GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,040
2 members and 1,038 guests
No Members online

Old 09-18-2014, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Nothing of value to contribute to this thread but

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post

Somebody should warn them.
YES.

And the title reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx40udwQvZI
Old 09-19-2014, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Breware the Kragle
Old 09-19-2014, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There are no criminal penalties being applied. The sanctions are targeting an organization, not an individual. Courts have agreed many times that there are limits on free speech.

All of which is to say that this argument is so bad, I think you must be trolling.
Of course courts have said there are limits on free speech. But if this qualifies as speech—unlike Kevin, I'm not as convinced it does—I don't think those limits would apply here. Kevin's argument isn't nearly as bad as you seem to think. Except, that is, as to the claim of offended students being "overly sensitive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by redryder27 View Post
i'm sorry but people are being way to sensitive about this ENTIRE THING!! since these are college aged women just playing around, i really don't think they were thinking about serious sanctions like this when they were dressing up, maybe like they did to high school.
Then it's time for these college-aged women to grow up and learn that their stupidity and cluelessness can have consequences.

Last edited by MysticCat; 09-19-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:08 AM
Banned

And the "these are college-aged people" ignores the demographics of "these college-aged people". It is no coincidence that most of these parties are thrown by white people--despite the prevalence of predominantly non-white college environments in which racial and ethnic minority students (GLO and GDI) have parties (some are themed parties and usually without racial, ethnic, and cultural themes).

Therefore, it is about something more than being "college-aged". I find it amusing when people attempt to race-neutralize these discussions.

Last edited by DrPhil; 09-19-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Banned

Perhaps the people in the OP story were not as stupid and extreme as other parties but this is still a good time to remind people of this article:

http://blackathlete.net/2013/02/spor...theme-parties/

No disrespect to white people but I am not shocked when white college students have these parties (and take photos). I am shocked when nonwhite college students participate in the parties and photos. The photo of the women (I assume a sorority chapter) and there are nonwhite sorority women smiling like idiots---that grates my nerves. Perhaps it is an example of people so happy to be accepted and assimilated as "white enough" that they will do anything to prove they are not an Other.

The Omega-mockery photo is horrible but it still makes me chuckle. How dare they.

Last edited by DrPhil; 09-19-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Perhaps the people in the OP story were not as stupid and extreme as other parties but this is still a good time to remind people of this article:

http://blackathlete.net/2013/02/spor...theme-parties/

No disrespect to white people but I am not shocked when white college students have these parties (and take photos). I am shocked when nonwhite college students participate in the parties and photos. The photo of the women (I assume a sorority chapter) and there are nonwhite sorority women smiling like idiots---that grates my nerves. Perhaps it is an example of people so happy to be accepted and assimilated as "white enough" that they will do anything to prove they are not an Other.

The Omega-mockery photo is horrible but it still makes me chuckle. How dare they.
We have quite a few students who enjoy dressing up as Black people on Halloween. And little do they know, I have saved their lives from getting their faces pounded in because I didn't want to offended students to get in trouble. I don't care too much about the "they are college students" argument, and neither do others who are offended.

AND I WISH A CHICK WOULD WEAR MY LETTERS AND BE IN BLACKFACE.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
We have quite a few students who enjoy dressing up as Black people on Halloween. And little do they know, I have saved their lives from getting their faces pounded in because I didn't want to offended students to get in trouble. I don't care too much about the "they are college students" argument, and neither do others who are offended.
Exactly. "They are college students" implies college students are clueless and stupid (which counters the notion that college students are legal adults who can handle running chapters, having jobs, etc.). I cannot stand when humans want to be adults and then want to be children when it suits them.

Some of us weren't allowed to be clueless and stupid, in general, and especially when it pertained to race, ethnicity, culture, and socioeconomic status. It requires privilege to act or claim clueless and stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
AND I WISH A CHICK WOULD WEAR MY LETTERS AND BE IN BLACKFACE.
The closest I have come at different schools is attending predominantly white parties where white women were OOO-OOOPing and carrying on. LOL. Those were my last predominantly white parties.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
The closest I have come at different schools is attending predominantly white parties where white women were OOO-OOOPing and carrying on. LOL. Those were my last predominantly white parties.
I totally get that. I had to attend a multitude of meetings when some young ladies got stupid. It made national news.

http://www.bgnews.com/kent-state-sor...b624a9ac8.html
Old 09-19-2014, 11:20 AM

What I find interesting about the situation is that no pictures of the offensive outfits have popped up and the vagueness of how many women were actually in offensive costume.

The 93% of the chapter participated in Taco Tuesday is useless info. Taco Tuesday is not offensive. It's a completely common thing in California.

The article claims nobody was told to dress in costume but 90% of women did, of which some were offensive.

So if the chapter is around 60ish women (guesstimate based on photos I found online) then how many were offensive?

If it's such a small number, the punishment most definitely does not fit the crime. A lecture, a seminar, and extra philanthropy hours for the offending women makes sense to me. And all of that still seems stiff to me.

eta: After re-skimming the article realized, most were in costume (90%) but "some" were offensive.

Last edited by SoCalGirl; 09-19-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
What I find interesting about the situation is that no pictures of the offensive outfits have popped up and the vagueness of how many women were actually in offensive costume.

The 93% of the chapter participated in Taco Tuesday is useless info. Taco Tuesday is not offensive. It's a completely common thing in California.

The article claims nobody was told to dress in costume but some number of women did, it's implied to be a small number. Of that small number, some were offensive.

So if the chapter is around 60ish women (guesstimate based on photos I found online) then how many were in costume and how many were offensive?

If it's such a small number, the punishment most definitely does not fit the crime. A lecture, a seminar, and extra philanthropy hours for the offending women makes sense to me. And all of that still seems stiff to me.
If you stand around saying nothing when your sorority sisters show up in offensive costumes, you are part of the problem.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If you stand around saying nothing when your sorority sisters show up in offensive costumes, you are part of the problem.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:51 AM

DBB - Which also makes me wonder who brought this to anyone's attention? The way everything has avoided that makes me wonder if it was a sister. In which case I wonder why she didn't say anything to the chapter and handle it in house.

Furthermore, IMO, not saying anything does not make you part of the problem. It makes you a human living in society where we're trained from a young age to avoid confrontation and not to embarrass people.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Furthermore, IMO, not saying anything does not make you part of the problem. It makes you a human living in society where we're trained from a young age to avoid confrontation and not to embarrass people.
Unless those people are overly-sensitive minorities?

Old 09-19-2014, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Being trained from a young age to conform to societal norms about avoiding confrontation and not embarrassing people and being part of the problem are not mutually exclusive.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:15 PM

I think SoCalGirl is saying the offending sisters should have been told before anyone showed up that their outfits were offensive - a Taco Tuesday Dress Check, if you will.

What I don't get is how everyone has to dress up for everything. We went to free taco night every Thursday at the Days Inn and it never occurred to any of us to put on a serape, nor did the venue do any decorating. Isn't free or cheap food enough? Why must everything be a theme party? Aren't food, fun and friends sufficient? Is this what people do when they have too much money and time on their hands?