GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,400
0 members and 1,400 guests
No Members online

Old 05-24-2019, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Chapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoeofDenmark View Post
The Alpha chapter of FIJI at Washington and Jefferson College has been closed down. Students got an email about it this morning. Due to drug abuse, underage drinking, hazing(?), and the fact that they had been in trouble for a while. I am unsure if it has been announced nationally but it is known throughout the campus’ Greek system.
So sorry to hear this for the thousands of FIJIs, if this is their Alpha chapter. I sincerely hope that they can make some changes and come back in the future. It has been done at some of the legacy chapters at Pitt that lost recognition for similar problems, so don't give up hope. Get to work and save your Alpha chapter!!
Old 05-28-2019, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

From their Facebook page: We’re excited to announce a new Alpha Chi Omega chapter is coming! In Fall 2020, Alpha Chi Omega will be establishing a chapter at The University of Mississippi - Ole Miss! We can’t wait to join the Ole Miss Panhellenic community!

Seeking the sweet sisters of Alpha Kappa Phi Agonian (Kappa Chapter)
Old 05-28-2019, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingkappa View Post
From their Facebook page: We’re excited to announce a new Alpha Chi Omega chapter is coming! In Fall 2020, Alpha Chi Omega will be establishing a chapter at The University of Mississippi - Ole Miss! We can’t wait to join the Ole Miss Panhellenic community!
This has already been discussed and noted on the first page on 5/22. NPC women keep track of these things.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Alpha Epsilon was apparently inactive at the University of North Alabama for at least part of this last academic year (they were not on either the Fall '18 or Spring '19 grade reports). The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life webpage says they are reactivating this fall. Also, IFC will be welcoming Alpha Sigma Phi in 2021 and Kappa Alpha Order in 2023. These are in addition to IFC also currently having a colony of Tau Kappa Epsilon.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:39 AM

Sigma Alpha Mu has been closed at the University of Rochester(NY). Closure is due to RMF.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-07-2019, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

wow, AS MUCH AS we all HATE TO SEE THINGS, it is because of STUPIDITY! Right or wrong?

My Chapter got on suspension for a year and I was livid, but guess what, I could do nothing about it!

Fought the good fight with IHQ and raising Hell with Chapter. Finally ONE YEAR later back in good standing and got it together. Hope they have good memories of what happened! Guess it is the only way to learn?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-08-2019, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Pi Kappa Phi has been closed until 2023 at LSU due to hazing. The State of Louisiana is now working to tighten laws and regulations to combat hazing by fraternities.

Another fraternity at LSU closed
Old 06-13-2019, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Kappa Tau 2019-20 Expansion update: Per our National Website.

Fall' 19: University of Delaware (Recharter Alpha Gamma)
Fall '19: University of Tennessee-Martin (Recharter of Delta Upsilon)

BTW: Our CEO informed Phi Tau volunteers that beginning with the 2020-21 school year, we will colonize at least 9 institutions each academic school year.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Delta Delta announced the suspension of its Phi Rho chapter at the University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA) effective April 30, 2019.

The suspension is for a minimum of four years, and was due to "several years of declining membership numbers, which has led to an inability to sustain chapter operations,” according to the national's press release. Actives who were not graduating have been converted to unaffiliated college members.

“Tri Delta has enjoyed 60 years as a part of the Pacific community. We are working with our loyal alumnae and the university to ensure a successful return to full operations at Pacific so that future generations of Tri Deltas may engage in our sisterhood, dedicated to helping women live, learn and lead – with Purpose – for a lifetime.” -- President Kimberlee Di Fede Sullivan.

Phi Rho was established in 1959. Gamma Theta (UC Santa Barbara), established in 1987, was suspended this month -- it had been announced late last year, also for a minimum of four years, and for the same reason. Likewise Theta Pi (UCLA), established in the 1950s, suspended in 2017, and Epsilon Epsilon (California Polytechnic at San Luis Obispo), which had a very short run, established in 2005 and inactive since 2011.

It is to be hoped that after the equivalent of wandering for forty years in the wilderness, or in this case for four years each, enough for an entire generation of undergraduates to enter graduate and leave, the UCLA, UCSB, and UoP chapters will be reactivated, because they were all victims of the reputational/ranking death-spiral, didn't do anything wrong, and closed down on good terms with their respective university administrations--may Cal Poly SLO make a comeback someday as well.

Why this has been going on in California lately is a subject to ponder (during spare time!). Cal Poly, not a huge campus, still manages to support 11 NPC chapters. Mighty UCLA has 13, and UCSB (sand in their shoes, sunlight in their hair, life's a beach) has 8. Little University of the Pacific in the perma-struggling city of Stockton still has 3. So it's not like no women are interested in Greek life. But these four Cali chapters all bit the dust, alas, for now.

Last edited by Polyglot; 06-18-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: grammar and additions
Old 06-27-2019, 04:14 AM
GreekChat Member

The Phi Mu chapter at Baldwin Wallace University (Ohio) has been closed due to declining membership numbers.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
The Phi Mu chapter at Baldwin Wallace University (Ohio) has been closed due to declining membership numbers.
Is there a date on this? I hope not now in the middle of summer.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I posted this closure in the 2018-19 Colonies/Expansions/Charters/Closures.
Closure occurred in May 2019.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
I posted this closure in the 2018-19 Colonies/Expansions/Charters/Closures.
Closure occurred in May 2019.
According to the Phi Mu officer who told me, this was only just finalized.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Such a weird article and six months late, but...

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/40...ixv7XH0hRspSUk

Quote:
Gannon University Sorority Temporarily Suspended for Alcohol Violation

The Epsilon Delta Chapter of Tri Sigma was handed down a one-semester suspension by the sorority's National Board in January.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-10-2019, 01:33 PM

Pi Kappa Phi has been closed at the University of Maryland.

https://dbknews.com/2019/07/02/umd-p...ed-greek-life/

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)