GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,462
0 members and 1,462 guests
No Members online

Old 01-06-2000, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Question NPC vs NPHC

I joined a NPC house and I am very unhappy with this decision. I researched as much as I could but after initiation the true colors of this house were shown. I want to know if I can join a NPHC. When I initiated, I thought it would be for life but after what I've experenced, I can not in good faith belong to this organization. I still want to give my service to a sorority that will appriciate my efforts no matter how small. (Don't misunderstand me,I'm not looking for kudos)Also, I want to have membership in a sorority that is respected and is making a difference (in a positive way )in the lives of other people. I see this in the sororities of the NPHC not to say they are better but had I known then what I know now...Anyway I want to know that if I disaffiliate my NPC can I join a NPHC? Barbara of ZTA seems to have a lot of information regarding this kind of stuff. HELP!
Old 01-06-2000, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
I believe that the NPHC regulations do not allow you to be an initiated member of any other sorority, NPC or otherwise. In addition, most NPHC members I have known would look negatively on your leaving one affiliation for another. They definitely believe that your pledge is for life and would look down on you for leaving one group for another.

I assume that you have already initiated into your chapter and therefore would not be eligible to join another NPC fraternity either. Instead of leaving the group, why not talk over your misgivings with a trusted advisor or senior member who shares your feelings. Work with them to change things, starting small and reaching out to the rest of the chapter.

My advice to you would be to be a leader and help your chapter become the respected organization on campus that you want it to be. The bigger challenge, and in my opinion the most rewarding, would be staying put and working from within your chapter to turn it around.

I would have to know more details of how you feel the groups "true colors" have come out. Periods of low sisterhood are common, but those that ride out the storm find it worthwhile down the road. Email me if you would like to discuss it more...although it may take a couple of days to get back to you.

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.

Old 01-07-2000, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Barbara. I am a member of the NPHC and you can't join the NPHC now. Did you not check out the NPHC greek organizations on your campus before you made your decision? I would work to improve the relations in your wn sorority. And if sisterhood is still lacking for you then turn to your friends, you know the girls that had your back before you pledged or did you kick them to the curb. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2000, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I believe both responses to the post may be incorrect. I am not certain, but I believe that it is possible to denounce your membership in an NPC Sorority and become a member of an NPHC Sorority. Honestly speaking, if you are pledging on a different campus or as a graduate then you should be fine. Don't speak about your past if you are not asked. Just some honest advice.

But seriously, you ought not to be looking into another sorority at this time. You should have done all of this research from the beginning. Young ladies need to understand that pledging an NPHC Sorority is a LIFETIME commitment. You can't just go around from group to group like that. You need to do thorough research then make your decision FOR LIFE!
Old 01-07-2000, 06:04 PM
Banned

I thoroughly researched your organization, and I do know that your sororitiy's SACRED VOW is a lifetime commitment. As a Christian, I would never join an organization that aspires to be under the grace of a false god or goddess such as Minerva. If sisterhood is at the center of Minerva's circle, where does God fit in your organization? He's definitely not first.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fred Hatchett (edited January 09, 2000).]
Old 01-11-2000, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Mr. Hatchett,
Mirnerva has nothing to do with the organization I used to belong to. You have absoutly NO idea what you're talking about in refrence to my house. God is not the basis of this particular sorority and if I had wanted to join a religious group, I would have done so.

To the others who responded to my post, thank you. I will take into consideration your suggestions.
Old 04-05-2000, 01:16 AM
heather

Quote:
Originally posted by Cameron1913:
I joined a NPC house and I am very unhappy with this decision. I researched as much as I could but after initiation the true colors of this house were shown. I want to know if I can join a NPHC. When I initiated, I thought it would be for life but after what I've experenced, I can not in good faith belong to this organization. I still want to give my service to a sorority that will appriciate my efforts no matter how small. (Don't misunderstand me,I'm not looking for kudos)Also, I want to have membership in a sorority that is respected and is making a difference (in a positive way )in the lives of other people. I see this in the sororities of the NPHC not to say they are better but had I known then what I know now...Anyway I want to know that if I disaffiliate my NPC can I join a NPHC? Barbara of ZTA seems to have a lot of information regarding this kind of stuff. HELP!
This is the post i was curious about
Old 04-05-2000, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Like the some of the threads of this topic states, and like I said in my response to your topic, she would not be able to come into the NPHC. Becasue she was once a member of NPC.

CRIMSON said: "but I believe that it is possible to denounce your membership in an NPC Sorority and become a member of an NPHC Sorority."

WRONG: Regardless of her choice to to denounce her membership. Denouncing doesn't erase the fact that she was once a member.

Just like it doesn't erase the fact that FRED was an OMEGA! I know you still read these boards, Fred, so I would advise you NOT to email me!
Old 04-07-2000, 12:31 AM
heather

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Ms.CrimsonCream:
Like the some of the threads of this topic states, and like I said in my response to your topic, she would not be able to come into the NPHC. Becasue she was once a member of NPC.

CRIMSON said: "but I believe that it is possible to denounce your membership in an NPC Sorority and become a member of an NPHC Sorority."

WRONG: Regardless of her choice to to denounce her membership. Denouncing doesn't erase the fact that she was once a member.

Just like it doesn't erase the fact that FRED was an OMEGA! I know you still read these boards, Fred, so I would advise you NOT to email me!
Ms Crimson and Cream,

Now I'm really curious. When a prospective is in the process of becoming a member (pledging) , does that particular sorority do a "search" for a lack of a better term, to see if this person was ever in any other secret organization? I'm not trying to be a smarty pants, it just raises some questions in my mind.
Old 04-07-2000, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I can answer part of that. . .I know that in my sorority, you have to meet certain requirements, like GPA for example. You sign a paper that states that all the requirements are true. One of which is that you don't belong to another organization. If you lie, I don't think you initiation will be valid. I think that's how it works. But we did have to sign a paper saying that we were not members of any other socail organization(greek).
Old 04-07-2000, 09:58 AM
Tammy

Our Rush/Recruitment Advisor was like Nancy Drew. She and her committee researched every transfer Rushee to make sure that the girl was on the up and up. If she was caught in a lie, saying she was never initiated when she was, our RD notified the Greek Life Director. Greek Life took it from there.

Mostly Greek Life caught girls before Rush began. It was rare but it happened.
Old 04-13-2000, 02:57 PM
heather

Question

Ms.Crimson n Cream,

I am still waiting to hear your reply.Thanks
Old 04-14-2000, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to redQT Send a message via Yahoo to redQT
I could be wrong but it is to my understanding that you cannot be a member of another NPHC sorority or fraternity.

Case & Point being - I know several ladies who are members of Gamma Sigma Sigma and AKA or DST... Gamma Sigma Sigma is NPC and AKA and DST are NPHC.

The best thing to do is to contact the National Headquarters of the particular sorority/fraternity that you are interested in and ask them.

redQT
Old 04-14-2000, 10:06 AM

Wink

redQT-
Gamma Sigma Sigma isn't NPC. They are primarily a service sorority (like A-Phi-O) and wouldn't be classed with the social organizations in NPC. I think APO & GSS are both in something called the Professional Fraternity Assoication, but don't quote me.
Old 04-14-2000, 11:37 AM
Missy

33Girl is right about the Professional Fraternity Assoication. However, on some campuses GSS dos belong to the collegiate Panhellenic council. These are usually schools with few NPC sororities.