GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,146
2 members and 2,144 guests
Low D Flat, zdaidjunioro429

Old 08-18-2004, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

The Cookout

When Todd Anderson (Storm P) is chosen as the #1 professional basketbal draft pick and signs to play for his home team, the New Jersey Nets, for $30 million, he finds that his newfound wealth means his relationships with the people in his life is bound to change. This becomes evident when he decides to throw the sort of family/neighborhood cookout his family has always had during the summer at his new house in a stuffy white neighborhood, which means that there's going to be more than one type of culture clash, between his new and old friends, and those who like him for him, and those who like him for his money. The event is timed to coincide with Todd's first endorsement deal announcement, which only accentuates the difference between his roots and his newfound fame. Watching over the proceedings is the neighborhood association's security guard (Queen Latifah), who's there to make none of their rules get broken... although that is certainly guaranteed with Todd's rowdy family and friends in attendance.

Starring:
Storm P Eve
Frankie Faison Farrah Fawcett
Danny Glover Queen Latifah
Jenifer Lewis Tim Meadows
Vincent Pastore Ja Rule
Jonathan Silverman Godfrey Danchimah
Meagan Good Maria Soccor
Ruperto Vanderpool Quran Pender
Ja Rulet Jennifer Lewis

Director: Lance Rivera

Producer: Darryl 'Latee' French
Mike Elliott

Screenwriter: Ramsey Gbelawoe
Arthur Harris
Jeffery Brian Holmes
Laurie Turner
Stephanie Marquardt

so i guess Soul Plane landed? and hth did farrah fawcett get in this movie? but, i will say that this is about the kind of cast i expected to be in queen latifah's beautyshop movie instead of who kevin bacon, aaron carter, etc.

I Stay Woke!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-18-2004, 07:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I saw the preview of this last night and had so much to say but I will keep it to myself.

When I saw Danny Glover, I was like WOW!!
Old 08-18-2004, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
I think I saw the preview to Cook Out when I went to see Spider Man, and all I could say then, and all I can say now is.......OK.

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 08-18-2004, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to btb87 Send a message via Yahoo to btb87
I'll probably go see it. I was dragged, kicking and screaming, to see Soul Plane. This same "friend" picked Beloved too and I told her that I hadn't forgiven her for that, so she gets to pick no more movies.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know y'all. I was also like WTF when I saw Danny Glover.

I recently saw Butterfly Effect and was talking to my SO who said that white folks always want to look into their past and see what happened to explain why their lives may be screwed up. Not all white people but he was basically saying that Black folks don't get all psych-ish and just leave well enough alone. I love psych movies but I was wondering why Black folks never do them. His comments made me think that the reason why is that we aren't believable in those roles. Like "Black folks would never go back to their old neighborhood and confront their sexual abuser to go on with their lives" type deal. But I disagree. He then said that eclectic people or more academically inclined (I am in a PhD program and so therefore the whole gist of my life is to question $hit) are more likely to "relate" but not everyone.

I was disappointed. Why are all our movies about family reunions and cookouts and hair salons? I mean, sure these are staples in our communities but we have "issues" to. It almost comes off like "white people are so mentally "free" due to their lack of oppression that they have "time" to do the psych-y thing but we got so much going on that we really ain't got time to be wondering why our childhoods were the way they were, etc. and how they may affect us as adults" We then thought of actors who could have easily played Ashton Kutcher (of all people) role. We could name like 10 AA actors who could have pulled that off easily.

I JUST saw an ad for a movie called "The Forgotten" with the red head chick from Hannibal (forgot her name...Julianne Moore) and I was like "I will see it, but again, why do they get the "thriller" type movies and we get this BS?" Are we not writing these scripts?

Okay, I'm done ranting. Long story short, probably will wait for DVD...which is the week it comes out if you live in Compton.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Originally posted by DELTABRAT
I don't know y'all. I was also like WTF when I saw Danny Glover.

I recently saw Butterfly Effect and was talking to my SO who said that white folks always want to look into their past and see what happened to explain why their lives may be screwed up. Not all white people but he was basically saying that Black folks don't get all psych-ish and just leave well enough alone. I love psych movies but I was wondering why Black folks never do them. His comments made me think that the reason why is that we aren't believable in those roles. Like "Black folks would never go back to their old neighborhood and confront their sexual abuser to go on with their lives" type deal. But I disagree. He then said that eclectic people or more academically inclined (I am in a PhD program and so therefore the whole gist of my life is to question $hit) are more likely to "relate" but not everyone.

I was disappointed. Why are all our movies about family reunions and cookouts and hair salons? I mean, sure these are staples in our communities but we have "issues" to. It almost comes off like "white people are so mentally "free" due to their lack of oppression that they have "time" to do the psych-y thing but we got so much going on that we really ain't got time to be wondering why our childhoods were the way they were, etc. and how they may affect us as adults" We then thought of actors who could have easily played Ashton Kutcher (of all people) role. We could name like 10 AA actors who could have pulled that off easily.

