GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,823
2 members and 1,821 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 02-22-2007, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BootyKBG
What has been your biggest difficulty as an Up and Coming GLO?

Hi all,

I'm just curious about the biggest problems you've faced as an Up and Coming GLO. We've run into some interesting problems by not being a huge Panhell sorority, so I'm curious if anyone else has had similar situations, or if there are other common situations Up and Comings have faced. Spill!!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratqueer View Post
YEAH!! Your name is BOOTY!! It's about time I found someone that parties!!
Sigma Alpha Betta gamma pi pi 4 life!!
Jeez....obviously missing the whole point......

Anyone have anything thoughtful to say on the topic??
Old 02-27-2007, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootyKBG View Post
Jeez....obviously missing the whole point......

Anyone have anything thoughtful to say on the topic??
Sorry about that. That post has been deleted.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Megahurtz
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm just curious about the biggest problems you've faced as an Up and Coming GLO. We've run into some interesting problems by not being a huge Panhell sorority, so I'm curious if anyone else has had similar situations, or if there are other common situations Up and Comings have faced. Spill!!
We have run into some interesting "problems" as well. I am sure our two organizations are kindred spirits in some of the issues we deal as neither or us is a PanHellenic organizations.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

We have the same problem you do! Compeltely overshadowed by NPC!

Not to mention we're only pulling members from those w/"technical" majors (architecture, engineering, mathematics, and the sciences)

I think one of our big problems though is that no one knows our name/that we exist, etc. When people find out about us they are generally excited b/c they are looking for something like us, but didn't know anything like us existed!
Old 06-19-2007, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

The Biggest problem we have faced as an Independent BGLO is recruitment. we are overshadowed by the members of the NPHC. And the fact that most individuals are afraid to join something that they do not know much of.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:22 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
what ive noticed is that some of the smaller GLO's feel defensive towards the larger/more well known GLO's. there are dozens of threads on here that express how the larger ones at times feel that those of us who chose a smaller org were rejected by them.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

So once you've realized the biggest problem...

What has your organization done to remedy it?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZChi4Life View Post
What has your organization done to remedy it?
Good question! KBG has placed a lot of emphasis on "quality not quantity" since most of our chapters are smaller and nationals doesn't place quotas or number expectations on the chapters (well, except the minimum of ten members). This promotes real sisterhood and actually KNOWING your sisters, and helps the members not become cookie-cutter sorority girls. We promote individuality of the chapters as well. The chapters have done well once established on campus, we're just still working out the issues of being recognized as a legit national sorority especially for expansion.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Good question! KBG has placed a lot of emphasis on "quality not quantity" since most of our chapters are smaller and nationals doesn't place quotas or number expectations on the chapters (well, except the minimum of ten members). This promotes real sisterhood and actually KNOWING your sisters, and helps the members not become cookie-cutter sorority girls. We promote individuality of the chapters as well. The chapters have done well once established on campus, we're just still working out the issues of being recognized as a legit national sorority especially for expansion.
I love this! I'm working to start a chapter at my university- how do you find people who choose KBG over Panhel?
Old 12-21-2017, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarose View Post
I love this! I'm working to start a chapter at my university- how do you find people who choose KBG over Panhel?
I would say, that is the same question that all NPC groups must ask themselves. How do you get a pnm to select ABC over XYZ? You have to offer something that the women are looking for that separates you from the other options. Collegians are busy and have limited resources of time and money. There are literally hundreds of campus organizations that they can join. It shouldn't be a specific question of how do you get members to choose an unaffiliated group over a Panhel group. It should be how do we differentiate our offering from every other club on campus. I would think especially for a sorority focused on a particular major, this would be easy. There is a reason that people join business fraternities over social fraternities. You need to find members who are looking for what you specialize in.

At Penn State, for example, they have 3 Associate members of Panhellenic. These three sororities are not NPC members but are permitted to participate in formal recruitment. They have individual focus, such as Agriculture or Engineering, etc. The women that choose to join these organizations are probably seeking mentors or a smaller chapter size, etc.

Ask your existing members what inspired them to join. Then, take that and market it to others who are interested in what makes your group special.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

My cousin's daughter is an alumna of the KBG chapter at Wake Forest university, but I have not had the opportunity to chat with her about their experience among the other NPC groups.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

That chapter was formed from ex-Pi Phis when nationals jerked the charter.