GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,418
2 members and 1,416 guests
bmilesqtivaov13, naraht

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2020, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

"Woke"

This has been on my mind for some months now, and I haven't really figured out the most effective way to convey what I need to say. So I hope I am granted some grace if what I am saying is clunky or not clear.

I've noticed on GC the use of the word "woke" to essentialy describe a particular kind of white ally of movements of racial justice.

First, I want to provide a commonly accepted definition of the word "woke" prior to this moment:

"...political term of African American origin, refers to a perceived awareness of issues concerning social justice and racial justice."

There are specific songs, plays, works of art, etc, which use this word--all black art.

When I hear "woke" as a black man, I think of the black experience--my black experience--and my awakening, be it the deepening of my awareness of racial injustice and systemic racism, or my awarness of the issues facing black women or black transwomen.

Seeing the word "woke" used to describe the white people in your organizations that you disagree with... that feels really uncomfortable for me. 10 percent of that is that you're using a word from the African American tradition and you are not African American. 90 percent of that is that you're using a word from the African American tradition and turning it into a slur.

Listen, if there are white people in your organizations calling themselves "woke," they should not be. It grates my ears as much as it does yours. But to take it to the next level and call those people "woke" or even "fake woke" sounds, to me, a black person, like something I hope you're not intending.

Because what I am hearing when you type that is, at best "I am not open to learning about a point of view which differs from mine because I am holding onto my beliefs at all costs." And at worst, honestly? I am hearing you say "N***** lover."

Most of you reading this will not care. Some of you will be offended that I told you how I receive the words that you say. It is what it is. At least I've said it.

But know that because this is how you've decided to show up on GC, this is why I'm averse to participating in a Zoom call with you to celebrate GC's anniversary.