GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,014
2 members and 1,012 guests
naraht, Titchou

Old 10-04-2010, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notYourOrdinary View Post
Thanks for the advice, i have always wanted to go out of state, and the vet school i'm looking into is in alabama so thats nice (trying to get in-state for grad school lol) . Yes! my mistake when i transferred to my CC now, i didn't know that some credits won't count at different colleges so when i transferred from my 4 year university, my CC didn't take some of my credits. (which, is why i'm in the situation i'm in now ) Luckily, the credit evaluator did hep me find some equivalents.
This year i've noticed that a lot of schools give you a list of the courses they will transfer over from your transcript once you have been accepted which is nice when deciding what school to choose.
You can also make an appointment with someone on the faculty that can look over your transcript and tell you what will transfer if UAB or Troy don't have such a list. Call the schools before you go and ask if this would be possible. (I've had a couple of friends that did this because it came down to which school accepted the most credits).

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-04-2010, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
I grew up in Mountain Brook (a suburb of Birmingham), so I can tell you this...great temperatures, horrible humidity, haha. I know more about UAB since I have relatives that attend school there, but I've heard good things about Troy, too. I have to admit I don't know anything about the dorm situation, but that's a good question to ask. Ask your tour guide if they're Greek or familiar with the system, because if they are they can certainly answer a lot of your questions accurately. If you don't get your questions answered soon I'll be glad to find a current student who can answer them.

Al's has Mediterranean food and it's amazing...I always end up there after shows at night haha. The Purple Onion is also yummy.

The streets downtown are on a grid system, so the good news is it will be easy to find your way around!
I live in florida now so i think i can handle the humidity lol! Im leaning more towards UAB then Troy, but i think once i get up there ill know for sure Thank you so much for being so kind, i will keep you updated when i go on my tour.
YUM! i love mediterranean food, lol now what's the Purple Onion? lol
Old 10-04-2010, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
You can also make an appointment with someone on the faculty that can look over your transcript and tell you what will transfer if UAB or Troy don't have such a list. Call the schools before you go and ask if this would be possible. (I've had a couple of friends that did this because it came down to which school accepted the most credits).
When i go up for my tour would it be wise then to being an unofficial transcript so they can look at it that way? That would make sense to know before i apply so i'm not wasting money on application fees and requesting all my transcripts for a college where in the end i find out won't take a lot of my courses.

I have to say being a transfer student is so much more harder than being a high school senior, i wish i would have did more research before deciding on a college. Trying not to dwell on the past. sighh* lol
Old 10-04-2010, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, i have always wanted to go out of state, and the vet school i'm looking into is in alabama so thats nice (trying to get in-state for grad school lol) . Yes! my mistake when i transferred to my CC now, i didn't know that some credits won't count at different colleges so when i transferred from my 4 year university, my CC didn't take some of my credits. (which, is why i'm in the situation i'm in now ) Luckily, the credit evaluator did hep me find some equivalents.
This year i've noticed that a lot of schools give you a list of the courses they will transfer over from your transcript once you have been accepted which is nice when deciding what school to choose.
You need to find out what is appropriate and accepted for residency because states are much stricter about it than before. Just what I glanced for Alabama requires a lot of proof, which can include financial independence, and not moving to Alabama just for school. That could mean going a couple months early and getting a job, living off campus, changing your car, license, voter registration, bank account, filing taxes, and on and on. Oregon is so strict that you can not be considered a resident if you attend school at all in your first year there. You could be put in a bad situation if your parents are claiming you on their taxes yet you claim residency in Alabama, and not filing taxes. I was kind of shocked if they receive documentation with an out of state address you get booted back to non-resident, crazy.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
You need to find out what is appropriate and accepted for residency because states are much stricter about it than before. Just what I glanced for Alabama requires a lot of proof, which can include financial independence, and not moving to Alabama just for school. That could mean going a couple months early and getting a job, living off campus, changing your car, license, voter registration, bank account, filing taxes, and on and on. Oregon is so strict that you can not be considered a resident if you attend school at all in your first year there. You could be put in a bad situation if your parents are claiming you on their taxes yet you claim residency in Alabama, and not filing taxes. I was kind of shocked if they receive documentation with an out of state address you get booted back to non-resident, crazy.
Oh no i'm not talking about now, i would claim residency before i go to Grad school i have about 2+ year to finish my bachelors and then for sure decide with i want to do with that. in 2 year + grace period, i should be able to figure it out... Hopefully. But, i'm doing the research. My friend who's in California (she goes to champman) now told me it would take her 3 years to claim residency so by her senior year she should be able to claim residency right before grad school.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello notYourOrdinary...my daughter attends UAB as a science major and is an Alpha Xi Delta. She loves the school and her sorority! UAB started many years ago as a commuter college but the current President has worked hard to change that image and campus. There are no sorority houses, as stated earlier, they each have suites. I will be happy to answer what I can or I can get you in touch with her. She hates computers though because they seem to hate her so she isn't on very often! lol
Old 10-04-2010, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdavis4 View Post
Hello notYourOrdinary...my daughter attends UAB as a science major and is an Alpha Xi Delta. She loves the school and her sorority! UAB started many years ago as a commuter college but the current President has worked hard to change that image and campus. There are no sorority houses, as stated earlier, they each have suites. I will be happy to answer what I can or I can get you in touch with her. She hates computers though because they seem to hate her so she isn't on very often! lol

That would be great! I wasn't familiar with UAB until my mom and i did a in depth college search and saw the tour on Youniversity.com and i loved it! I'm planning to go up to Alabama and visit UAB (and troy) next month. I'll pm you! thank you so much !
Old 10-10-2010, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh no i'm not talking about now, i would claim residency before i go to Grad school i have about 2+ year to finish my bachelors and then for sure decide with i want to do with that. in 2 year + grace period, i should be able to figure it out... Hopefully. But, i'm doing the research. My friend who's in California (she goes to champman) now told me it would take her 3 years to claim residency so by her senior year she should be able to claim residency right before grad school.
Be careful with that. I moved to a new state to go to grad school, and after a year and a half I applied for in-state status. I was shot down. One of the reasons given was that the school did not consider my student loans to be "income." Funny, it felt like income to me.

I think that the best route to getting in-state status is working full time for a year or more, and perhaps taking a class or two part time. If you are a grad student, your school should also give automatic in-state status to any student who is working on campus as a TA, GA, or RA. If I had it to do over again, I would chose the latter route.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I live in florida now so i think i can handle the humidity lol! Im leaning more towards UAB then Troy, but i think once i get up there ill know for sure Thank you so much for being so kind, i will keep you updated when i go on my tour.
YUM! i love mediterranean food, lol now what's the Purple Onion? lol
Well then, you understand how it is. Right now, for instance, it is for some reason hot outside again. My hair is not happy. Definitely update us! The Purple Onion is sort of a mix of Mediterranean and American foods...also there's Surin (Thai) in 5 points, which is also heaven. I love food, can you tell?

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx