GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,196
1 members and 2,195 guests
Xidelt

Old 11-08-2004, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing another fraternity after joining question

I was fairly unfamiliar with the greek system and I was recruited by a certain fraternity on campus this fall. After a few weeks, I had made my mind up that I wanted to rush another fraternity this spring. Is it possible to do so? I have read and heard contradicting statements on this. I am somewhat confused because the fraternity I joined does not label new members "pledges". This is their first semester on campus. I have talked to a greek life conselor and he said that I should not have a problem, but I just want to make sure before I quit my current franternity. I have not paid semester dues or even filled out my new member card that goes to the school. Should I have a problem rushing a new fraternity this spring thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-08-2004, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

First question -- were you actually initiated into the fraternity that you were recruited by in the fall? Would the fraternity consider you a full member?

Second question -- what kind of fraternity is the fraternity you were recruited by in the fall? NIC? Local? Other? (I'm assuming it's not NPHC based on your description of "recruitment" and "rushing.") Is it a member of the campus IFC or similar org?

Third question -- what kind of fraternity is the fraternity you want to rush now?

If you were not fully initiated in the first fraternity, regardless of whether you were called a "pledge" or not, you are probably okay for quiting and rushing a second fraternity, regardless of what types of fraternities you're talking about.

Assuming you were actually fully initiated, and assuming that both fraternities are NIC fraternities or are members of the IFC, you definitely cannot pledge/join the second fraternity as long as the national office of the first fraternity certifies in writing that you are not a member. Even with such documentation in writing, some NIC fraternities have their own policies that would preclude you from being considered for membership. Even if there is no such national policy, some chapters would not consider you for membership. That said, some would, and any chapter that was willing to consider you would probably have a great deal of interest in why you quit the first fraternity.

If the fraternities in question are not NIC or IFC fraternities, then as far as I know, it will pretty much be up the policies of the individual fraternities in question (in mine, for example, you cannot "quit" per se) and the feelings of the chapter you want to rush.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

The fraternity I am in is IFC and i would be rushing an IFC fraternity in the spring. I have not done any rituals and I have only participated in pinning which was open to every one and is not a private ritual. thanks for your response
Old 11-08-2004, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like you "joined" a colony. And while each campus is different, and as such, there may be different guidelines, from what you've written...

Quote:
"I have not paid semester dues or even filled out my new member card that goes to the school"
and...
Quote:
"I have talked to a greek life counselor and he said that I should not have a problem"
as well as...
Quote:
"This is their first semester on campus."
I would say that in general, it should be fine to rush in the spring. However - and isn't there often a however - however, some specific chapters may have an issue.

If you are interested in rushing a specific chapter or chapters in the spring, my suggestion would be to assess if they - the other chapters - are open to rushing men who are in your situation (i.e. withdrew from the colony).

I am not sure if you will need some sort of a release from the current chapter since you stated you didn't sign your membership card. But to be safe, be sure to check with the Greek Life Counselor about this.

An additional piece of advice. Do not dwell on the reasons why you withdrew - or didn't sign your card as the case may be - from the previous fraternity. But if asked, keep your reply short, simple, honest and positive. Then move on. This applies to now and when you rush in the spring.

Again, most chapters will not have an issue with you based on what you have written.

Best of luck.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Then probably you can trust what your Greek life advisor told you.

I would expect the chapter you want to rush to ask questions about why you quit the first fraternity, though. TSteven is right about how you should respond.

But remember that rushing the second fraternity this spring doesn't equal getting a bid from them.

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2004, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MysticCat81
But remember that rushing the second fraternity this spring doesn't equal getting a bid from them.
Ditto.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for your responses guys