GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,524
0 members and 2,524 guests
No Members online

Old 03-22-2006, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Advice Needed...

I prefer not to say what school or GLOs I will be talking about simply because I know members of GC in real life, I would not want to offend or upset anyone.

I'll give a little backgroud first. I am going to be a first semester Junior this fall and I have been invited to a late rush, tomorrow night. The GLO that I would be rushing is late because they took some time getting their reactivation papers in this semester. I am also a very active student on my campus, a student leader in 2 organizations, and I have been involved in many orgs over the past two years. I have many good friends, and a good head on my shoulders.

My first semester at school, I was invited to rush the only NPC on our campus by a girl I know from home. As a freshman, I was thrilled to see a familiar face and she assured me that I would love the other sisters, so I attended rush and got a bid. She was right, I really liked a lot of the girls. But by my second week as a pledge (at our school we still use rush, pledge, and pledge moms), I was very unsure. I couldn't see myself natually befriending these girls and there were a lot of things I was uncomfortable with. So, much to their dismay, I decided to not finish my pledge process. I am still friends with some of the girls, but I know I was not right for them, and they are not right for me. I think I made a responsible decision.

A year later, I was invited to rush a professional group (local, non-NPC) on campus by my mentor. I attended the first night to see what they were all about (I made the mistake of not doing enough research the first time around) but I was informed that I could not pledge another group for a calendar year (Greek Council rules) and I was cut. I was fine with this decision because honestly, the group was not for me. I was just too large and would limit me in other involvement because of time restraints.

So now I am being courted by a local that consists of many of my friends. It's a very small group, so small that they are struggling to stay active. I believe in the work they do and their values and I honestly wish I had found them freshman year. So rush is tomorrow night and I've decided to attend.

My question is, am I doing the right thing? A lot of people think that once you begin pledging, you cannot join another GLO, even if you were never initiated. I can understand that, but I don't think it's fair if you made a rational, responsible decision. Also, some say that Junior year is too late, but I feel like I still have time to offer a lot, especially with this group. I guess I'm just looking for some guidance.

Sorry for the lengthy post and thank you for sticking with me.

Last edited by december; 03-22-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-22-2006, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I rushed Junior year, and while I wish I had rushed sooner, I couldn't be happier. I also happened to get my first choice! (Go me!) So if you feel a connection and you really like this group then go for it. Your intentions seem good and you had valid reasons for the decisions you've made in the past, why should you discourage yourself from trying for something you want? I'm assuming that since many of them are friends, that they know you pledged elsewhere and didn't quite fit in and apparently they don't seem to mind. NEVER sell yourself short.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PhiMuAmberkins
I PM'd you...but I also completely agree with this : ^
Old 03-22-2006, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BabyPiNK_FL NEVER sell yourself short. [/B]
Thanks for your support! This is something I feel really strongly about and I'm glad to hear I'm not totally out of line.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:49 PM

You're definitely doing the right thing. The wrong thing would have been if you initiated into a group you didn't feel comfy with and making them and you miserable.

You sound like you can really give a lot to this group. Best of luck!!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I rushed as a ............drum roll please.......SENIOR!! So it's never to late! There is always something to offer and to bring to the table. And as a later rusher I am so pleased to hear that you are considering giving another glo a chance.

The "struggling" to stay active part - the reason that chapter is active is b/c of strong girls like you who thrive to keep it active. If you pledge this group there is a strong chance others will see you and follow you. Suddenly the chapter is not struggling anymore. ****this happened in my service sorority - we doubled our size in a 1 to 36 beautiful girls****.

Please keep us posted!
Old 03-23-2006, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about your campus, it seems to be a little more strict on rushing, being that they have the rule you can't pledge ANY other GLO for a year if you've accepted a bid - but by NPC standards, you could start pledging a new sorority every year, and as long as you don't initiate, you're still eligible to drop and join a different one. IT'S REALLY NOT A GOOD IDEA, I wouldn't try it. Besides, I think most girls would stop getting bids after about the second time they de-pledged.
[/sidetrack]

I agree with you that you made a responisble decision not to stay with the other group, and unless the girls in the org you're looking at pledging are not comfortable with the fact you started pledging another group, who cares if the other groups on campus have a problem with it...it's no one's business but yours and the org you would be pledging.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

having to wait one calendar year after accepting a bid and then depledging is an npc rule.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta
having to wait one calendar year after accepting a bid and then depledging is an npc rule.
The OP said her Greek Council had the 1 year rule:

Quote:
Originally posted by december
I was informed that I could not pledge another group for a calendar year (Greek Council rules) and I was cut.
It does seem weird though, as unless a group's bylaws prevent it, that she couldn't pledge a Professional group at that time, as technically you could pledge an NPC (social), a professional, a service and a multicultural all together, as long as the group's bylaws allow you to join groups of a different "purpose". Although talk about GLO burnout!!!
Old 03-23-2006, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
technically you could pledge an NPC (social), a professional, a service and a multicultural all together, as long as the group's bylaws allow you to join groups of a different "purpose". [/B]
While I can only speak directly for my organization, I do have some vague familiarity with other multicultural organizations, and I believe the rule is similar if not the same. Dual membership in a professional and/or service organization is allowed, dual membership in a NPC and a multicultural organization is NOT allowed.

Can any other multicultural sorority women speak to this?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ch2tf
While I can only speak directly for my organization, I do have some vague familiarity with other multicultural organizations, and I believe the rule is similar if not the same. Dual membership in a professional and/or service organization is allowed, dual membership in a NPC and a multicultural organization is NOT allowed.

Can any other multicultural sorority women speak to this?
I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking - I didn't mean specifically multicultural. What I meant to say was NPHC, Jewish, Multicultural, Hispanic, etc. I'm sure many orgs have no NPC rules, but I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you could find one that doesn't. Once again, I apologize. I know terminology is a huge thing when it comes to specific orgs.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like you have your priorities in order, you're not afraid of hard work and you want to make a difference... and you have a sorority (made up of your friends-- big plus!) who is courting you -- GO FOR IT!

Have a great time at their recruitment and let us know how it works out. I applaud you for going with your heart and good sense in the past, and I hope these things will continue to guide you in your choices in life-- in pursuit of sorority membership and in everything you endeavor!

Good luck!

/my post is completely sincere, but in re-reading it, don't I sound like Paula Abdul after an Idol performance?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Update!

Rush went well, it was shorter than I had pictured. There were only 2 of us (rushees) but I went to the second session of the day. We introduced ourselves and answered some questions. I felt much more at ease this time. We were laughing and joking, exhanging advice. I guess I'll wait in see what happens, as I don't kow what their process is like.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Besides, I think most girls would stop getting bids after about the second time they de-pledged.
[/sidetrack]
I think she only pledged the NPC freshman year; she merely went to the informational night of the second group's recruitment.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LightBulb
I think she only pledged the NPC freshman year; she merely went to the informational night of the second group's recruitment.
I wasn't speaking of her, I was speaking in general.