GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,333
2 members and 1,331 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 05-24-2000, 11:15 AM
TishaC.

Question What are the elite sororities?

I saw someone say fourth-rate sorority? What are the elite sororities?
Old 05-24-2000, 06:53 PM
veruca

Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GreekGoddess:
[B]Kappa Kappa Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta, Delta Gamma, Pi Beta Phi, and Delta Delta Delta

Sigma Kappa and Alpha Phi are also popular in a lot of places.

I'd actually have to agree with you there. We should probably add Gamma Phi Beta and Chi Omega. These would be the older, larger and, generally speaking, stronger houses.
Old 05-24-2000, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

On the east coast I find the opposite University of Maryland has the only GPhiB Chapter in the state. At least in Maryland, Phi Sigma Sigma, Kappa Delta, AOPi, and ZTA are the larger sororities. So I think this shows that it varies from state to state or even region to region.
Old 05-24-2000, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Dont forget Alpha Delta Pi and Phi Mu. ADP was the first GLO for woman and Phi Mu is the second oldest and fourth largest organization for woman in the nation.
Old 05-24-2000, 11:42 PM
AXOgirl

I think it is terrible that you can say what the "elite" sororities are. A sorority is something that is special to you, and being "elite" should have nothing to do with it. How do you decide what "elite" is? Is it simply numbers? Or founding date? Or number of famous alumni?

Without being completely biased, I happen to think that Alpha Chi Omega is an extremely prestigious sorority. However, I haven't seen it mentioned at all within any of the posts. We have exceptionally large numbers throughout the country and are known for our fine reputation, as many other sororities are.

Please stop worrying about prestige. A sorority can only be important when you give your love and support to it, and receive similar attributes in return.
Old 05-25-2000, 12:44 AM
GreekGoddess

Cool

Ok, even though nobody is supposed to talk about this and if going through rush you should pick the house that to you feels like home which is very true.
If you had to pick the sterotypically "elite sororities they would be (maybe not at your school but overall)....
Kappa Kappa Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta, Delta Gamma, Pi Beta Phi, and Delta Delta Delta

No, they are not always "the best" but we're talking about sterotypes. Sigma Kappa and Alpha Phi are also popular in a lot of places. The orgin of these sororities being concidered elite over others would be that they were started the earliest and all of them helped start Panhellenic council. However there are 26 sororites in the PHC and all are wonderful organizations. Thanks -GG

also- I was just speaking in terms of the PHC sororites here. Sorry to the NPHC and locals. I just don't know a lot about you.
Old 05-25-2000, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't forget Delta Zeta if you are looking for a Social Sorority, we are one of the largest International Sororities in the World. I was once told we were the largest, but I don't think that is true any longer.

------------------
Mikki Gates
Delta Zeta Alum
Kappa Mu Chapter
Sigma Alpha Iota Alum
Eta Tau Chapter

"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."

--Julia Roberts
(Steel Magnolias)

Visit me at:
http://homepages.go.com/~dzkm433/index.html
and
http://www.calypso.com/dzkm433/welcomtomyworld.chtml
Old 05-25-2000, 09:50 AM

Wink

When you consider the small percentage of people who attend college...

and the even smaller percentage of that who are lucky enough to be part of a sorority...

I think we're all pretty doggone "elite"!

In all seriousness, I'm getting kind of sick of seeing questions like this on here. In case you haven't gotten it yet from the 10,000 times we've all said it, the BEST organization is the one that is BEST FOR YOU. If the only reason you want to join this one or that is because of its "prestige," please don't even bother getting involved because that is NOT what greek life is about.
Old 05-25-2000, 11:50 AM
GreekGoddess

Ok, to clear things up...
I was not talking about which organizations are "the best" because of course you have to go to the place that is best for you. That is common sense. However, anyone involved in the greek community knows that traditionally certain GTO's have been concidered "elite", not that this should ever be a reason for joining one house over another. All that I was doing is answering a question that was asked. These tradionally "elite" reputations do exist and repeating the "chose what is best for you" message is not an honest anwser. I think that part of moving beyond the bad rep that sororities have had for a long time now is to admit that there have been times when sororities have been elite, snobby, slutty, have been involved in hazing, incouraged bad drinking habits ect. To admit that these problems have existed and that we as a whole are not proud of them is to move back in the direction of the high ideals an principles that our founders all set out for us. It is ok to say "yes this is what we have done" as long as we also say "but this is where we're going". Honesty is the key here people.-GG
Old 05-27-2000, 07:04 AM
Greek Me

Tri-Delt's and Delta Gamma's are the girls
Old 05-27-2000, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm inclined to agree with the first reply–

Kappas, Thetas, DG's, and Pi Phi's are considered the top 4 at my school. But because they are "in demand," they all have bad attitudes and are full of themselves. Fuck that. I wish I knew more girls in Chi Omega.

------------------
andrew watters
Theta Chi –*ucla
Old 05-28-2000, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

At my school we had these sororites(while I was an undergraduate)

Alpha Omicron Pi (Elite)
Chi Omega (Elite)
Alpha Phi (Elite)
Gamma Phi Beta (semi-elite)
Phi Mu (not elite)
Zeta Tau Alpha (not elite)

and after I graduated I heard Alpha Xi Delta came to our school but I'm not sure about how they stand. Our sororities were pretty large and we had something like 16 fraternities on campus.

Kevin Mullinix
Beta Theta Pi Alum
Epsilon Mu Chapter
George Mason University
Old 05-28-2000, 12:58 AM
Greek girl

The most elite sororities in my opinion are Alpha Sigma Tau, Alpha Phi, and Kappa Kappa Gamma.
Old 05-28-2000, 05:18 PM
SGRHO_98

The sorority that is "elite" is the one that is right for you. Only then will it be "elite" and that's in your heart. Sororities-all sororities have the same premise-helping others in whatever way your organization sees fit. So in that respect...aren't we all elite...???

Sigma Gamma Rho
Beta Omicron Fall 98
Old 05-28-2000, 11:57 PM
veruca

Get over it. SGR - this post is not about disrespecting some peoples organizations. As GreekGoddess rather eloquently pointed out, some organizations simply have more name recognition and associated prestige attached to them. To answer the question posed honestly we must acknowledge the truth. This does NOT mean that any group that didn't make our silly little "list" is somehow lesser in terms of your individual experience within your chosen group on your campus. I would also like to point out that a similar question was asked for IFC fraternities and there didn't seem to be as much outcry against the question. (Just my two cents.)