GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,335
2 members and 1,333 guests
g41965, naraht

Old 08-05-2020, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Well said, Cheerio!
Old 08-05-2020, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Youth rebels because it must. I see young people quitting their greek orgs and then raising a stink to get attention for themselves, instead of working with their fellow brothers and sisters to improve the situations they perceive as "wrong" and "hurtful".

Be that friend upon whom your brother and sister greeks can rely. Live your rituals. Help your fellow greeks grow through mutual education and actions.

All people can learn, and their teachers don't need to quit on them to make their points.
Yes. I have no patience for attention hoes.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Youth rebels because it must. I see young people quitting their greek orgs and then raising a stink to get attention for themselves, instead of working with their fellow brothers and sisters to improve the situations they perceive as "wrong" and "hurtful".

Be that friend upon whom your brother and sister greeks can rely. Live your rituals. Help your fellow greeks grow through mutual education and actions.

All people can learn, and their teachers don't need to quit on them to make their points.
I'm sad to see that some are not using this opportunity to bring about change in their groups but are simply abandoning their groups.

An opinion piece from a gay Alpha Tau Omega member at Duke University who shares his experience in being welcomed and accepted by his fraternity brothers but not by the gay community at the university.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...greek-life-ato

Quote:
I am not saying the Greek system is without its faults. Anyone can see it has many, but we are actively working towards righting those wrongs. The current movement to abolish the Greek life system at Duke fails to consider people like me: people who are welcomed into a community with open arms and embraced for who we are, including our differences. I have found my home at Duke when other communities denied my identity. What I am asking is to consider and not discredit the positive experiences minorities have found within the Greek system, or other areas of campus traditionally thought of as homophobic, racist, etc. I speak only on my experiences, but I also know I am not the only one. Quieting voices like mine perpetuates these intolerances by pigeonholing minorities into the stereotypes accepted by society. I am gay and I am damn proud of it, regardless of how many times I will be told I am not because I do not conform. And if my community, my safe space, where I feel I like I finally belong, is with my brothers, is that so wrong?

Last edited by TLLK; 08-05-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Many of those bailing are doing so because the leaders of their orgs are either not listening or not letting the collegiates know they are being heard. Why pay thousands of dollars to be ignored or silenced?

Bottom line is my sister pledged and then dropped in ‘83 because she saw racism, my university had 1 black IFC member at that time, and when one of my chapter sisters dated his roommate (also black) it was a scandal. It’s almost FORTY YEARS later and we’re still having this conversation. That right there says things haven’t progressed as they should have.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
SCANDAL?! We had plenty of women in my NPC chapter date black men. That's ridiculous that it would be scandalous TODAY!
Old 08-06-2020, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
Many of those bailing are doing so because the leaders of their orgs are either not listening or not letting the collegiates know they are being heard. Why pay thousands of dollars to be ignored or silenced?

Bottom line is my sister pledged and then dropped in ‘83 because she saw racism, my university had 1 black IFC member at that time, and when one of my chapter sisters dated his roommate (also black) it was a scandal. It’s almost FORTY YEARS later and we’re still having this conversation. That right there says things haven’t progressed as they should have.

I'm sorry that was your sister's experience during her college years, but I can attest that 40 years ago that wasn't the situation at my SoCal university. Yes the majority of the members were white however there were African American, Hispanic, Asian and biracial members in our NPC sororities and IFC fraternities. So interracial dating was not unheard of then.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
SCANDAL?! We had plenty of women in my NPC chapter date black men. That's ridiculous that it would be scandalous TODAY!
Interracial dating is no longer scandalous, I meant we’re still having the inclusion issues/conversations 40 yrs later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I'm sorry that was your sister's experience during her college years, but I can attest that 40 years ago that wasn't the situation at my SoCal university. Yes the majority of the members were white however there were African American, Hispanic, Asian and biracial members in our NPC sororities and IFC fraternities. So interracial dating was not unheard of then.
Gotta love Texas-
Old 08-07-2020, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
Interracial dating is no longer scandalous, I meant we’re still having the inclusion issues/conversations 40 yrs later.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And people are still fighting wars somewhere in the world because humans can and do fail even after thousands of years of destruction.

If todays college students haven't been taught 'inclusion' before their introduction to campus, there are opportunities for them to learn both in college and beyond about the subject. Whether said students eventually choose to follow an inclusive path is entirely up to them, because the USA has no Indoctrination Camps to make being an Inclusive Person mandatory.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Yikes.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I've massively pulled back from my alum involvement when concerns have fallen on deaf ears, have gone unanswered, or have been looked down upon. My friendships remain, but there's only so much I can do as an individual alum, or with small groups of likeminded alums.
For my entire undergrad career, we were one of two NPC chapters on campus who had any nonwhite members. This was in the 2000's...so not like it was that long ago. I'm with you - progress has been slow, and that can be frustrating to so many, especially those who don't want to be complicit.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
ASA is officially on the Legacy Death Boat!!

https://www.alphasigmaalpha.org/news...y-on-legacies/

Ruuuuuuush, exciting and new....come aboard, we've been expecting youuuuuu...

p a w e a since 1899
Old 02-01-2021, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Pi Phi changed course...in August 2020 they said they would leave legacy policies up to the chapters to decide how they wanted to proceed with legacies. Now they have switch-changed and decided that not only are they getting rid of any legacy policy and/or chapter notification of a legacy...they're also eliminating the use of any RIF/Rec/Letter of support to any chapter.

https://www.pibetaphi.org/recruitmen...Ldb1&_zl=le7O7
Old 02-01-2021, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like they haven't voted on it yet but it will results in a biiig money loss.

Here's where i see it hurting chapters. Several of us have worked hard to get fantastic rural girls noticed at big schools with competitive rushes. If this passes, chapters won't be accepting letters of recommendation, which were getting these girls noticed. Now, the girls who are most likely to get in will be the girls they knew ahead of time. As always.

Last edited by carnation; 02-01-2021 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Looks like they haven't voted on it yet but it will results in a biiig money loss.

Here's where i see it hurting chapters. Several of us have worked hard to get fantastic rural girls noticed at big schools with competitive rushes. If this passes, chapters won't be accepting letters of recommendation, which were getting these girls noticed. Now, the girls who are most likely to get in will be the girls they knew ahead of time. As always.
Couldn't agree more. Strong recruiting chapters know people, and will ONLY pull from those cities where their people are from. Before they would take a look at the girls from smaller towns that have recs. How will those girls get noticed in these huge chapters?

Weaker recruiting chapters won't have a compass of sorts (RIF/Rec/Letter of Support) to even know who to look out for. I think those chapters will be the ones hurt most by this, which is a shame.

If I understood it correctly, the legacy policy will change now without the need for vote at convention. It's the RIF/Alumnae support stuff that has to go before a vote?