GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,173
0 members and 2,173 guests
No Members online

Old 04-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal026 View Post
I had a cake tasting on Saturday, and the baker put a generous layer of buttercream under the fondant. I thought it tasted great with the fondant, but my fiance loved that it was easy to peel it off, and he still got tasty icing underneath
That sounds yummy, too!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Plus, of course, we WILL have an enormous cookie table!
Oh thank goodness I re-read your post. The first time I missed this and was about to ask!

A friend of mine actually had more of a cookie garden - she said it was several tables of cookies and you entered through an arbor. Thats a lot of cookies!

War Eagle
Old 04-07-2008, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Plus, of course, we WILL have an enormous cookie table!
Okay, it is time for this tradition to go nationwide! I had never heard of such a thing until GC, and let me say... it is a fabulous idea!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:20 PM

Question: are cookie tables mostly specific to particular regions of the country (i.e. OH/PA/midwest)?

I live in Ohio, and I have only ever seen cookie tables here and in PA. Any wedding I've attended outside of OH/PA didn't have one.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-07-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I vote regional. My mother-in-law told me about the one she and Dad had at their wedding and it sounded wonderful. Evidently Dad's mom called in favors from all her friend and they had an amazing table. I used the idea at my wedding and had a chocolate table instead of a cookies table- candies, grasshopper brownies, moon pies, etc. The browines were my favorite part!

Growing up in the south, I had never ever heard of this and was familar with the "cake and punch" receptions. I like the Western PA traditions much better!

War Eagle
Old 04-07-2008, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Question: are cookie tables mostly specific to particular regions of the country (i.e. OH/PA/midwest)?

I live in Ohio, and I have only ever seen cookie tables here and in PA. Any wedding I've attended outside of OH/PA didn't have one.
A lot of it depends on the backgrounds of the bride and groom. I've been to a lot of eastern European, Eastern Orthodox and Greek Orthodox weddings everywhere, and they always have cookie tables (note: plural). Italian weddings have been similar.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
A lot of it depends on the backgrounds of the bride and groom. I've been to a lot of eastern European, Eastern Orthodox and Greek Orthodox weddings everywhere, and they always have cookie tables (note: plural). Italian weddings have been similar.
I think both of these are true. I didn't have a cookie table, because my parents considered it not part of our ethnic group. But that's gone out the window - I went to a purely Scots wedding last year (kilts and all), and they had THREE cookie tables!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

DD had as her groom's cake: a huge stack of Krispy Kreme doughnuts! It was big hit.

I love cookies WAY more than cake. Had no idea there was such a thing as cookie tables! I think I need to get married again...

Old 04-08-2008, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
One more time for the people in the back:

cookie table evangelism is go !
Old 04-08-2008, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I'm Greek Orthodox, got married in Arizona, and while I didn't have a "cookie table" per se, I did have a dessert table with all kinds of Greek sweets--baklava, diples, kourambiedes, koulourakia, etc. It was insane. All the women in my family were stockpiling butter, sugar, flour and honey for WEEKS before the wedding! Everyone went home laden with pastries.

Growing up in New York, we used to see variations on the cookie table called a "Viennese Table." On those, you usually had an assortment of cakes, cookies, and other pastries like eclairs and cannolis. Talk about a sugar high.

Anyway, I love the idea of cookie/dessert/what-have-you tables! The more sweets, the better I say!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
I'm going to a wedding with cupcakes in about two and a half weeks. The bride to be was telling a few of us this past weekend that there's going to be almost double the number of cupcakes to attendees. If I remember, I'll take some pictures of the cupcakes (and post them) - but only if they're cute.

I really wish the cookie table idea would go nationwide, I love cookies.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeklawgirl View Post
I'm Greek Orthodox, got married in Arizona, and while I didn't have a "cookie table" per se, I did have a dessert table with all kinds of Greek sweets--baklava, diples, kourambiedes, koulourakia, etc. It was insane. All the women in my family were stockpiling butter, sugar, flour and honey for WEEKS before the wedding! Everyone went home laden with pastries.

Growing up in New York, we used to see variations on the cookie table called a "Viennese Table." On those, you usually had an assortment of cakes, cookies, and other pastries like eclairs and cannolis. Talk about a sugar high.

Anyway, I love the idea of cookie/dessert/what-have-you tables! The more sweets, the better I say!

NOTE TO SELF: Have Greeklaw girl call in favors of her greek relatives to help her make massive amounts of baklava to bring to San Francisco with her in Sept......
Old 04-12-2008, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

My brother's wedding was catered by GreekLawGirl's relatives.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Some photos my sister took of our cakes (before the tables were all nicely decorated):

^^^This cake was very good - two layers of Bailey's flavor pound cake and one layer of pineapple coconut pound cake

^^^This cake is actually a double chocolate cheesecake disguised as regular cake. Also super yummy

Anyone in the Atlanta area, this baker is AMAZING. The best cheesecake in the world --- http://classiccheesecakesandcakes.com/
Old 04-16-2008, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^
i am so not into cheesecake, but this LOOKS and sounds amazing. double chocolate anything is o.k. in my book. :-)