GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,212
2 members and 1,210 guests
PGD-GRAD, Titchou

Old 01-14-2004, 01:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Good luck from a fellow Virginian!
Old 01-15-2004, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandelion
Thanks for all the words of support guys!

Now I have a question..
This thread has got me wondering if I've really messed up my rush by posting on here. But, I figure anything thats been said up to this point is a little too late to change and be like 'oops, I never said that'.

I wonder what could be taken the wrong way, but at the same time, I was being completely honest, sooooo if it hurts me, then maybe I just don't fit into their ideals in the first place. But, in the end, I'm coming into this with an open mind, so why wouldn't they? We can really only wait and see.

Its way too early for all this thinking.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:08 AM

Manda, don't worry about all that now. Just go forward with enthusiasm, an open mind, comfortable shoes, and tact when needed! Good luck!
Old 01-15-2004, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
I think you're fine. I think it's alright to post what chapters there are, and where you go to school, but I do agree that you should use discretion when talking about the individual groups. The use of code names has been great. And in all cases (not just GC rush threads), try and be positive. If you absolutely hated a house, it's as simple as, "I wasn't really comfortable at orange".

I think more people just need to use tact and common sense. You, however, are doing fine.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 01-15-2004, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Astro, well said!

Don't worry about it, Mandy.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

mandy

if you choose to post during actual recruitment, use a code system for each sorority that has no relationship to the sorority. for instance don't name zta the turquoise or grey house & don't list delta zeta as the turtles(it has been done, believe it or not!)
best wishes that you have tons of fun and find your home! lisa
Old 01-15-2004, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Back from Convocation

Final registration is over!!!
I'm soooo excited!! There are about 180 girls rushing and about 12 in my group

Tomorrow night my rush group is meeting for dinner, and we have two Rho Deltas who are soo sweet!

Some things that happened tonight:
-Got the rules. (Dry Rush, No Dirty Rushing)
-Saw a CUTE song and dance. (The Rho Deltas sang "I love being greek" to the tune of "I love Rock and Roll")
-Got my pin, got my schedule!!

Also, and most importantly, Silence begins tonight. That means no contact or conversation between me and any members or alumni of a sorority except during recruitment events. Although its unlikely that this would be a huge deal, I don't want to hurt my chances.

So, I have to request that no one PM me, and maybe even that no one replies in my thread until Rush is over. That may be a bit extreme though. I know yall know how to act though, I'm not worried about any *cough*join-my-sorority*cough* comments.

But, I will update whenever there is something to update about, and I really appreciate the support you guys have shown me

Last edited by Mandelion; 01-15-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Just so you know, a PNM can't really get in trouble for violating silence. It is a rule for the sororities, and they explain it to PNM's so that their behavior doesn't seem rude.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

1 Day Down

Open Houses are over!!!!
And heres the play by play action (with code names)...

Tonight at 10: Post Office, I can go back to 6 groups tomorrow.

Aries: These girls are so energetic and bubbly. They were easy to talk to and there were easy transitions between people as they stopped by to say hello. Overall, they were all really sweet, really pretty, and really fun.

Leo: This group was a lot quieter and more down to earth, but just as sweet. A couple of girls looked like they didn't really like being there, but it was still early, so who knows. They talked a lot about their sisterhood and they were probably the most diverse, but close group of girls I met.

Pices: I felt the most comfortable with this group by far, even though I didn't know many people they seemed genuinely interested in me. Their answers to my questions were very nice because it didn't sound like a spiel, but their own opinion. They also had a really cute theme.

Capricorn: These girls were all really nice and very enthusiastic about their sorority, but they seemed a little out of my reach to be honest. Another really cute theme. Probably the most energetic. They were a little harder to talk to than most.

Sagittarius: I knew a lot of these girls, and a lot of them came to say hello which was really nice. They were easy to talk to, and another really down to earth group. My greeter made sure I saw all the tables, they seemed really proud of their accomplishments.

Aquarius: Very nice girls, and probably the most refined and poised. I met sooo many girls because they just kept coming and going, they had really cute cheers at the beginning. We talked a lot about their philanthropy.

Virgo: I like this group a lot in general, but they were a bit hard to talk to. The biggest difference was that they were so professional, and eveyrthing was very coreographed and rehearsed. Impressive, but I hope to get to know them better as rush goes on.

I've changed so much as far as my opinions now, I never realized how unique and cool all the sororities are here.
Overall, a good first day

Last edited by Mandelion; 01-17-2004 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Woo hoo! Good luck and can't wait to hear about the invites and the next round!
Old 01-17-2004, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah, it sounds like you had a blast....

I can't wait to hear about your invited.

Chris
Old 01-17-2004, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Manda, GC is probably the MOST panhellenically minded community you'll ever see! And if "rush silence" applied to the internet, GC would have to shut down for around 4 weeks twice a year to meet every school's formal rush & informal rush schedules.

That said, great to hear you had such a good time. I have some questions though....

(1) What do you want out of a sorority? I'm just curious -- some girls join to meet other girls, some girls want the tradition, some want the additional help with school, some want a more robust social life. There's as many reasons as there are sorority members, I think.

(2) Did you have a favorite sorority in mind going into rush?

(3) Have any of the sororities surprised you so far?

(4) Any theories yet on which houses your Rho Deltas are from?

(5) What did you mean by saying the one group was "out of your reach"? The only meaning I could figure out is that you felt like the girls wouldn't list you for their return parties. Is that what you meant?
Old 01-17-2004, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu

(1) What do you want out of a sorority? I'm just curious -- some girls join to meet other girls, some girls want the tradition, some want the additional help with school, some want a more robust social life. There's as many reasons as there are sorority members, I think.

(2) Did you have a favorite sorority in mind going into rush?

(3) Have any of the sororities surprised you so far?

(4) Any theories yet on which houses your Rho Deltas are from?

(5) What did you mean by saying the one group was "out of your reach"? The only meaning I could figure out is that you felt like the girls wouldn't list you for their return parties. Is that what you meant? [/B]
Hey ,

1. A little of everything (philanthropy, tradition, social). BUT, I was initially interested in the unity of it and how its such a friendly, close-knit atmosphere.

2. Coming in I was a little partial to DZ and ZTA, but I'm trying to be really open-minded and I've been suprised a lot today...

3....Such as with AST, I knew the least about them coming in, but they are a really awesome group of girls, they were a nice suprise.

4. My Rho Deltas LOVE that game, they have us write down what sororities we think they're from every time we meet with them. I'm thinking...ASA and ZTA, but a lot of people are saying DZ and Tri-Sig too. They sit and giggle at the results.

5. I don't necessarily think they'll cut me, but I meant that I can adapt to a group of girls in general, but with this group it seems like they're all very different from me. So, its a bit unlikely that I would be able to mesh with them as closely as with some of the other groups. I didn't mean it like they're too good for me, just different, but still in a good way.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

mandy...
you just keep going and smiling...
everything should end up well.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

*UPDATE*

I was dropped from Capricorn, but invited to the other 6 groups for tomorrow (Waters/Philanthropy).

This really couldn't have worked out better, Capricorn was the one I eventually decided on dropping, if I had to ^_^.

I'm happy with the results. I'll check back tomorrow.