GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,316
5 members and 1,311 guests
aaexeyttsa3383, Cookiez17, g41965, Xidelt

Old 01-19-2004, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ISUKappa
Creepy? Not really. It's not any different than looking at a composite of a chapter and doing the same thing. It may be appearance-based, but that's often what attracts us to someone in the first place. Now, if it were some weird 85-year-old guy a la Blue in Old School that was saying "fix me up with your sister", that I would find creepy!

But we don't hand out (or SELL) our composites on the street. I'm just picturing some XYZ frat daddy buying the rush booklet and being like "Oh Caitlin from Mobile in Pi Phi is pretty hot, I'll have to go to our swap with them...oh eew Tri Delta took some dogs this year, we'll be blowing them off...Oh! Look at this one in Kappa. I better call that girl from Kappa I met freshman year and make sure she doesn't still hate me so she can hook me up with this hotty." I'd think it was so creepy if a guy came up to me at a party or swap or whatever and was like "Hey, you're Kathleen from Suburb, right?" I'd be like "WTF? How do you know that?"
Old 01-19-2004, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think the guys let just anybody buy them. I can see your point, I guess it just wouldn't bother me! And, unfortunately, some guys are exactly how you described. Those are the ones you just ignore!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
But we don't hand out (or SELL) our composites on the street. I'm just picturing some XYZ frat daddy buying the rush booklet and being like "Oh Caitlin from Mobile in Pi Phi is pretty hot, I'll have to go to our swap with them...oh eew Tri Delta took some dogs this year, we'll be blowing them off...Oh! Look at this one in Kappa. I better call that girl from Kappa I met freshman year and make sure she doesn't still hate me so she can hook me up with this hotty." I'd think it was so creepy if a guy came up to me at a party or swap or whatever and was like "Hey, you're Kathleen from Suburb, right?" I'd be like "WTF? How do you know that?"
Kath, I think you're just mad because when creepy fratties start hitting on you and you tell them your name is Tiffany, they'll be like, "No, you're Kathleen. Don't lie to me. I saw you in the pledge book."

Foiled!

Anyway I think the idea of printing pledge's pictures in book and selling them is not such a good one today, but for the time that it was in, I don't think it was such a big deal.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, that jolted my memory--when the guys did it on our campus, the girls were the ones that supplied the info, so if they didn't want to give out personal info, they didn't. I think we used the main house line as all of our phone #s (even though most of us didn't live in the house yet), and there were some girls who obviously made up names and hometowns, not only from my chapter but from other chapters as well. Both Fraternities and Sororities were published in the book.

Hmm... I wonder where mine is???
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
Kath, I think you're just mad because when creepy fratties start hitting on you and you tell them your name is Tiffany, they'll be like, "No, you're Kathleen. Don't lie to me. I saw you in the pledge book."

Foiled!

Anyway I think the idea of printing pledge's pictures in book and selling them is not such a good one today, but for the time that it was in, I don't think it was such a big deal.
Bwahaha, you caught me. You're actually right - I'm sure at the time when carnation was at Auburn and they were doing this, the guys would be more respectable about it, and like ISUKappa said, they all used the house phone. I guess I was just thinking it was like a dossier on the pledges, and I really got enough crank calls in the dorms without a bunch of fratties* coming after me.

*Note here that while I don't generally condone the term frat or fratty, I think by using it everybody knows exactly what type of fellow I am implying. Obviously an upstanding youth of moral character would not stalk me through a pledge facebook.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
I'm just picturing some XYZ frat daddy buying the rush booklet and being like "Oh Caitlin from Mobile in Pi Phi is pretty hot, I'll have to go to our swap with them...
ROFLMBO - this should be quote of the day!

Exactly the image I was picturing!! We aren't even allowed to post our roster on the internet due to weirdos on the lookout! Only pictures - no names.