GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,207
2 members and 2,205 guests
John, Low D Flat

Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

i think it's a locational thing on my google *shrug*
Old 09-25-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Kates View Post
The words "Kappa Alpha Theta" and "Theta," our Greek letters, and the coat of arms are registered trademarks of Kappa Alpha Theta Fraternity.
I can understand the trademarking of the words "Kappa Alpha Theta" together. But I'd be surprised if any group could trademark a particular Greek letter, any more than I could trademark the Latin/Roman letter L or the Hebrew letter א.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
The cool thing is that I Google "Theta" and the Kappa Alpha Theta website is the first result.
Same here. I'd think any GLO chapter (local or national) with the letter Theta in its name, at a campus where a Kappa Alpha Theta chapter exists, would defer to Kappa Alpha Theta and not refer to itself as "Theta" as that is Kappa Alpha Theta's internationally recognized "shorthand" name.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
I can understand the trademarking of the words "Kappa Alpha Theta" together. But I'd be surprised if any group could trademark a particular Greek letter, any more than I could trademark the Latin/Roman letter L or the Hebrew letter א.
She is not talking about the Greek letter or the use of the word "theta."

She is talking about the use of the nickname (if that's appropriate) "Thetas" in particular contexts. For instance, if a company was advertising something using "Thetas" with the intent to make people (who know about such things) think Kappa Alpha Theta is involved, there could be an issue.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
I could be misunderstanding you here, but the word "Theta" is, in fact, trademarked by Kappa Alpha Theta.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...04:ttige2.2.37

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 AM

That's as far as actually putting it on things. I've never seen TPA sisters or sisters of any local wearing shirts that say only "Theta" on them, as Kappa Alpha Theta sisters often do.

What a group is called in day to day practice is a different matter altogether. Like I said, you can holler until you're blue in the face, and TPA at some campi will still be referred to as "Theta"...even if the sisters themselves don't use it.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
What a group is called in day to day practice is a different matter altogether. Like I said, you can holler until you're blue in the face, and TPA at some campi will still be referred to as "Theta"...even if the sisters themselves don't use it.
Of course this is true. However, as is the case with any trademark, Kappa Alpha Theta is within its rights to require TPA to stop allowing its chapters to refer to themselves as "Theta" or face legal action, if any are doing this. Like you said, though, people are going to say what they want even if the members do not refer to themselves as such.

I'm not debating for or against the practice, I'm really just responding to what I (perhaps mistakenly) thought aephi alum was getting at.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Alpha Theta are only able to require anyone to no longer use the word Theta on t-shirts, or stationery or the like. They only have the trade mark registered in 2 classes. Other companies/organisations have the word Theta, and various logo combinations of Theta in other classes.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You could porbably trade mark both of those if you wanted to say; apply them as a brand name to clothing, or drugs, start a magazine named א

You would, however, be required to allow other companies that are already using them for other things to continue using them. It is also less likely that they would be approved and not challenged by other groups who are currently using them
Old 09-26-2011, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElieM View Post
i think it's a locational thing on my google *shrug*
I wanted to play along, so I googled Theta (needless to say, not a lot of KAT or otherwise chapters in the Middle East).
1-8th letter (Wikipedia)
2-Theta rhythm (Wikipedia)
3-Theta Healing
4-Theta.org/za
Interestingly, #20 was the Theta chapter of DG, at the University of Indiana, but still no sign of Kappa Alpha Theta. On the 21-30 page, I got a local at Dartmouth and a chapter website of Theta Xi. On page 4 I finally got a chapter website for Kappa Alpha Theta at Oregon State. But still nothing on the national website.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I guess Kappa Alpha Theta aren't concentrating on having their name maximised on search engines in the Middle East.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I wanted to play along, so I googled Theta (needless to say, not a lot of KAT or otherwise chapters in the Middle East).
1-8th letter (Wikipedia)
2-Theta rhythm (Wikipedia)
3-Theta Healing
4-Theta.org/za
Interestingly, #20 was the Theta chapter of DG, at the University of Indiana, but still no sign of Kappa Alpha Theta. On the 21-30 page, I got a local at Dartmouth and a chapter website of Theta Xi. On page 4 I finally got a chapter website for Kappa Alpha Theta at Oregon State. But still nothing on the national website.
I played along, too. Here are my results from page one:
Google.
1. Alpha Kappa Theta (national)
2. Eighth letter of the Greek Alphabet
3. Theta rhythm
4. Theta definition
5. A company with amps and processors for stereos
6. Alpha Kappa Theta at University of Chicago
7. A blog

Yahoo.
1. Eighth letter of the Greek alphabet
2. Theta rhythm
3. Amp & processor stereo company
4. Alpha Kappa Theta (national)
5. Someone's myspace for a band
6. Delta Sigma Theta sorority, Inc.
7. Theta Theta alumni chapter of Kappa Sigma
Old 09-26-2011, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

this is a fun game

I 'bing'ed Theta. KATh came up as the 5th entry on the second page - and now I am interested in the Theta Foundation -
A scientific and not-for-profit organisation, promoting mathematical knowledge, based in Romania.
www.theta.ro

Last edited by ElieM; 09-26-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:17 AM
GreekChat Member

see what semi-random googling (or binging I guess) can do for you?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Swagbucks searching gave me
Healing
Healing
Theta Chi fraternity
Healing
Healing
Rhythm
Delta Sigma Theta
Healing
Theta Theta alumni chapter of Kappa Sigma
Healing
Healing
Kappa Alpha Theta's national website was on page 2.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That's as far as actually putting it on things. I've never seen TPA sisters or sisters of any local wearing shirts that say only "Theta" on them, as Kappa Alpha Theta sisters often do.

It's funny you mention TPA. A few months back, I let an intern use my office while I was out. When I returned, she said, "That's cool you are a Phi Mu" (I have plaques and an NPC poster up)--"I'm a Theta." I said, "Where were you a Kappa Alpha Theta?" She looked at me and said, "No. I'm a Theta Phi Alpha from XYZ University." I was perplexed because I've never heard anyone refer to TPA as Theta.