GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,345
0 members and 2,345 guests
No Members online

Old 05-09-2003, 04:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauSIGGY Send a message via Yahoo to nauSIGGY
To all Men in Fraternities

I don't know about your GLO's or chapters, but my chapter gets very offended when people use the term 'frat'. is this common among any of you other GLO's out there?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-09-2003, 05:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to docetboy Send a message via Yahoo to docetboy
My chapter is the same way....

We aren't a bunch of frat boys *always* (key word always) getting drunk and throwing parties...if you want that, go join one of the other houses on campus.

We are Kappa Sigma Fraternity, not the Kappa Sigma Frat. We aren't frat boys, we are Fraternal men.

Old 05-09-2003, 05:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to sfasammy Send a message via AIM to sfasammy
Same here. I know a lot of guys in my chapter get offended if the word "frat" is used instead of "fraternity." Then they make a statement that goes something like "It's a 'fraternity', not a 'frat'...would you ever call your 'country' your 'cunt'?"
Old 05-09-2003, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

*Shrug*. No, but I'd call my telephone a 'phone.
Like docetboy says, it's generally down to the word 'frat' being associated with an old fashioned predominantly 'Animal House' image which misleadingly suggests all fraternity members do is have keg parties, hazing, toga parties and slobber over girls. I'd guess that's why your GLO gets offended when the term is used, nauSIGGY. All the hard work on academics, philanthropy, leadership training, safe events etc., are all impliedly brushed aside by the 'drink-till-you-get-alcohol-poisoning' "fratboy" image! Most members on GC know what is *actually* involved in GLOs; a lot of people only ever see the media image (haze/drink/haze/drink) and the less we associate our own GLOs to those images (via use of terms which suggest all these things to people) the better for us.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Frat has a certain negative connotation.

We don't use it.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-09-2003, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I know the thread is to all men, but as a sorority woman, I've always thought "frat" was derogatory. I've always referred to fraternity houses, fraternity parties, fraternity men, etc. It strikes me as strange sometimes when I hear fraternity men say frat. I knew a Pike several years ago who said that he hated the term "frat guy", so I never used it after that. Glad to hear that this is a common thing amongst you all.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by decadence
*Shrug*. No, but I'd call my telephone a 'phone.
Beautiful, decadence! I've always thought that "would you call your 'country' your 'c*#t'" is one of the most stupid comparisons possible, since last time I checked "frat" wasn't considered obscene. People shorten names for things and institutions all the time without meaning or conveying any disrespect. Just ask the students at Caltech.

As for me, I don't use the word "frat," but I don't get offended at all if someone else uses it, as long as it doesn't appear that the person using it means it in a derogatory or disrespectful sense -- even then, its going to be a very small degree of offense. Without question, "frat" has taken on the derogatory connotations that others here have described. But I'd rather save my "I'm-offended energy" for bigger things.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

The Alpha Men that I know call each other "Frat" as a synonym for "Brother."

Example: "What's up, Frat? How's it going?"

On the whole, I don't think we have a problem with the word Frat as an abbreviation for Fraternity. This is probably the same in other NPHC orgs, but I can't speak for them.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter uses the term "frat" quite frequently.

Example:

1. "Hey, you wanna go over to the frat and watch the game?"
2. "Me and the fratties are going to get a burger, wanna come with?"

Now, when discussing the fraternity with your mother or father, or a colleague:

1. "My fraternity was founded in 1839"
2. "Yes, I was (and still am) in a fraternity in college. How 'bout you?"

I do get disturbed when a non-greek attacks the system, and uses terms such as "frat house", "frat guy" or "in a frat".

Its kinda like the word "cracker". If you ain't one, don't be using the word.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:02 AM

I believe I used the word "frat" only once, and was quickly reprimanded by my boyfriend's friend, who was Greek. Since then, it's like nails on a chalkboard. Using it makes you sound like uneducated trash.

The way NPHC groups use it is another matter entirely.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I say 'frat party' and 'frat house' only in a casual joking way, when the guys are doi8ng something stupid like, "oh i guess billy and bob are doing case races again over at the frat house." they deserve it then, really. more than anything i skip it altogether and say "house." it rolls off better than fraterrnity.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
From a LXA website:

A fraternity man joins a fraternity for the rich friendships and growth it brings to his life.

A frat boy joins a fraternity and expects others to take care of him; he generally pays his dues late.

A fraternity man, if he drinks, realizes he must drink responsibly.

The frat boy drinks to get drunk and becomes disgusting.

A fraternity man understands others are watching and knows his actions impact his fraternity.

A frat boy has no idea how his actions impact others and he doesn't care.

A fraternity man does what's right, even when nobody's watching.

A frat boy puts on a show for the world, but when nobody's watching, is rude and vulgar.

A fraternity man is a campus leader, who takes part in activities offered on campus.

A frat boy does not become involved and steps away from positions of leadership.

A fraternity man focuses on his class work and uses his time wisely.

A frat boy may go to class, but usually misses one or two while recovering from the night before.

A fraternity man spends time with alumni and has respect for them, realizing that much can be learned from those who have come before him.

A frat boy is disrespectful towards his elders and the alumni, and eventually runs them off.

Lambda Chi Alpha --- Fraternity men, not "frat boys"
Old 05-09-2003, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

at my school, fraternities are called "houses". nobody really uses the term fraternity or frat. you always say "what house are you in?" or "lets go up to the house"
Old 05-09-2003, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I can definatly say that we hate the word frat, for all its negative connotations. I don't think I have ever heard someone use "frat" in a positive way. "Oh your just a bunch of FRAT boys," ect. I think LXAAlum put it best with his post, and we actually have a section of our national newsletter called our very own frat boys, where our national Headquarters tells us about chapters that have screwed up and how they were punished.

Another question... We were told last year at a Greek leadership forum that we shouldn't refer to chapters as houses, because some chapters don't have houses and may be offended. What are your thoughts??
Old 05-09-2003, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
We have a little saying in our chapter:

Don't call it a frat, it's a fraternity. Would you call your country a c*&#? - Yes, I'm sure you all know what that word is....

That is all....