GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,867
0 members and 1,867 guests
No Members online

Old 02-01-2021, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Most people, especially our members, seem completely unaware of the costs of simply owning these houses, whether or not anyone lives there. I can't imagine the routine, fixed costs of those multi-million dollar mansions on SEC campuses for insurance, the mortgage, utilities, security, maybe still paying staff, etc.
Regardless of whether or not they understand the costs, the problem for many of them is that they are now paying these very high fees - for a house they have no access to at all - and still have to secure housing elsewhere.

So for the women who didn't live in, they were paying for separate housing + parlor fees, but now their "parlor fees" have skyrocketed. And for the women who were living in, they got voted out of their housing and they are now still having to pay a high fee and also secure other housing, which in many cases can end up being more expensive than living in the sorority house. And although the chapter voted for it, it doesn't necessarily mean that every member agreed. Considering there were four different options, for all we know, perhaps only 30% of members decided to close the house entirely.

It's clearly a tough situation all around, but if a student has budgeted only so much money for housing, sorority, etc., and now that cost has drastically gone up, that may affect a young woman's decision to remain a member.

Everyone is truly losing out here. I have to wonder how this might affect Greek organizations' decisions to build these multi-million dollar houses and whether it could determine at which campuses organizations colonize. As we all know, if you're going to colonize at a school with large Greek houses, you should expect to build or secure one of your own to ensure you're on equal footing and can adequately compete for new members. Could this change certain Greek organizations' expansion strategies (if it hasn't already)?

@~/~~~~
Old 02-01-2021, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

A lot of kids are having to pay for housing they couldn't use. My 2 youngest sons had to pay for their apartments all through the spring (when their university went to all virtual and they had to move back home)--that was pretty much the norm for them and for dorm students.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
A lot of kids are having to pay for housing they couldn't use. My 2 youngest sons had to pay for their apartments all through the spring (when their university went to all virtual and they had to move back home)--that was pretty much the norm for them and for dorm students.
I never implied many students didn't have to pay for housing they aren't using. The problem is having to pay for housing that isn't being used and also having to pay for housing that is being used at the same time.

Paying for housing while living at home for free is different than paying for housing nearly twice over, due to needing to be on or near campus for in-person classes. Again, some simply can't afford that.

Of course, if a sorority member couldn't afford that and all-virtual classes are still an option, they could choose to live at home for free (assuming they have family offering that option). If sorority membership is important enough for them to make that sacrifice, then perhaps they remain a member. But if in-class instruction is more important and the only way they can do that is to drop the increased housing fee for the sorority, then so be it.

We simply can't be shocked if members drop out for this reason, especially because many families are struggling financially due to the pandemic.

Again, the situation sucks all around.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-01-2021, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't mean that you did--it was just a comment.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I didn't mean that you did--it was just a comment.
OK, all good. Thought you were responding directly to my post.

@~/~~~~