GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,581
1 members and 1,580 guests
FSUZeta

Old 10-14-2010, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
MARIA!!
I second that call!!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I knew I could count on both of you
Old 10-14-2010, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
A few of them came over to inspect my badge and one shared that she is asking for a "fancy badge" for Christmas. I was so tempted to point her to Badge Trends, but I'll wait; she's a freshman and college is very expensive.
Good Girl!!! As a college student it absolutely stinks to see badges that are gorgeous and there is no way you can afford them. Or worse when there is something on ebay (badge or other things: specifically crest earrings ) you see and actually could afford, except know really how practical are they in comparison with what else you need to survive in college.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
YAY! That's awesome, congratulations! I did exactly the opposite- my original badge is sapphire & pearl without enamel but with chapter guard, so my blue & blue badge is with enamel and without a chapter guard. It's nice to have options.... and gorgeous ones at that!

To all the badge trends folks- I was at Kappa HQ a week and a half ago and have some pictures to share... but won't be posting any until a certain someone here sends me something long overdue
Thanks! I'm super excited. I also see that you can now buy a $30 plain KKG badge. I think it's a great option instead of not buying a badge, especially because money is tight for a lot of new members. If anyone has one of these badges, I'd like to see a picture.

To everyone, how long has it taken for you to receive badges from Herff Jones? Does it really take six weeks?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiTigergurl View Post
Good Girl!!! As a college student it absolutely stinks to see badges that are gorgeous and there is no way you can afford them. Or worse when there is something on ebay (badge or other things: specifically crest earrings ) you see and actually could afford, except know really how practical are they in comparison with what else you need to survive in college.
I feel you! I'm saving a little bit of each paycheck to buy my dream badge (pearl delta with garnet points) as a graduation present to myself. It's so hard to see interesting badges on ebay (like the one I posted last) and let them go.

Also, it's nice to see this thread bumped - I missed it, but had nothing to contribute!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

One of the latest pins I won was alternating rubies & pearls - with no pin on the back! Insteead of looking at this as a problem, I'm trying to think of what I could have it soldered onto.

Suggestions?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Honey- a ring or necklace are what jumps out to me. One Kappa bought a pin-less badge and created a custom badge necklace out of it. I'm sure you could think of something interesting as a setting- maybe set hovering in a larger diamond, or an oval, or... Something!

sky&sea- I noticed that this week too! It's great that there's such a low cost option to enable more Kappas to get badges. Although I liked that we only offered solid gold... But the benefits outweigh that, I think. I just hope they are treasured as much.

Gusteau- totally. I've been super busy lately but still hoped to see something here... I promise I will share some pictures once I get something from a certain opal lover!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Honey, maybe you could do a necklace with the chain attached to the left and right points of the diamond instead making it a pendant suspended from the top point. I think that could be really interesting. To diagram it out:

-------<>-------

Lily, I actually just found a really interesting piece that should be off auction in about a week. In the mean time I suppose we should all put pressure on a certain someone.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
sky&sea- I noticed that this week too! It's great that there's such a low cost option to enable more Kappas to get badges. Although I liked that we only offered solid gold... But the benefits outweigh that, I think. I just hope they are treasured as much.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. I think some chapters put the cost of a basic badge in with their NM fees, then you can "upgrade" it if you want and get some bling. My chapter always tried to keep dues down since you aren't REQUIRED to own a badge, so we didn't do this. I hope more of my sisters can have badges now!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Honey, maybe you could do a necklace with the chain attached to the left and right points of the diamond instead making it a pendant suspended from the top point. I think that could be really interesting. To diagram it out:

-------<>-------
This. Yes. Great minds think alike!

You could also have a bracelet made in this fashion, but then again, bracelets tend to get beat up more than necklaces, so I'd steer away from that general direction. I'd hate to beat up a badge.

Hmmm... maybe even a lariat-style necklace with the badge joining the two ends of the chain?

| |
| |
\ /
<>
|
|
|

(that type of thing.)
Macon Magnolias
Old 10-15-2010, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky&sea View Post
Thanks! I'm super excited. I also see that you can now buy a $30 plain KKG badge. I think it's a great option instead of not buying a badge, especially because money is tight for a lot of new members. If anyone has one of these badges, I'd like to see a picture.

To everyone, how long has it taken for you to receive badges from Herff Jones? Does it really take six weeks?
1) Yes, it does take six weeks; at least, it did for me back in March. It might have been more like five weeks, but close enough.

2) Even I'm excited that you can get a $30 KKG badge! Phi Mus are required to purchase a badge upon Initiation, and the cost of the "basic" badge (gold-filled, I believe; $40-ish?) is included in our new member fees. Of course, we can upgrade if we want to, but at least we all get a badge to wear and call our own.
Macon Magnolias
Old 10-15-2010, 12:16 PM

Lucy, you're not required to own a badge? Interesting. We are required to own a badge while a collegian. An alumna can give her badge to her sister, daughter, or granddaughter if she joins AEPhi. Every AEPhi gets the same badge, and the cost is not terribly steep.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Lucy, you're not required to own a badge? Interesting. We are required to own a badge while a collegian.
There's been discussion about this before -- about which GLOs include a badge in the initiation fee and which ones don't. I'm not finding it though.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa doesn't require you to buy a badge. Some chapters include the fee for the basic badge in new member fees- I'm not sure how many chapters know about the new less expensive option, though. At Founders Day I was sitting with a few new members and trying to convince them to splurge on a blue & blue or other jeweled badge... Most of the chapter at UW has plain gold badges and while I love them for their simplicity, they don't really wear their badges or take a lot of pride in them. I figured that if someone splurged for a nicer one, she may wear it more and thus share a tiny bit of badge love with her chapter.

ETA: The require or not discussion in this thread actually started right away- I think Vito may have been the first to say that it was included in his initiation fees, which then turned into whether it was required. That was a long, long time ago!

Last edited by thetygerlily; 10-15-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
There's been discussion about this before -- about which GLOs include a badge in the initiation fee and which ones don't. I'm not finding it though.
This is a different question - whether you, as an initiated member of your GLO, are required to own a badge or not.

There are actually three possibilities here:

1. The GLO doesn't require you to buy a badge, but you can choose to do so, or an individual chapter can choose to ask all its new members to buy at least a plain badge (it seems this is what Kappa does).
2. The GLO does require you to buy a badge, but includes the cost of the most basic option as part of your new member fee. If you want a fancier badge, you pay the difference.
3. The GLO does require you to buy a badge, and does NOT include the cost as part of your new member fee. (Interestingly enough, this is what AEPhi does (or at least what my chapter did) even though everyone gets the same badge and the only available add-on is a chapter guard. When PNMs got their little sheets breaking down their first-semester costs, the badge fee was a separate line item.)

Last edited by aephi alum; 10-15-2010 at 03:03 PM.