GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,498
4 members and 1,494 guests
AlizaXzd60, bannetattsa680, NikiMussen

Old 11-26-2005, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Go Greek, go gay

Go Greek, go gay
Groundbreaking author visits Atlanta during national fraternity conference with book on gay men in fraternities.

By BUCK C. COOKE
Friday, November 25, 2005

Shane Windmeyer wrote the book on being gay or bisexual in a fraternity — literally.

Actually, he edited two of them. “Brotherhood: Gay Life in College Fraternities” was released in October by Alyson Books. A book on lesbians and bisexuals in sororities is sold separately as a companion to “Brotherhood.”

Windmeyer visits Atlanta Nov. 30-Dec. 3 as a featured presenter at the North American Interfraternity Conference/Association of Fraternity Advisors Annual Meeting.

Windmeyer also hosts a release party for “Brotherhood” for conference attendees and a book signing.

“Brotherhood” is a collection of first-person accounts of gay life in college fraternities. It tackles controversial topics including sex and dating between fraternity brothers. The book reflects the increasing diversity in the fraternity world, featuring gay, straight and bisexual writers from traditional, Latino, Asian and gay fraternities.

“The book offers something for everyone, from professionals working with fraternities and sororities, or a person wondering what it might be like to rush openly gay,” Windmeyer says.

Windmeyer founded the Lambda 10 Project in 1995 with Dr. Pamela Freeman, a faculty member at Indiana University. The group supports gay visibility and acceptance in the Greek world.

“Ten years ago, we would have never talked about rushing as an openly gay rushee. Ten years ago, men were having sex with men in their fraternity, and no one talked about it,” Windmeyer says. “Now, we’re talking about that and addressing those issues, but we leave it open to the reader to make their own decisions.”

Since then, the visibility of gay and bisexual fraternity men has grown, Windmeyer says.

“We have more straight allies,” he says. “Fraternity men are beginning to understand that brotherhood is not just going out drinking. It is about supporting each other and standing behind your fellow members. Being a good brother is being an ally. … If you have a strong brotherhood, you can overcome any homophobia.”

Before Lambda 10 was founded, there were “two or three” groups addressing sexual orientation, Windmeyer says.

“Now we have 18 that have passed policies inclusive of sexual orientation, and we have almost two dozen groups that have educational work dealing with sexual orientation,” he says. “Fraternities are not known for asking for help, so we have tried to forge relationships to make that possible.”

Despite the advances, there is still unbroken ground, Windmeyer says.

“The old men in positions of power, though, are going to do what they do best, and that is ignoring the issues,” he laments.

Sigma Chi Fraternity deserves to be recognized for its advancement of gay issues, and would win the “Gay Is Okay Award” if it existed, according to Windmeyer.

In the past year, a Sigma Chi chapter in Texas was featured on an episode of “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.” Another member was on the cover of the Advocate, and the fraternity’s international magazine repeatedly features articles on gay issues.

And Sigma Chi is not alone.

“There are a dozen groups who are trying to be proactive instead of reactive,” Windmeyer says. “Our undergraduate men will continue to push their groups and push [gay] issues to the forefront, and these are the men who will become leaders and politicians and who will pass laws that will allow gay men to live their lives.

“Fraternities can be positive change agents for gay life,” he adds. “You can open up the minds of straight people by being in these groups, and teach them that their lives should be the same in terms of marriage, job security, etc.”

Fraternity men in the future will say “my brother who is gay should have the same things too,” the author says.

more at sovo.com
Old 11-26-2005, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Other Books Out Here!

There are Gay Brothers/Sisters in All Greeks!

Is it a total Surprise?

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 11-27-2005 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

:|
Old 11-27-2005, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

IDK...they might be pushing the issue more that it needs to be pushed like it is.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I think 'pushing' the issue at the conference he is presenting at is not only accpetable, but timely. Its the AFA - the professional org for greek advisors. Those are the people on the front lines of this issue who deal with this stuff on a weekly basis. I dont think a presentation to them at their annual meeting is 'pushing'. I think its professional of them to have this presentation.

