GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,502
4 members and 2,498 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 07-30-2013, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, thank you! I'll just have to work on keeping myself calm and not psyche myself out.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-30-2013, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Absolutely!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
She is your recruitment contact. Talk with her about all things to do with recruitment. That's what she is there for. She has no vote with her group and is supposed to totally be disaffiliated from them. And depending on the campus, she may not even be a member of one of the groups there.
That said, DO NOT talk to your Rho Gamma about the time you shot a man in Reno. Your Rho Gamma is not going to say anything to her chapter about a PNM being awkward or clueless or stuff like that, but if you were to confess something REALLY BAD to her, it would indeed get back to the chapter.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

And if you tell her in confidence what a bitch you think those tri-betas are, you can bet she either IS one or knows half of that chapter, among them her best friend. Ask all the questions you want but nothing that smacks of tiers or preferences and most definitely nothing negative.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

:S I will definitely keep the conversations friendly and positive then. Would it be bad to ask her general questions about her sorority experiences or related topics? I wouldn't want to say anything that would cause her to reveal herself!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
And if you tell her in confidence what a bitch you think those tri-betas are, you can bet she either IS one or knows half of that chapter, among them her best friend. Ask all the questions you want but nothing that smacks of tiers or preferences and most definitely nothing negative.
I wouldn't go that far. I think you can fairly talk to your RG about which houses you like most. You just want to do it WITHOUT bashing the ones you don't like, i.e. "XYZ didn't really feel like it was for me," not "XYZ is full of fatties."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiareNoire View Post
:S I will definitely keep the conversations friendly and positive then. Would it be bad to ask her general questions about her sorority experiences or related topics? I wouldn't want to say anything that would cause her to reveal herself!
Ask away!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, so I have another question. I read a recruitment tips list online by a current sorority member and one of her tips was to be truthful with a chapter if you don't feel it is the one for you. Ex. If you don't like the chapter, tell them respectful that while it is a great chapter, you'd feel more at home in another or something along those lines otherwise they will keep inviting you back if you don't speak up! Is this okay to do during recruitment or not advisable to do?
Old 08-02-2013, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Okay, so I have another question. I read a recruitment tips list online by a current sorority member and one of her tips was to be truthful with a chapter if you don't feel it is the one for you. Ex. If you don't like the chapter, tell them respectful that while it is a great chapter, you'd feel more at home in another or something along those lines otherwise they will keep inviting you back if you don't speak up! Is this okay to do during recruitment or not advisable to do?
Not advisable. Not okay.

While you attend each party, focus on what is positive and concentrate on what you like about the chapter, party, philanthropy, etc.

If you feel the need to share something with an active, share that.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
No. Rude. Remember the position that you're in. You're not "shopping for" or "choosing a chapter." Common misconception is that what YOU want is all that matters in recruitment. Could not be further from the truth.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

To All PNMs reading this thread:

Where the hell did you read THAT piece of "advice"? That is arguably the most awful piece of advice given by "a current sorority member" (and I have my doubts about THAT too), and is guaranteed to put a speedy end to your recruitment. Word travels FAST.

For the love of Mike, go to each and every party and be kind, respectful, and on your very best behavior. Recruitment is NOT The Bachelorette.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-02-2013, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

See, I didn't think that was right at all so that's why I asked since I was confused as to why a sorority member would ever even consider that as a tip. Also I can link the post but it obviously wasn't from here! I couldn't do it even if it was given to me as advice. I thought that would be rude to do... The other tips on her list seemed pretty close to what you all would say on here but that specific tip just threw me off as I've come to learn recruitment is not really what the pnm wants, as you said KSUViolet06!

Last edited by TiareNoire; 08-02-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not mad at you. I am majorly annoyed that someone/anyone would put something that blatantly stupid out there for unsuspecting PNMs to read and possibly follow. Don't link to it unless you send it to me in a PM so I can go there and set her straight. What a dumbass (her, not you! I still wish you good luck and a happy recruitment).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

The thing is YOU DON'T KNOW where you will fit in the best. At round 1 you may think you know what's what, but you don't. In my case, I was cut by 3 chapters and was able to cut 1 (it was a LONG time ago). The last one on my list for round 2 turned out to be my chapter. Had I been "honest" in round 1, I would have had a very different outcome, and that would have been a real shame. Even at preference, a girl can be so confused, so stressed out, so swayed by others, that she thinks she knows what's what, but doesn't.

My version of this advice is if you are not feeling it, still be nice, still be enthusiastic, still try to find that connection, try to find common ground. The sad but truth is in 99% of the cases, they're picking you, not the reverse. Don't limit your choices because you need every option you can get. When you're at preference and you're totally confused, stressed out, whatever, and the sister asks what you're feeling, you can be honest that you are those things, but I still wouldn't tell them they're your second or last choice. First, it's rude. Second, in several hours you may be finding them on your bid card. And my advice is don't SIP (only put one on your MRABA form) and accept what you're given. You can drop out later if you feel you must, but if you stick it out and work at it, you'll probably end up happy. There are exceptions to this, but as a general rule, play along and you'll be happy.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for your responses! Also, thank you, DubaiSis for that extra advice! That would make a lot more sense.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Another question: I have recruitment coming up soon and I am wondering how social media plays into recruitment. For example, I have a twitter and every day i tweet about recruitment. Is it smart to basically live-post during recruitment about it or not at all?