GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,213
1 members and 1,212 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 08-08-2012, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

A few weeks ago, I had a local girl ask me to write her a rec for Ole Miss and I agreed. She told me that it was due September 1 so I had not yet submitted it. I am now seeing that it looks like her rec will be late and I feel terrible. But it's not my fault she gave me the wrong date, right? Should it have been my responsibility to confirm this?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

don't worry about whose fault it is. just get it done and sent off asap.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
don't worry about whose fault it is. just get it done and sent off asap.
Exactly. Send it by the electronic method if your HQ has made that method possible for you.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
PERFECT and stellar excuse

Be sure to wear your medal during parties!

Well done, 28stGreek!
Well considering the little sporting event that's going on in London, it was the first excuse that came to mind!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloRose View Post
A few weeks ago, I had a local girl ask me to write her a rec for Ole Miss and I agreed. She told me that it was due September 1 so I had not yet submitted it. I am now seeing that it looks like her rec will be late and I feel terrible. But it's not my fault she gave me the wrong date, right? Should it have been my responsibility to confirm this?
My daughter pointed out to me that one of the sororities at Ole Miss had Sept. 1 on their website as the deadline, but the office of Greek Affairs suggested Aug 1st.

However, recruitment registration doesn't close until August 27th. (Early Bird registration closed on August 1st.)
Old 08-08-2012, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Aren't the girls already at work week and school started by Aug 27th? This seems really late to me. I believe registration closed July 15 at Arkansas.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:04 PM

I would assume they have work week before school actually starts, and then a little "break" until rush happens in September.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I would assume they have work week before school actually starts, and then a little "break" until rush happens in September.
Along with the upcoming work week, some chapters already had weekly work days last semester, and some have weekly work days this semester after the work week. With all the PNMs here it takes a lot of work to become familiar with all of them and make other preparations.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 08-09-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-09-2012, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm pretty sure all of the sororities move in this Saturday (at least AOII does). Then "work week" starts on Monday. It's a fun week of workshops, sisterhood, and fun!

As far as recs go, like everyone else said, send them in now! I can't imagine any sorority would throw it away if received past their "deadline."
Old 08-09-2012, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Along with the upcoming work week, some chapters already had weekly work days last semester, and some have weekly work days this semester after the work week. With all the PNMs here it takes a lot of work to become familiar with all of them and make other preparations.
The two years we did it this way at Arkansas (and did I mention how happy we are that we only did it two years?) the girls met the week before school started and then weekly until mid September, too. Plus, they were scoping out the pnms in class, socially, etc! Even though rush technically started in September, the whole 5 or 6 weeks prior felt like one big rush party. The girls were 'on' all the time.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Great Thread for advice:
Social Media Before/During Recruitment
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CLEAN UP YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA!!! DO IT NOW!

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...43#post2165861
Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
OK, Irish, let's approach this a little bit differently since I am among those who usually discourage women in your position.

What is going to entice a chapter to extend a bid to you instead of the 1200 (or whatever number) mostly freshman girls who have been preparing for recruitment for many, many months?

What kind of super shiny, glittery qualifications are going to make you stand head & shoulders above your younger competition that already have their references in place? References that have been studied for months by women already in the sororities at Ole Miss?

- Do you have a STELLAR (3.75+) GPA from a well respected university?

- Did you start some kind of charitable drive to feed kids in underprivileged countries or lead a rebuilding efforts in Haiti or collect donations for war veterans?

- Were you president of your former university's student association or service organization?

Tell us what makes you the super special snowflake junior that they will want to take a chance on?
I am transferring from a school in DC with a 4.0 and I did volunteer work Monday through Friday at the veteran hospitals there. I am transferring because my fiancée got moved to a base in the south and I fell in love with ole miss when I visited. I realized my situation wasn't the best from the start that's why I was asking for people's options by no means did I think I had the best chance or was entitled to a bid, sorry if I came off that way.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish22 View Post
I am transferring from a school in DC with a 4.0 and I did volunteer work Monday through Friday at the veteran hospitals there. I am transferring because my fiancée got moved to a base in the south and I fell in love with ole miss when I visited. I realized my situation wasn't the best from the start that's why I was asking for people's options by no means did I think I had the best chance or was entitled to a bid, sorry if I came off that way.
It's nothing you said. It's that we get this question over and over and over again, and we answer it over and over and over again. So, when someone asks it anew, it means either they didn't read what is already posted, or they thing that, for some reason, the stuff already posted doesn't apply to them.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, DBB! Irish, she explained my comments perfectly.

Assuming that your qualifications are true, I think you probably have a better chance than other junior PNMs that I have heard of. Recs are still going to be a big issue for you at this very late date, but perhaps not a deal killer. I hope you give it a try and let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Thank you, DBB! Irish, she explained my comments perfectly.

Assuming that your qualifications are true, I think you probably have a better chance than other junior PNMs that I have heard of. Recs are still going to be a big issue for you at this very late date, but perhaps not a deal killer. I hope you give it a try and let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Are we still talking about Ole Miss? I do not hope she gives it a try, unless she is in for some serious let-downs.