GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,274
2 members and 1,272 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands

Old 11-22-2005, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

No, I think they meant before.... Like, if Tri-Kappa was founded BEFORE the KKK (I'm assuming that's what 1867 was - the founding date of the Klan?) then it's all good, but if they founded AFTER the Klan they should have thought about wearing KKK letters.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I think the point was WEARING letters is a relativly recent thing. I don't think our founders ever WORE letters.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
I think the point was WEARING letters is a relativly recent thing. I don't think our founders ever WORE letters.
That's probably true, but I guess you need to define "recent." I've seen some fairly old pictures of students wearing Greek letters.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Recent = NOT 1867
Old 11-22-2005, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

No Tri-Kappa has nothing to do with the KKK... although it has stopped a few people from Joining...

The members have been wanting to change the name for a few years, but since it is being disbanded we don't see the reason anymore, you know? I really don't think people thought of the KKK when they were naming Tri-Kappa. Tri-Kappa just sounds cool.. no one really calls it KKK or Kappa Kappa Kappa, unless they are making fun of it..lol..

Their motto is "Sisters of the Key"... I have always assumed that the Kappas stood for three different keys.. Key to sisterhood, Key of ______, and Key to _________.

anyway...

I didn't know that Theta Nu Xi was a Muticultural Sorority... interesting. :-) ONE .. that is nice.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by Koinoinia
I didn't know that Theta Nu Xi was a Muticultural Sorority... interesting. :-) ONE .. that is nice.
I know the men's club was just founded in the spring of this year. I ALSO know that when naming new clubs, students should NOT use the names of existing national organizations. What happened?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

You've got to be kidding me!!!!! Since when did we have a bazillion people (read: three) on GC who know about Harding University and/or Searcy?!?!

My grandparents retired to Searcy from Chicago and lived there over 20 years - I've been to Harding more times than I can count. My grandfather actually lived in the "Harding Place" retirement home located on campus.

For what it's worth, I always thought the social clubs seemed a little unusual (for the lack of a better word). It seemed like the university didn't want to students to participate in fraternities and sororities, yet allowed them to have these "social clubs" which operated just like fraternities and sororities. But hey, I didn't attend Harding so I can't really say....

......Kelly

True and Constant
Old 11-22-2005, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
I know the men's club was just founded in the spring of this year. I ALSO know that when naming new clubs, students should NOT use the names of existing national organizations. What happened?
I have no clue... hmm.. I will look into that (talk to a few people from the club, and the head of the club process)...

Personally, I am not into the whole club thing.. At least, I do not understand Harding's clubs. Harding is a private Christian university and I would think that clubs are kind of against some of our .... teachings?... Well.. at least the Animal House view of a fraternity/sorority... But I am a Queen for a mens' club, so I guess I really can't say much.. Although, I can promise you that the club I am a queen for isn't the typical mens' club (as viewed through some of my friends' frats/sororities)... at least from what I have seen. My Guys don't have keggers. They don't try to sleep with as many girls as possible... and we recently had pledge week and they didn't do anything Harding would consider bad... But I cannot speak for all the mens' clubs on campus... I am sure that there are something things going on "behind Harding's back" ... I've heard the stories.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
I remember that Mad TV sketch with Kappa Kappa Kappa. It was funny. That poor, hapless pledge... oh yeah, and I know a girl from Searcy. She goes to Baylor now. Alright, I'm done with the angry rants. Stay up.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I am honestly not angry at all.. I never liked Kappa Sigma Kappa... they got on my nerves.. well most of them did.. there were one or two good guys... And if I offended anyone or made anyone mad, it was unintentional. I just wanted to come onto this forum and inform others about Harding and our social clubs (at least what I know of it).

My apologies if I did offend.

As ^^that^^ person said... Y'all stay up.

I will answer questions if anyone has any...
Old 11-25-2005, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Harding / Sigs

I think it needs to be made clear that Harding, although a fine university, certainly plays under different rules than most state universities. Koinoinia, I'm sure you are simply expressing your feelings, however, I feel you are not very accurate or showing your fellow Christian students much respect. Although Sigs may have had a reputation of being more on the party side of Harding, I know many current Sigs and former Sigs that have made life-long friendships through the club and its activities. In a report on the Little Rock news station, one former Sig made a statement that seems to fit this situation well. He said, "If Jesus was a student at Harding, He would have been kicked out a long time ago." Harding simply plays under its own sense of morality. Forgiveness, in most situations, is few and far between. To those that belong to actual Greek fratenities and sororities, please do not look at this situation, or comments about this situation, with disdain. Although social clubs at Harding use greek lettes for club names, they do not represent anything greek. Nor does Harding accept or allow greek organization.
I think Harding, and it appears many of its current students, needs to get a grip on what they want to represent to the rest of the college community. Specifically, kicking people out of school, disbaning social clubs, or regulating rules that are ridiculous for anyone to follow, is simply starting cast an evil light on what is essentially a great university. I hope God has a little more forgiveness than is expressed at Harding.

So, just so you know, my wife was a "queen" for Sigs during a very difficult time at Harding. It was that group of guys that both of us owe a lot of gratitude to. We have maintained life long friendships with many of the guys, who although not perfect (who is?), still have compassion and show a true spirit. Honestly, the Sigs at Harding, probably showed more of greek spirit than any other club at Harding. For that, they should be commended. Good luck Sigs, in all you do.

Former Harding student, Sig friend.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Re: Harding / Sigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Tripod 3
He said, "If Jesus was a student at Harding, He would have been kicked out a long time ago."
I would venture to say this is true of ALL Christian colleges and universities in this country.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
To those that belong to actual Greek fratenities and sororities, please do not look at this situation, or comments about this situation, with disdain. Although social clubs at Harding use greek lettes for club names, they do not represent anything greek.
what is your definition of "Actual"?
Old 11-26-2005, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
what is your definition of "Actual"?
I believe "we only use Greek letters because they fit on a shirt but we really just pulled them out of the air and we're nothing like those terrible national fraternities and sororities except for exactly."

LOL.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

My definition would be that a society of people, usually oraganized at a college or university, that shares in social and/or business related activities. These groups have organziation that goes above and beyond the university level. Often members can continue in these activities even after graduation. These groups have tradition, thrive on life-long friendships, and are organized for a purpose.

Social clubs at Harding, although similar, fail to meet some of the these criteria. The university does not allow social groups to be organized beyond the university level. This whole story cast a very poor light on what is a great school. And I just want to make sure everyone know that the "Sigs" at Harding were a great group of guys and this "hazing" incident is probably nothing like you would expect it to be. It's all pretty ridiculous and I certainly just want to help represent an overall great group of people. Thanks.