GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 923
0 members and 923 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. First of all, UF_Pike's ignorant ass post is not worthy of my response. Comments like his perpetuate issues the Black community still deal with today such as the color complex.

I am an African-American woman and I love my race, my culture, my heritage, and my roots. I looooove Black men and to me, there's nothing more beautiful than a good Black man with a good Black woman by his side. I can't say that I'd never date outside of my race, but it's highly unlikely because I really don't think a white man can handle me. I think people who are one race but say they "exclusively" date other races (for whatever reasons) are ignorant and disowning a piece of themselves.

Now, my grandmother would DIE and my both my late grandfathers would turn in their graves if I were ever to bring home a white man. They were raised in Mississippi during the 1930s and 40s and have some issues with White people because of the injustice and legacy of hate in the south. I can't blame them. But if I were in love, regardless of race, I would just have to work it out with my grandmother.
My mother and father are a little more accepting than my grandparents are, but it would take them quite a while to warm up. One time, my brother brought this red-headed white girl home to watch some movies. Her name was Heather and my brother had been talking about her all week. My parents assumed she was Black. Wellll, when he brought her in the house, my folks were like !! It was hilarious because they were in such shock. My father called my brother upstairs and was like, "Boy, are you crazzzzy?!?! Does her father know where she is right now?" My Ma was like, "Get her outta here NOW!" My parents aren't necessarily racist, but they believe that "white girls are trouble" especially in the small North Carolina town where I was raised and some country parts of the state.

One thing I can't stand though are the white guys who try to "holla" at me just because I'm Black...for experimental purposes...or because they heard Black women are freaks. Let it be known that Black women are just as sexually active and promiscuous as the average White, Asian, or Latina woman. This myth is what caused so much oppression and rape among African American women.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I am very surprised to hear how everyone's parents feel about this! I guess I just didn't expect that kind of attitude anymore. My parents could care less what race guy I date. And yes, they're probably older than most of the parents reffed here.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
thanks for defining that for me starang21

i just find it sad that our parent have to come from a racist generation. unfortunately there isn't much that will change it. let's just be happy that our generation and our children's generations will be more tolerant (hopefully).

shelley j
sigma k
Old 02-18-2003, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I don't discriminate when dating. I will date any man, as long as he is genuine (and sexy). I don't have as hard a time with men of different races as I do with men from different social classes.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist Prime
Go rent "guess who's coming to dinner"
I have copy of that movie at my house and I enjoy it very much. I have been involved in a interracial relationship a couple of times( I'm African-American). As long as you are happy with whomever you chose to be with, That's all that matters. A relationship is a relationship, nothing more.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 02-18-2003, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

In most cases when you are talking about interracial relationships you are also talking about intercultural relationships.

To be intercultural does not require different country, nationality, etc. I think that most of us agree that in the US there are certain cultures that people identify with often based on what their racial background is. Cultures dictate our shared experiences, how we communicate, our dialect, etc. Most of us seek out partners in relationships that share our same culture.

When UFPike made the above "racist remarks" as some have labeled them I believe he was referring to the 'lucky' girl's culture. "Talking white", not wearing cornrows, etc.. These are things that in his home or his family he would find acceptable. In other words, like most of us, we seek partners like ourselves.

Race does not DIRECTLY determine who many of us would or would not date. It does influence who the person is through culture. If I'm going to date someone she must be able to communicate effectively with me, must be attractive (and there are beautiful women of all colors), etc.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-18-2003, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

You can try and justify uf_pike's comments but I think if he was trying to explain his family, he could have done it with a little more tact. I am still offended by those remarks. I talk with just as much intelligence as any given person. I actually had someone tell me that I talk too proper to be black.

After all these years, we (not just blacks, but everyone) still cant be looked at as equals. It makes me sick. Do we really need to pass this racist attitude to our children???
Old 02-18-2003, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I would like to think that my parents are accepting of different races. I have never experienced a problem. I have dated an asian man before(I am caucasian...mostly) my parents have always been very warm and friendly. My parents feel as long as the guy treats me well and I am happy, that's all that matters.
However, I think my mother might be a little concerned if i dated a balck guy. i think she might be concerned how others in society would treat us. My mother, is in simplest terms 1/4 black. My grandmother is biracial. While my mother was growing up in England, her mother and siblings experienced awful hatred and discrimination because of the colour of their skin. I just think my mother would not want me or the man I was dating to have to experience hatred or cruelty just because some people cannot accept interracial relationships.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool The responses i've seen in this thread

What I'm gonna say is going to be a shocker...so take this time to
rejoice...because this is a rare occasion to say..................

I am SPEECHLESS. I don't have anything to say!

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 02-18-2003, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: The responses i've seen in this thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
What I'm gonna say is going to be a shocker...so take this time to
rejoice...because this is a rare occasion to say..................

I am SPEECHLESS. I don't have anything to say!
WTF????
Old 02-18-2003, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: The responses i've seen in this thread

Quote:
Originally posted by starang21
WTF????
Hehehehe i asssume you don't know my rep on here.

^^^

Old 02-18-2003, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: The responses i've seen in this thread

Quote:
Hehehehe i asssume you don't know my rep on here.
i assume you lean torwards more of the ig'nant/buckwild/7:30 posting up in the spot?
Old 02-18-2003, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: The responses i've seen in this thread

Quote:
Originally posted by starang21
i assume you lean torwards more of the ig'nant/buckwild/7:30 posting up in the spot?
Nope.

Just usually pretty vocal about things.

^^^

Old 02-18-2003, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The responses i've seen in this thread

Quote:
Nope.

Just usually pretty vocal about things.
clearly, since you got like 10x more posts than i got. and you a month older than i am in GC years. vocal ain't got nothing on you.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by librasoul22
All of the black women were waiting with baited breath to see if they could EVER possibly attract the galant knight, UF Pike. Alas, sadly it is not meant to be.

Er..uh..

lol..

I think I speak for every woman with ANY African/black heritage when I say

THANK GOD!
Hey, I'm a white girl... and if I ever meet our "oh-so-intelligent friend" UF Pike, you can bet for sure that he'd get a good, old fashion, swift kick in the nuts.
Closed Thread