GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,534
1 members and 1,533 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 03-04-2003, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DaffodilDarling
Unhappy Advice needed!

One of our New Members decided not to finish New Member Education. I recieved an Email earlier this afternoon from her. Her Big Sis is going to be devastated when she finds out.

Any ideas on how to cheer her big sis up?

Do you know how we can keep her from talking to the outside world about what goes on during New Member Ed, and about Sorority Secrets?

:-(
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-04-2003, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to valpogal99 Send a message via Yahoo to valpogal99
Do you know why she made the decided not to continue? If it was for reasons outside of the sorority (ie, family or medical) she will probably respect the sorority enough to not tell people what she learned. Just make sure you talk to her about it and let her know how important it is to not reveal your sorority information. Hopefully she will understand. As far as letting the big sister know, again it depends on her reasons. I would probably let her know when only a few close people are around. The chapter will know soon enough and questions will start flying. I would recommend letting her sis know when it is the two of you and maybe one other person. Pizza, ice cream, and/or chocolate seems to cheer most people up. Have a fun social event like a pajama party or movie marathon (or both). Good luck!
Old 03-05-2003, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

As former new member coordinator - I had the unfortunate duty of "debriefing" 2 of my new members that quit do y'all have pre de pledging counseling? At my chapter you had to go through counseling before you could de pledge - that seemed to help

As for the big Sis I'm not sure - maybe lock yourselves up with tins of junk food and good movies! good luck
Old 03-05-2003, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Zephyr
I serve as a Membership Development Advisor for my sorority, and I will tell you what I tell my Collegians when this occasionally happens...

The Greek System is not for everyone--and though you liked this girl, maybe your sorority was not for her! We had, in the past, a NM quit and join a different sorority--and we were happy for her because ultimately, you want people to go where they best fit in.

I don't know why your NM left, but I think things work out for the best. Hopefully she left for the right reasons (she couldn't put in the time, couldn't make the commitment, didn't feel the sorority was right for her, couldn't keep up her grades and the sorority...etc) and not the wrong reasons (shewas being hazed).

It is hard to walk away, but woudl you rather have had her get in, hate the sorority, and then become dead weight?

I know the Big is upset--I had TWO littles go AWOL on me. I'd hope that their friendship would superceed involvement in your sorority.

Look at this as a chance to show this woman what true sisterhood is. Don't have your Sisters ignore her. Don't say bad things about her. Tell her you are saddened by her decision, and if you mean it, would welcome her again in a year should she want to join again. Make sure she knows you thought she'd have been an excellent member of your Chapter, and that you wish her nothing but the best and hope she enjoyed her time with you.

If you tell her something like that... what is she going to be able to say? "I quit but they were still nice to me???"

I don't know what goes on in your NM Program, but we don't reveal our Sorority secrets until initiation. I've also learned that Greeks tend to really respect the private aspects of other Greek organizations and if she did try to tell someone your secrets, I think A LOT of Greeks would say, "No, don't tell me that, it's private."

I'm serious!

I hope this helped!

Kristen