GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,423
1 members and 1,422 guests
bjenzdarka5720

Old 04-12-2000, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Thanks for the information - I think it would be a good idea to post closing on this site as we hear about them - if the moderators agree. This helps do away with the old adage "it can't happen to us" that is heard all to often. Closings, suspensions, and probation happen more frequently than most people think. I've been to a chapter closing (my own in 1989) - it is as bad as watching a close family member die - I'd do whatever it takes to help prevent other members from going through that pain and anguish. (The only good news is that we just recolonized my chapter after 11 years!).

I know of two other closings in the past few weeks, both at Colorado State - ------------------
Don't be your brother's keeper; rather, be your brother's Brother.

[This message has been edited by LXAAlum (edited April 12, 2000).]
Old 04-12-2000, 05:54 PM

Wink

LXA Alum,

I know what you are trying to say, but with all due respect, I'd rather not see that here. There is another Greek discussion site where every day they have news of another hazing, alcohol, or chapter closing incident. I don't know the moderators' motivation but it seems like they almost relish telling it. It makes the whole site seem negative, as opposed to this one where everyone (Fred excluded) seems positive and dedicated to strengthening the system as a whole.

I just worry that all people see in stories like that is "ABC Fraternity - closed - hazing." And that's what they'll think of ABC from then on. The issues are important and I'm not trying to sweep anything under the rug, but I think the kind of positive discussions that take place here are more important than compiling a compendium of "Greek Life Gone Bad." Plus, what is reported to the media does not always tell the whole story - I know from personal experience.

What does everyone else think?

Old 04-12-2000, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

33 - Upon retrospection - I will agree with you, to a point. However, I do believe awareness is key to members who only see their GLO from their chapter's perspective, not usually from the national organization they may belong to. I have seen the announcing of what other chapters may have done have an impact in a particular chapter, as I said before, it makes them think through decisions on questionable activities a lot better than simply adopting the "it can't happen here" mentality. It also helps break a "Groupthink" mentality (I posted the basics of this in another forum on this site, please read for clarification)

I would appreciate it if you could direct me to the other forum you referred to in your post. And, I have edited my previous message to delete the actual organizations I reported.

My apologies to anyone I may have accidentally offended.

------------------
Old 04-13-2000, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

You will have to ask John. He will be the deciding factor, but I don't believe it necessary. If you want to view closings or alligations, visit the site above, also, what kind of sources are we going to use to get this information, word of mouth is not good enough if you post a list of the internet. I don't think we need to post a list.

------------------
Mikki Gates
Delta Zeta Alum
Kappa Mu Chapter
Sigma Alpha Iota Alum
Eta Tau Chapter

"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."

--Julia Roberts
(Steel Magnolias)

Visit me at:
http://homepages.go.com/~dzkm433/index.html
and
http://www.calypso.com/dzkm433/welcomtomyworld.chtml
Old 04-13-2000, 10:30 AM

Cool

www.greekcentral.com

I think you'll see what I mean about that site as opposed to this one!

As James mentioned, U-Wire is a good source, and of course there's also stophazing.org.

LXA Alum - you didn't have to go & edit! Gosh whiz, I feel flattered! (hee hee)
Old 04-13-2000, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Checked out GreekCentral - thanks. You are right - seems rather negatively oriented for a "greek" site. Also, I couldn't get half the news links to work on my PC - bummer.

------------------