was wrong.

UPDATE: No word yet on anymore COB parties. I think a lot of chapters are really busy this week next week is homecoming. I will be attending homecoming with my boyfriend and his fraternity so maybe I can get some good conections while I'm there. If I have to wait till next semester or formal rush I'll be fine, but I just want to get to know some of the girls and what each sorority is really all about.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry this is so long...

I just want to make sure everyone knows that there are chapters of OPA where sisterhood is VERY important, my chapter being one of them. I've gotten fairly close to the girls in my chapter just in the past month. I can call any one of them up and they'll be here in a split second. The actives call me often to see how I am, if I want to hang out, to see how my day's been, etc. Our pledge class is extremely close. (One of them is my roommate.) We try and have sisterhood events at least every other week. On top of that, we have our service projects, we spend time together outside of sorority events/meetings, and I have the BEST big sister in the world. We have a small chapter, so maybe it's just easier for us than it is for the larger ones. Although that's kind of hard for me to believe with the huge sororities having such awesome sisterhoods themsleves. We don't have any girls who are in social sororities (by their own choice), but when I brought up the possibility of rushing the NPC sororities, the local or the Christian sorority in addition to OPA, they were 100% behind me and even encouraged me. (I haven't rushed the NPC, local or Christian sororities yet. Verdict's still out on that one...)
If the majority of the women in a chapter don't like each other, or aren't committed to OPA, of course there isn't going to BE anything resembling sisterhood.

OPAGal, I hope that your sisters that have hurt you and your little can see where they've been wrong and can fix it. I hate to see people misrepresenting the sorority I've come to love so quickly. You're in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope you find a group that offers you the sisterhood you deserve and will be at home in!
Old 10-18-2002, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, don't get me wrong, either. There are plenty of girls who actually stuck with it and love it, but it just wasn't for me. And mine was different in that it wasn't the sisterhood that was missing from the sorority... I didn't feel like I fit in with the sisterhood, but it was there... rather, I didn't feel like there was enough service going on. Let's face it, there are 9 sororities on campus, which means 9 philanthropy events that we participate in (well, actually, 7 because tri-delt and ADPi open theirs up to only fraternities) plus Sigma Chi's Derby Days, Pi Kapp's PUSH America, Sig Ep's Car Wash for Cancer, and Lambda Chi's MS Walk. And that's just what we do with the sorority. There are also tons of chances that come up around campus and off campus. I didn't feel like there was enough service in the service sorority for that to be the point of sticking with it. Especially comparing it to how much I do with DG.

Anyway, my point is, people can have good experiences in these sororities, but it just wasn't for me.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Carolina DG,

What service sorority was it? I'm just being nosey.

OPAGal, I hope that everything works out for you. You should find a sorority home that you can get a more positive experience from. Even though I'm in a service sorority right now, I would tell any of my sisters the same thing (after trying to work things out first, of course). Being Greek is about being happy in your choice, no matter if it's service, social or whatever.

Good Luck!!

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."