If it was at a conference for 18 year old new members, then I could consider it 'pushing' the issue.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Ridiculous

I hope that nationals are not taking this stuff seriously. This is really pushing the issue far too much, and the fact that some liberal starts shooting his mouth off about fraternities being accepting and tolerant. We are exclusive societies, I cannot beleive that in my organization open toleration of homosexuals would ever be brought up. Last year Sigma Chi magazine had a picture of a shattered cross with regards to an article about gay Sigs. Our founders must have been rolling in their graves.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InHocYall View Post
I hope that nationals are not taking this stuff seriously. This is really pushing the issue far too much, and the fact that some liberal starts shooting his mouth off about fraternities being accepting and tolerant. We are exclusive societies, I cannot beleive that in my organization open toleration of homosexuals would ever be brought up. Last year Sigma Chi magazine had a picture of a shattered cross with regards to an article about gay Sigs. Our founders must have been rolling in their graves.
i find this offensive brother becausee i am a sigma chi and i am gay
Old 03-02-2013, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigchiguy1855 View Post
i find this offensive brother becausee i am a sigma chi and i am gay
Considering this thread is more than 7 years old, I think your indignation is a bit overdue
Old 03-03-2013, 01:10 AM

This thread brought many LOLs.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This thread brought many LOLs.
I read maybe the first 4 posts on the first page and my brain caught on fire from the amount of ig'nance I just read.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Ridiculous

Quote:
Originally posted by InHocYall
What is so wrong with be accepting and tolerant? Everyone can learn something from everyone else, if they are willing to do so. If there is someone in your organization that maybe you wouldn't have ever thought you would want to have as a brother, whether because its of sexual orientation or race or religion or whatever, then that's just a challenge for you to try to figure out what it is that you can learn. Deal with it, make the best of the situation, and you might be surprised.

And has it ever occured to you that just because your founders started your organization one way, that doesn't mean it was finished right then? It's up to the brothers who follow them to continue to shape the organization and keep making it better - and that might mean changing some things.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: InHocYall

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedGreek
I'm a gay man who happens to be al fraternity alum. My first boyfriend happened to be a Sigma Chi. There are gay members in every org, whether you like it or not.
dito... and my boyfriend is a SigEp
Old 12-01-2005, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: InHocYall

Quote:
Originally posted by stuckinohio
dito... and my boyfriend is a SigEp
Buck Cooke, who wrote the article in the original post, is the Greek advisor at my school (Georgia Tech) and he's gay. I just really don't see why it has to be such a big deal.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Chi was based among other things on Christian values. I do not beleive that true fraternity can thrive when you are looking to 'date' brothers. As a brother in my chapter I prefer to preserve the prestige and tradition that have made us a top tier national fraternity. If you want to go progressive join some 'progressive' fraternity that was founded in 1998. I value tradition and am adapting my life to represent the ideals, not adjusting the ideals to modern times.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally posted by InHocYall
Sigma Chi was based among other things on Christian values. I do not beleive that true fraternity can thrive when you are looking to 'date' brothers. As a brother in my chapter I prefer to preserve the prestige and tradition that have made us a top tier national fraternity. If you want to go progressive join some 'progressive' fraternity that was founded in 1998. I value tradition and am adapting my life to represent the ideals, not adjusting the ideals to modern times.
At Otterbein, every single fraternity has at least one openly gay member. There are no instances of brothers dating brothers. It just doesn't happen. Gay people don't hit on every person they see, just like hetero people don't hit on everyone they see.

You "preserve the prestige and tradition that have made you a top tier national fraternity"...well, guess what, some of that prestige and tradition is the result of brotherhood, which, more than likely, INCLUDES GAY MEN. I'd venture to say that every national fraternity has gay members, it's part of life.

and it's great that you were founded on christian ideals...shouldn't that mean accepting a brother as well? He is initiated in the same bonds as you, no? I'd never deny or denounce a sister because she's a lesbian. I'd never deny or denounce her because she's Muslim or Protestant or Jewish or Agnostic and I'm Catholic. I won't because she wears the same pin I do. She has equal value and standing in the sorority. Obviously, someone in my organization thought her worthy to enter our bonds, and in respect to that, I must trust my sister.

I'd also be denying one of my vows..."To thy own self be true". It's been our motto since 1915. Asking a sister to be anything other than what is in her heart is against our sorority law.

"It is easy to be with people we agree with, but it is enlightening to be with people whom we do not understand."