I JUST saw an ad for a movie called "The Forgotten" with the red head chick from Hannibal (forgot her name...Julianne Moore) and I was like "I will see it, but again, why do they get the "thriller" type movies and we get this BS?" Are we not writing these scripts?

Okay, I'm done ranting. Long story short, probably will wait for DVD...which is the week it comes out if you live in Compton.
Excellent rant. I've thought about this for a while. I wish that we could have heavier stories, but maybe there's a sense that we won't support them, which I think is wrong. Many of us who are over 35 would like more balance in black films.

On the other hand, I think that many AfAm moviegoers are in their teens and early 20s, so the studios think lighter, less substantial fare is the way to bring the money in.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steeltrap
Excellent rant. I've thought about this for a while. I wish that we could have heavier stories, but maybe there's a sense that we won't support them, which I think is wrong. Many of us who are over 35 would like more balance in black films.

On the other hand, I think that many AfAm moviegoers are in their teens and early 20s, so the studios think lighter, less substantial fare is the way to bring the money in.
Good point ST. I agree. However, I have afrined who writes for Disney and recently pitched a movie to MTV about the Black college experience but on a PW campus (basically our experience) and she was told that Balck people don't want to see that. Make the heroine a white girl who has a few Black friends, has the same issues but tell her story instead and they'd think about it. She couldn't do that and is still shopping her script.

I think you hit the nail on the head but dang.

Meanwhile, my Sands just sent me this FYI

As you may have already learned from our website, Proposition 63 is planning a movie night next week to celebrate the release of “People Say I’m Crazy”, a documentary by an artist with schizophrenia. The film will air on Cinemax at 7 PM on Wednesday, August 18th. John Cadigan and his sister Katie, who is a filmmaker, created this film over the span of 10 years to show the progression of John’s illness and his recovery. It is a compelling story of mental illness and the need for treatment and support. The film has won several awards and critical acclaim. We are teaming up with the filmmakers to have events on August 18th. CCCMHA will double all donations made on this evening just as they matched donations in July. The Cadigans have even agreed to put together a promotional piece on Proposition 63 for hosts to play after the film! And it gets better…

See....
Old 08-18-2004, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DELTABRAT
Good point ST. I agree. However, I have afrined who writes for Disney and recently pitched a movie to MTV about the Black college experience but on a PW campus (basically our experience) and she was told that Balck people don't want to see that. Make the heroine a white girl who has a few Black friends, has the same issues but tell her story instead and they'd think about it. She couldn't do that and is still shopping her script.

I think you hit the nail on the head but dang.

Meanwhile, my Sands just sent me this FYI

As you may have already learned from our website, Proposition 63 is planning a movie night next week to celebrate the release of “People Say I’m Crazy”, a documentary by an artist with schizophrenia. The film will air on Cinemax at 7 PM on Wednesday, August 18th. John Cadigan and his sister Katie, who is a filmmaker, created this film over the span of 10 years to show the progression of John’s illness and his recovery. It is a compelling story of mental illness and the need for treatment and support. The film has won several awards and critical acclaim. We are teaming up with the filmmakers to have events on August 18th. CCCMHA will double all donations made on this evening just as they matched donations in July. The Cadigans have even agreed to put together a promotional piece on Proposition 63 for hosts to play after the film! And it gets better…

See....
I hope that your friend finds somebody to pick up that script. That's where owning a studio would come in handy. I can tell you that I'd go see that movie if it ever comes out. I went to a very PWI in Los Angeles, your rival school across town.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I hope that your friend finds somebody to pick up that script. That's where owning a studio would come in handy. I can tell you that I'd go see that movie if it ever comes out. I went to a very PWI in Los Angeles, your rival school across town.
Is that right? Did you pledge undergrad? If so, when? I think I know more than a few of your chapter sorors if you did. Even if you are (eh-ehm) "old school" you still may know them. PM me.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Sometimes I question our taste in programming. I remember how excited I was when CBS aired Frank's Place, which was a quality program. But few of US watched the show, and the ratings never amounted to much.

Surely there must be enough people of African descent who crave movies that portray us outside prisons, class reunions, family reunions and barbershops. With few exceptions, I stopped going to movies ages ago mostly because of how we are depicted.

The black experience in this country is multifaceted and very rich, and the stories need to be told in documentaries, films, magazines and newspapers. I know you know this. I've been fighting this battle in journalism for more than 20 years, and had hoped that by now there would be noticeable progress. NOT!

Is there are listserv for people like me to rant and come up some solutions to this problem?
Old 08-20-2004, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a student of mass communications, and I feel every word that you all are saying.

A lot of the "Black folks won't watch it" argument is pure crap. One of the media's functions is the agenda setting function. They dictate what we think about and tell us what we are interested in. But it is crap to think that we won't watch more multifaceted movies involving Black characters. We will. They don't want to make those movies. They don't want us, or anyone else, to see us outside of the box.

Another thing that bugs me about it is that there is enough money in our comunity, and especially amongst Black Hollywood, for us to own our own studios. What's stopping us? We need to start controlling our image. Imagine if these rappers would invest in production houses and film companies, rather than pimp juice, vodka, clothing lines, and basketball teams. Imagine if Magic invested in production companies instead of theatres. He's on the right track, but could go deeper.

That's my rant, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: I can't sleep at night when you are on my mind. Billie Womack is on the radio saying if you think your lonely now... what a minute that is too deep. I have to change the station...
Send a message via AIM to reddawn18 Send a message via Yahoo to reddawn18
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivy2Love
Sometimes I question our taste in programming. I remember how excited I was when CBS aired Frank's Place, which was a quality program. But few of US watched the show, and the ratings never amounted to much.

Surely there must be enough people of African descent who crave movies that portray us outside prisons, class reunions, family reunions and barbershops. With few exceptions, I stopped going to movies ages ago mostly because of how we are depicted.

The black experience in this country is multifaceted and very rich, and the stories need to be told in documentaries, films, magazines and newspapers. I know you know this. I've been fighting this battle in journalism for more than 20 years, and had hoped that by now there would be noticeable progress. NOT!

Is there are listserv for people like me to rant and come up some solutions to this problem?
Ivy, you are correct. I am with you that many may believe that the AfAm market is all about superficial dramas, comedies and such.

As a journalist, as well, I hate seeing our people acting... well, stupid. For instance, for many years I held my own against the Parkers. I was tired of seeing BBW women chasing men and our people acting stupid. It felt like a slap to my face.

Everyone in my family kept saying watch it. Its funny.

I think these days alot of entertainers are just happy to get on the screen before they realize the character they protray, the outside world will think is true.

Now, one show that is on the bubble of what could be a "change" in AfAm viewership in my opinion is Kevin Hill. Though the premise is the same as some drama that came before it (there was a movie and TV show on ABC for a short while staring a white professional woman as the lead character), it may make it.

But that may is very weak. Over and over again, shows like Kevin Hill that is smart and edgy do not perform well in AfAm market. I hope this changes! I am looking forward to the show.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reddawn18
Ivy, you are correct. I am with you that many may believe that the AfAm market is all about superficial dramas, comedies and such.

As a journalist, as well, I hate seeing our people acting... well, stupid. For instance, for many years I held my own against the Parkers. I was tired of seeing BBW women chasing men and our people acting stupid. It felt like a slap to my face.

Everyone in my family kept saying watch it. Its funny.

I think these days alot of entertainers are just happy to get on the screen before they realize the character they protray, the outside world will think is true.

Now, one show that is on the bubble of what could be a "change" in AfAm viewership in my opinion is Kevin Hill. Though the premise is the same as some drama that came before it (there was a movie and TV show on ABC for a short while staring a white professional woman as the lead character), it may make it.

But that may is very weak. Over and over again, shows like Kevin Hill that is smart and edgy do not perform well in AfAm market. I hope this changes! I am looking forward to the show.
The Parkers was a ghastly show, IMO. I tried to watch it, but it was excruciating. On the other hand, it does have a right to exist. However, shows like that have to be balanced by more intelligent fare.
I think I will watch Kevin Hill.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boom_Quack13
I am a student of mass communications, and I feel every word that you all are saying.

A lot of the "Black folks won't watch it" argument is pure crap. One of the media's functions is the agenda setting function. They dictate what we think about and tell us what we are interested in. But it is crap to think that we won't watch more multifaceted movies involving Black characters. We will. They don't want to make those movies. They don't want us, or anyone else, to see us outside of the box.

Another thing that bugs me about it is that there is enough money in our comunity, and especially amongst Black Hollywood, for us to own our own studios. What's stopping us? We need to start controlling our image. Imagine if these rappers would invest in production houses and film companies, rather than pimp juice, vodka, clothing lines, and basketball teams. Imagine if Magic invested in production companies instead of theatres. He's on the right track, but could go deeper.

That's my rant, and I'm sticking to it.
Say that again!!! I am tired of seeing an abundance of these movies and tv shows like The Cookout or The Parkers (which is a HORRIBLE show). While some of these movies are indeed funny, some are just plain dumb, and serve to only perpetuate the stereotypical image many people have of blacks... I'm young enough to be considered in the "young-people's market", and I WANT TO SEE QUALITY MOVIES!!! All that talk about we won't be interested is pure crap!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The Parkers was a ghastly show, IMO. I tried to watch it, but it was excruciating. On the other hand, it does have a right to exist. However, shows like that have to be balanced by more intelligent fare.
I think I will watch Kevin Hill.
Yeah, Kevin Hill looks quality. Although Taye Diggs can ...